Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 86
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 19th Oct 18, 2:22 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi

I have had a letter off my bank advising that they shouldn't of given me my overdraft and that it has not benefited me so as a gesture of good will they have refunded the following

refund of arranged overdraft fees and interst 227.70
    plus compensatory inters 23.55
    less income tax 4.71
    plus refund of overdraft limit 100

total refunded 346.54

However after going the bank I have found out that since 2017 to the present day there has been 344 worth of charges to the account.

I have called to speak to the department for a breakdown of what iv'e been refunded to which i was told it has been all charges since 2015 ( this can not be true as the last year alone is different figure)

where do I go from here ? do i take what they have given me or request more (the amount has cleared most of the charges left on my account and I have a balance owing to them of 60.000 still)

Please help xx
    Originally posted by tatty1985
    Accept the good will offer, banks only refund for current financial hardship, not historical charges and only certain charges have been included it would appear e.g. maybe they refunded overdraft fees but not over limit etc
    • tatty1985
    • By tatty1985 19th Oct 18, 3:16 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    tatty1985
    I am currently in financial hardship and was in a debt management plan with Step change when the originally asked me to take out the overdraft.

I know since 2015 I have paid more then 800 in charges to this bank. I stopped using the card in Aug 2017 and was supposedly 10 over my credit limit and received 400ish charges from Aug 2017 to this present day ( it looks like this is what they have cleared for me. I have asked for a breakdown.) it is only when I went into branch to query it the lady advised I should of been refunded all charges as I should never of been given the overdraft in the first place.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 19th Oct 18, 3:41 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Unfortunately bank branch staff are not authorised to make statements like this without knowing your circumstances, the anecdotal account will not mean you get more money. A goodwill gesture is not a refund of all charges and the bank have probably stated they can withdraw it.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 19th Oct 18, 4:10 PM
    • 6,257 Posts
    • 7,294 Thanks
    societys child
    so as a gesture of good will
    I wouldn't push too hard, good will can be withdrawn.

• Crav
    • By Crav 22nd Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Crav
    Barclays Business Account
    Hello,
    First post so hope this is the right thread.
    My wife had a Barclays Business account for about 15 to 20 years which she finally closed in about 2004.
    She was self-employed and we recently found a few statements from around 2002 with lots of different charges for various 'insurance' 'fees' etc.
    Using the statement we'd found we initially used the Barclays 'see if you had PPI' online enquiry but received a written reply saying they couldn't find the account even though we supplied the account number, name and various addresses she'd lived at over the period.
    Pretty sure we can get them to find the account via phone but what is the best template to use to reclaim spurious charges from a business account (she paid a fee to have it) and is there a 'catch all' way of checking all other charges as well as just for PPI?
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Oct 18, 1:12 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,014 Thanks
    dunstonh
    but what is the best template to use to reclaim spurious charges from a business account
    There isnt one. You cant reclaim bank charges.

and is there a 'catch all' way of checking all other charges as well as just for PPI?
    PPI is not a charge. Bank statements are the only way.

However, if Barclays say no then that would usually suffice. Most bank accounts cant have PPI on them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Chrisuk263
    • By Chrisuk263 20th Nov 18, 12:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisuk263
    Help needed
    Hi guys, Im need of some help.

On Saturday I wrote a letter using Resolver to Halifax regarding charges on my account since 2011 to current date. These charges totalled 2500 over the 6 years.

I believe that myself and my partner were and still are in financial hardship and struggle to pay off this debt due to constant borrowing from different accounts and credit cards.

This account was originally a student account and was automatically changes to a current account with an overdraft fee.

I did try go to the bank and see if I could get a loan to pay off the debt but the interest rate was too high due to poor credit from my borrowing.

Ive just received a phone call from Halifax telling me that they believe the charges to fair and in accordance with their fee rules. He said however they will as a gesture of good will they will put 50 into my account and free the charges for three month, even though I did ask for that to be done when I tried to apply for the loan and they said no.

Because they called me I was caught a bit off guard and when he said would I be ok with that I said yes which on reflection I was happy at all. I did ask in my original email using resolver that any correspondence be made to my email address rather than calling which has annoyed me too.

My question is cause Ive just accepted their offer can I go back on my word as Im really not happy?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 20th Nov 18, 12:59 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    If they issue you with a formal response they may say you can refer the case to the FOS if unhappy but realistically an interest freeze and goodwill gesture are perfectly acceptable responses here. The time to talk about financial hardship was when it started, however, you should talk to all your lenders about financial hardship, not just send lists of charges which you won't get back.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Nov 18, 1:24 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,014 Thanks
    dunstonh
    My question is cause I’ve just accepted their offer can I go back on my word as I’m really not happy?
    What alternative are you proposing?
    Remember that bank charge reclaiming largely ended after the 2009 ruling and the FOS no longer take on complaints about unfair bank charges. They only look to see if the bank has treated CURRENT financial hardship cases fairly.

Halifax don't believe you are in "current" financial hardship. Is that a correct position or is that wrong?

Their freezing of charges for 3 months plus 50 is a good result. So, why do you think it isn't?

