Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 107
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 15th Jan 12, 6:43 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,921 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Sorry to hear of your loss, angelaatgraceland

And dobs There's plenty of time for moneysaving and counting the pennies later

Hey presto a beautiful and tasty cake. Not slimming I know but OS.
    Originally posted by Ninno820
    Yea, yea... you can't say that and not share it out I'll pop the kettle on

I have the same problem, my 2 dd go to their dads on a Sunday and he has to give them sunday lunch but he never gives them a proper lunch and they are usually hungry when they get home. Last week he gave them chocolate and a muffin, not exactly healthy food, grrr.

Tracey
    Originally posted by tracey12
    wot is it with dads n not feedin the kids rite!!! my ex is exactly the same! winds me up ded bad!!! especially on a saturday wen i dnt get bk home with her til 6.30 then i have to start cookin her something!! coz all shes had at t time in sum biscuit n carp like that! ARGGHHHH!
    Originally posted by linz4383
    Goodness knows, but I'm glad it's not just me

I've lost count of the amount of times she's come home and actually been sick cos he's only given her sweets, or just stuffed her silly with rubbish!

Was really surprised today; he sent her home with two new pairs of boots. One pair not quite what I would have chosen, but decent (and unheard of ) of him to get them!

Popped into Tesco and it looked like a plague of locusts had gotten there before me! The only loose bananas were bright green, so picked out one slightly more yellow one and will hope for the best for tomorrow's lunch

Also got some king edwards (JackieO, I agree, they're the best!) and... yorkshire puddings

So a spend of 2.36 brings the total up to 30.65 so far for the month.

Tonights dinner was roast beef, yorkshires, mash (oh my word, the new blender makes amazing, velvety mash and so easy too!! Well chuffed ) and veg.

Plenty of roast beef left for tomorrow as well.

It's amazing how much this thread concentrates your mind. Thank you all
  • minipenny

Goodness knows, but I'm glad it's not just me

I've lost count of the amount of times she's come home and actually been sick cos he's only given her sweets, or just stuffed her silly with rubbish!

Was really surprised today; he sent her home with two new pairs of boots. One pair not quite what I would have chosen, but decent (and unheard of ) of him to get them!
    Originally posted by freyasmum

must be paving the way for a decent fathers day present

Does everyone have a seperate budget for toiletries? I don't but I'm wondering if 250 for toiletries and Groceries is realistic?

Getting nervous about Job interview tomorrow its a few k's more than what I currently earn and I'm afraid I've already written some dream shopping lists of things we havent been able to afford for ages.........large quantities of chocolate and Ben and Jerrys! Just one month as a celebration of course

• PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 15th Jan 12, 7:13 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber

By the way what are/is ys?

See you tomorrow evening,
    Spigs
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    ys means yellow stickered! Kind of quicker to write than whoopsied - think I might use it too from now on!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • rej-c
    I've just added a spend of 3.42 for today - rice, bread, drinks, whoopsied mini Jaffa Cakes 6-pack and cooked chicken bits for Him Indoors. Shouldn't need to spend for several days now, all being well, as we're well stocked for this week's meals.

Back to page 72 to read a bit more before Sherlock now. My best to all, and keep up the good work.
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 15th Jan 12, 7:26 PM
    • 13,817 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    My thoughts and prayers are with Angelatgraceland and Dobs. My condolences to you both.

Spigs, YS= yellow sticker, as in the items in the reduced to clear spots.

Hope you enjoy the film as well, I want to go and see it as well.

My eldest spent the day with Nanny and Grandad being spoilt so we treated the other 2 to an all you can eat indian buffet at a very posh contempory indian restaurant that we have been too several times before at normal times when you order off the menu and thoraghly enjoyed the food. But this was served from bain maries that weren't filled properly with water and the burners they had under them were not efficient enough, food was luke warm including the rice . They also didn't fill up the food quickly enough so there was not enough for the amount of covers they had. So a complaint has been made to enviromental health.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • mumwithamission
    Yay! Another NSD for me (but that is only 2 out of 15!)

• freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 15th Jan 12, 7:33 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,921 Thanks
    freyasmum
    must be paving the way for a decent fathers day present
    Originally posted by minipenny
    PMSL

Does everyone have a seperate budget for toiletries? I don't but I'm wondering if 250 for toiletries and Groceries is realistic?
    I add everything in (not that I've needed any yet, but I will when I do!) but everyone is different, it just depends on what you wanna do

Good luck with the interview
    • cw18
    • By cw18 15th Jan 12, 7:41 PM
    • 8,071 Posts
    • 86,054 Thanks
    cw18
    I have a seperate budget that covers toiletries and cleaning products (and other kitchen 'bits' like greasproof, foil and freezer bags).
    Cheryl
  • sonastin
    Tried the local farm shop yesterday. Slightly disappointed but had a hangover so perhaps wasn't in the right frame of mind. Lots of labels around the place saying what they sold but very little on display. Maybe I'll go back another day when I'm more in the mood for chatting and asking for stuff! Anyway, the meat was beautiful but not especially cheap - cheaper than the supermarket for those cuts but none of the cheap cuts to help with the budget. Ended up spending 10.80 there & followed that up with the big stock-up a$da shop I've been avoiding. 86.33 there takes my total so far to 162.79 / 200 for January. Should just need a wee top up next week so hopefully can get to the end of the month under budget for once.
    • bunbun2
    • By bunbun2 15th Jan 12, 7:48 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    bunbun2
    I have been following this thread since the begiining of January and think it is great. thank you to all involved!

