Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 47
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 1st Sep 09, 12:58 AM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Sorry to hear of your losses, Booklover and MrsSnowy. (((((hugs)))))
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
  • rosieben
    Thinking of you mrssnowy and booklover

well done to all who achieved their target (although flu is not the recommended route herewegoagain!) and better luck next month for those (like me!) who didnt
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 1st Sep 09, 7:20 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    August has been a good month, think helps not buying any packed lunch stuff, anyway can I please declare £277.39 many thanks.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 1st Sep 09, 7:25 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    What is it they say about the best laid plans?...My hiccoughs are minor compared to some, & my Best Wishes go to those who are struggling with Life's Trials just now.x

No wonder I've been putting off updating my spends I don't really want to say but must admit to getting through £373:75 through August. A quick calculation has said it leaves under £6 a day if I'm to stay on budget My one saving grace is I have got some bits for in that little lot..actually some of it was spent on gifts, so we're not so greedy as it first looks
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• alipops1986
    • By alipops1986 1st Sep 09, 7:59 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    alipops1986
    Morning folks,

Well i'm rather disappointed that I have come in OVER my £80 budget for August by roughly £10-£15.

Heyho, will be trying once again in September!!
    Married: August 2013
    Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
    Our Baby Boy arrived August 2014
    • greent
    • By greent 1st Sep 09, 11:58 AM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 82,588 Thanks
    greent
    DEclaring for August at £382.15 against the £400 budget, so really pleased - and still have full cupboards/ freezer etc. Thanks Mrs M!

Haven't had a chance with it being school hols to read the thread - must try harder this month, as it makes a difference and I want to get new recipes :-)

best wishes to all

greent x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £2418.57/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Sep 09, 7:08 PM
    • 10,669 Posts
    • 55,402 Thanks
    Mooloo
    FAiled dismally to keep track, thats two months in a row. So I think I will give the challenge a miss this month, and put my head around some of the things i need to achieve before I come back on board. Goodluck to everyone else though.
    Mooloo x
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • moneytree1
    • By moneytree1 2nd Sep 09, 4:51 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    moneytree1
    HI all want to declare £121.26 for August I am pleased with that managed to come £11.24 under budget so a bit more for my sealed pot. Can you put me down for £132.50 again please for September thanks Moneytree1
    2016 £31138 Debt free ?
    Jan Groc £200/162.56

One step forward closer to debt freedom.
    • Little Muvva
    • By Little Muvva 4th Sep 09, 8:37 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    Little Muvva
    Declaring £457.58 for August - bad month but we were on hols!
    1/1/10 total debt £4,311. Debt today £1,082
    [COLOR=magenta][COLOR=blue]
    • ejbg2001
    • By ejbg2001 7th Sep 09, 3:13 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    ejbg2001
    I'd like to declare £139.47 out of £150 so I was amazed at being able to keep under my budget... Next month I have the same amount of challenge, but 2 ppl for 2 weeks, my OH visiting, YAY!
    EJBG2001

I'm not complaining, I'm supporting the process of continuous improvement.

Stepping off the property ladder for now, may climb back on later.

• barneydee
    • By barneydee 7th Sep 09, 4:58 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    barneydee
    Sorry have failed big time, have not kept my eye on the ball budgeted for £250.00 Declaring at £459.02 have a plan of action for next month.

Dee
  • emmab2001
    hi ladies!!
    i'm keeping my totals going see my sig

but i'm gutted as we have been away this weekend and my frezzer has over frosted!!! i have no idea why or how but the door was open ice and water everywere!! gutted all my meat was ruined plus 2 pies it was horrible half the food was defrosed some were half defrosed and half frozen i decided the best thing to do was bin the lot of it the frezzer has been off for 24 hours now adn the ice is still solid in parts!!!

but anyway will have to re shop for some things but i think i'm still doing well!! by this time last month i had spend almost 300 pounds!!!
    My 3 boys are my world
    Grocery Challenge 2014 Jan 245.12/400 No Spend Days Jan = 3
    Mortgage Deposit saving 2430/18000
    Car tax & Insurance fund 64.55/210 needed by March
    Camping Holiday Fund £25/£153 by May
    Future Home Emergency Fund 0/3000
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 10th Sep 09, 3:21 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi guys,

sorry to bump this thread as the September one is now well under way.

I cannot find all of my reciepts for this month to add up all my totals so i`ve used a bank statement to tally up. We have lost a big envelope of reciepts and i really think that it has been thrown away by mistake.

This is not accurate as i can`t see exactly what we have bought from the statement and we do buy things that arn`t from the GC when we visit the supermarket IYKWIM, my best guesstimate for August is £200 Mrs M if you could add it to the totals please. When i`ve sorted myself out i shall post on the Sept challenge - hopefully not too long

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • rosieben
    huge pat on the back for those who made it within budget for August, and commiserations for those (like me ) who overspent a little, or a lot ... better luck next time

emmab2001, sorry to hear about your freezer mishap, how frustrating!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • 666paw
    • By 666paw 11th Sep 09, 4:14 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    666paw
    Ive still got a week to go and have already overspent. Not too sure why but perhaps its buying all the different food for the cat as he is being so fussy at the minute.

I feel like im really behind everyone else as my month goes from 19th to 19th so am still in August.
    MFI3 T3 # 75
    • 666paw
    • By 666paw 18th Sep 09, 10:35 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    666paw
    I would like to declare at £220.09 for August please which officially finishes tomorrow but as i'm not feeling too well at the moment I won't be going shopping today or tomorrow.
    I've gone over again so was a little disappointed but then remembered I had brought a new stockpot (£10) and a new mini chopper (£20) so am actually in the zone for once. Off to catch everyone up and join in for September.

Many thanks to everyone

P.
    MFI3 T3 # 75
    • LannyLee
    • By LannyLee 10th Aug 10, 7:09 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    LannyLee
    Beef stroganoff
    400g of beef cut in thins strips
    1 onion sliced finely
    2tbsp butter
    2tbsp oil
    1tbsp plain flour
    1tsp tomato puree
    2tsp mustard
    2 tbsp of lemon juice
    250ml of single cream (can use double if you wish)

Fry beef in 1tbsp of butter and oil till browned
    Taken beef out of the pan but leave all the juices the pan.
    Fry the onion in the other tbsp of butter and beef juiced till soft.
    Sprinkle 1 tbsp of plain flour over the onions and stir to mix.
    Add the tomato puree, lemon juice, mustard and cream stir all together.
    Take the beef and add it to the cream mixture.
    Once the cream starts bubbling serve immediately.

the recipe above can be adapted using just veg or any any meat or poultry. Not sure about fish as i haven't tried it.
    Originally posted by kezlou
    Thanks for this, I've been looking for a simple stroganoff recipe for ages, this is going in my meal planner!
    • Jacey53
    • By Jacey53 10th Aug 10, 8:28 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Jacey53
    Me too - thanks Lanny
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,752Posts Today

7,256Users online

Martin's Twitter