I did ask in my original email using resolver that any correspondence be made to my email address rather than calling which has annoyed me too.
    Hardly any complaints teams will use email with the consumer on such an issue.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 20th Nov 18, 1:50 PM
    • 10,207 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    -taff
    You can't force the bank to gove you anything back, because as above, the banks won a court case in 2009.
    Are you actually in financial hardship, in that you have no expensive mobile phone contracts or Sky or similar...
    3 months without charges ia quite good. Go to the debt free wannabe board for help with your budget.
    • Chrisuk263
    • By Chrisuk263 20th Nov 18, 2:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisuk263
    Yes, most months we have to move money from one account to another to make sure bills are paid and I had to take out a credit card just to make sure that I did miss bill payments. My partner was on an IVA from a previous relationship and being left with all of the debt. She started a student nursing degree 2 years ago, but has had to leave the uni as working 45 hours for free and then working part time was too much of task for her and she was under so much stress that it was making her ill.

I was working 45 hours on minimum wage and have now changed jobs to an apprenticeship which is a big wage cut for 12 months, but will give me a wage increase after then, so times are tough at the moment with the two of us and three kids.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Nov 18, 10:42 PM
    • 24,006 Posts
    • 13,410 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Yes, most months we have to move money from one account to another to make sure bills are paid and I had to take out a credit card just to make sure that I did miss bill payments. My partner was on an IVA from a previous relationship and being left with all of the debt. She started a student nursing degree 2 years ago, but has had to leave the uni as working 45 hours for free and then working part time was too much of task for her and she was under so much stress that it was making her ill.

I was working 45 hours on minimum wage and have now changed jobs to an apprenticeship which is a big wage cut for 12 months, but will give me a wage increase after then, so times are tough at the moment with the two of us and three kids.
    Originally posted by Chrisuk263
    Sorry, but very little of that would be deemed Financial Hardship. You chose to change jobs knowing that it would result in a pay cut, you didn't lose your job.

Also, you state that only "most" months are a struggle, not every one?

Realise that the Bank's goodwill offer can be withdrawn and the Ombudsman cannot award you any more.
    Historical bank charges are not refunded.

Banks won't respond to complaints such as yours via E-Mail.
    • Shauname
    • By Shauname 14th Jan 19, 10:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shauname
    Are business accounts eligible for this?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jan 19, 10:41 PM
    • 24,006 Posts
    • 13,410 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Are business accounts eligible for this?
    Originally posted by Shauname
    No.
    If your business is no longer viable that is no reason Bank will refund their charges. The Financial Hardship criteria does not apply to businesses.
    • H J Murphy
    • By H J Murphy 22nd Jan 19, 5:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H J Murphy
    I applied in 2007 regarding bank charges,my claim was being handled by Financialclaimsuk.com who at the time were confident that my claim would be successful ,however as we all know the courts came to their decision.At the time I was in a deep financial situation.
    Would it be worth my time and effort to claim again,my financial situation has improved since 2007.
    Thanks.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 22nd Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 22,965 Posts
    • 25,374 Thanks
    zx81
    No. .
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 22nd Jan 19, 10:43 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    Bermonia
    Let me go one better... hell no!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 23rd Jan 19, 12:35 AM
    • 24,006 Posts
    • 13,410 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Scary thing is that this thread continues

on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and and on

but no one ever reads the actual thread prior to posting!

Bank Charges ceased to reclaimable for the vast majority of people a decade a go!
    • gecko08
    • By gecko08 23rd Jan 19, 10:38 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gecko08
    Reclaiming Bank Charges under Hardship for Disabled
    Hello all, I really need some advice.

I have been trying to help my friend out with reclaiming his bank charges under the hardship rule.

He banks with Halifax, and for a period of over 10 years had a 2500 overdraft which he was unable to get out due to the constant charges related to his account.

My friend has ASD & ADHD and struggles with all the things you & I might take for granted, especially banking. He often has no money to eat and take care of himself, and falls into life's traps constantly. With no experience of how the world works he cannot comprehend how to fix these issues without help.

I was able to get his last 6 years of bank statements from Halifax under data protection. I went through it all and totaled charges of 4741 (including interest).

I issued Halifax with the initial letter explaining his story and included a letter from his doctor specifically saying he is unable to manage his finances due to his condition.

I got a pretty badly written letter in reply, so I sent another appeal letter, yesterday got a reply standing by their original decision.

I admit I was surprised they are not willing to offer anything at all due to the awful circumstances my friend is in.

It looks like my next step is the Ombudsman, so I thought I would ask before I contact them is there anything else I should do?

I have uploaded all the correspondence here bit.ly/2CBEYkE

I have removed all personal references in these files.

Thank you in advance for anybody who wishes to help in this matter xxx
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Jan 19, 11:23 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,014 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I was able to get his last 6 years of bank statements from Halifax under data protection. I went through it all and totaled charges of 4741 (including interest).
    You didnt need to do that. It is not a step required.

I admit I was surprised they are not willing to offer anything at all due to the awful circumstances my friend is in.
    The bank look at the spending habits of the person as well as any arrears/defaults and high priority debts. If the spending habits indicate consumer items or expensive shops then they are more likely to reject.

The documents uploaded by you indicate you mentioned health and gave a general summary of his finances. However, you did become quite aggressive in your demands. You are asking the bank for a goodwill gesture. Yet you demand statutory interest is added despite no wrongdoing. When you are trying to appeal to someone for a goodwill gesture, you should avoid making demands and false allegations as you risk winding the person at the other end up. You want that person on your side and you want them to picture the issues.

You also made the error of referring to the charges being unfair. The minute you do that you normally expect a rejection as they are not considered to be unfair.

You didnt upload the whole of the rejection letter. So, we dont have the benefit of the full reasons for rejection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,194Posts Today

7,883Users online

Martin's Twitter