I haven't joined in yet as I am not sure of our budget. I am ashamed to say that I have no idea of how much we spent a month. OH gets paid on 31 January (last pay was 20 December) so till then we are trying to spend as little as possible. We are using stuff out of the freezer and shopping in Lidl/Aldi etc.

I will decide on a budget and join in February if you will have me!

My lurking has come to an end to say totallybored your cheese, tomato and pesto muffins sound delicious. would it be possible to have the recipe?

I look forward to joining in next month!
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - 200
    60 deposit paid 100 paid 40 paid
  • money saving hedgehog
    Further 40.03 spent this week, plus 35 on going out for an indian meal. Total spend this month 98.47 plus meal out 133.77. On target i think but must try harder.
    2015 in 2015 (Although actual goal is 10 a day)
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 15th Jan 12, 8:03 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi

My budget includes all toiletries and cleaning stuff, but I tend to bulk buy when there are offers on, this months budget took a hit from toilet rolls, shower gel and fabric softner, but now I will not need to worry about buying these for at least a couple of months.

Good luck for tomorrow

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 15th Jan 12, 8:11 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    My budget includes cleaning stuff etc, as I have no other budget for it to come from!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 15th Jan 12, 8:17 PM
    • 13,817 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    I have been following this thread since the begiining of January and think it is great. thank you to all involved!

I haven't joined in yet as I am not sure of our budget. I am ashamed to say that I have no idea of how much we spent a month. OH gets paid on 31 January (last pay was 20 December) so till then we are trying to spend as little as possible. We are using stuff out of the freezer and shopping in Lidl/Aldi etc.

My lurking has come to an end to say totallybored your cheese, tomato and pesto muffins sound delicious. would it be possible to have the recipe?

Originally posted by bunbun2
    You will be very welcome on the February thread Bunbun. Just post your figures in big red numbers when it is up and running and dive right in.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • minipenny
    Agreed. Bunbun your more than welcome.....speaking as a newcomer I can only sing praises of this group they are a truly lovely bunch of people who go above and beyond to be helpful and are supportive and motivating! You will definitely enjoy your time here I know I have so far and its definitely helped me more to stay on the straight and noshop oh and you learn really yummy recipies!!!!

• djhops
    Good Behaviour
    After my 18 shop (for 2) this week, we treated ourselves to drinks with friends last night (circa 20) but otherwise have been very good this weekend... no meals out or take aways!!!

The outcome has been much healthier eating (apart from some leftover christmas choc) and even went for a jog so deserved the choc anyway
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 15th Jan 12, 9:11 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Also went to B&M but only got a box of Dorset cereal for 1.39.
    Originally posted by blackandwhitebunny
    B&W bunny (I have one of those!), what kind of Dorset Cereal? Not listed on the B&M website... I have a weakness for it...
    Erratically money saving
    • totallybored
    • By totallybored 15th Jan 12, 9:13 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    totallybored

Originally posted by bunbun2
    Will post it for you, they're great for breakfast snacks at work.
    • totallybored
    • By totallybored 15th Jan 12, 9:18 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    totallybored
    Cheese, tomato and pesto muffins
    275g plain flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 eggs
    225ml milk
    110g butter
    20 cherry tomatoes deseeded (I prefer the oval shaped ones, I cut into quarters and squeeze the seeds out when cutting them)
    100g cheese (mature cheddar is good but I've used anything left that's in the fridge)
    Dessert spoon of pesto (add as much as you like, I guess at a heaped spoon and it tastes good)
    Oven 200c for about 25 mins

Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl.
    In another melt butter and mix with milk and eggs.
    Mix in toms, cheese and blob of pesto.
    Add flour mix to it so create a rough mix
    Put in 12 muffin greased muffin cases (I find they stick to paper ones).
    Bake and eat
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 15th Jan 12, 9:53 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thank you for all your good wishes for my DS after his accident at nursery. He ran around like a tazmanian devil today as only a 20 month old can so no long term effects

54p spent at Ald1 on some plain yogurt to make the parsnip and parmesan muffins. Had a great afternoon cooking up a storm in the kitchen: leek and pot soup, WW Italian Veg soup, ginger cake, and cornish pasties but ran out of time and energy to make the muffins!

The pasties were a bit of a disaster in that I followed a new to me recipe from one of my old recipe books and all the proportions of the ingredients were wrong and there was 3/4 of the not very appetising filling mix left. I have made them and will feed them to DH and see what he says. The recipe said 4oz each of turnip, carrot and potato and I think it should have been 4oz in total. There was an awful lot of veg in proportion to veggie mince

I am not intending to spend much this week, the odd cup of tea at work/college and that will be it. We are bursting at the seams with food.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

167Posts Today

3,787Users online

Martin's Twitter