Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 21
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Well I wasn't going to pick up the few bits I needed until Monday -"but" as hubby had to nip out this morning and would be passing ALDI I gave him the list and he picked them up on his way back in -Saving money on fuel and on me adding extra bits "just in case" and as always he only got exactly what was on the list
    1. fresh milk -3x48c
    2. saladcream 99c
    3. 2kg onions 89c
    4. 2kg apples €1.39
    5. cucumber 27c
    6. iceberg 49c
    7. tuna 2x85c
    So €7.17 spent bringing me to a total of €16.60 at nearly half way through the month and 11 NSDs out of 13 and I shouldn't need anything until the middle of next week at the earliest
    I made some bread yesterday -so lunch is going to be salad sandwiches -we love salad sandwiches and I think dinner will be jacket potatoes with cottage cheese and salad...
    I managed to get 2doz of the 3doz courgette cakes I made into the freezer -which is a miracle so that will provide something sweet if we need it.....
    I have also fetched another box of beans in from the garden today -should be enough to put another 4 meals worth in the freezerand the tomatoes are now ripening..only fetching odd ones in at the moment -but can see where the others won't be far behind. Oh and I will be fetching my first aubergine off next week sometime, and have quite a few chilis and peppers on too......every little helps
    hope everyone is well -off to make lunch .....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 7th Aug 09, 11:44 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Nipped to Mr S and did the shopping for the weekend and spent a grand total of £7.06 but forgot to get dog food Everything but the choc ices (10 for £1 Mr S own) was on special offer or BOGOF and I got some BOGOF viennese whirls for the caravan holiday.

I nearly bought some more apples then realised I had got some BOGOF and stuck them in the fridge earlier in the week so I am hoping to avoid shopping until the holiday shop next weekend.

Off to update my sig ( including last nights chinese)
    • mothershipton
    • By mothershipton 7th Aug 09, 11:57 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    mothershipton
    hi, first week shopping and i ve spent £100. This includes restocking the freezer. Went to Tesco and found it really expensive, back to morrisons next week methinks. The warmer weather is nice as we arent eating as much!

using lots of veg out of the garden. just need to decide what else to put in

off to update sig
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
    • russetred
    • By russetred 7th Aug 09, 12:15 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Oh dear,oh dear just look at that siggy! I went mad with the money off vouchers in the newspapers and stocked the cupboards and freezers to the limit.I know it will last well into next month,probably a darn sight longer but I only have £69.36 till the end of the month.On a positive note I used every MOC I had against a £80 spend in MrT and got £31 off plus with buying for others £41.29 back so my shopping only came to £7.70 and I got the rushian vodka and another conditional spend voucher! This is becoming addictive esp with DM doing the £20 Tesco vouchers tomorrow.Noooooooo!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 7th Aug 09, 1:24 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,

hope your all well, and for those who arn't (((hugs))).

Had another nsd today. For lunch we had fish, new pots and peas. The fish was a whopsie at 99p instead of £2. which I had bought the other day(another one still in freezer for next, friday mr and mrs are tradistional about their friday fish)

I think as this went between 3 of us, it worked out at 53p each including veg, which I think was great

I will be only buying fresh stuff to the end of the month (If I don't get tempted)

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 7th Aug 09, 5:47 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 49,600 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €10.69 this morning on milk, bread, newspaper and mince, total now running at €97.87. Glad I stopped smoking 7 years ago...they are now €8.45 for 20, would only be able to eat or smoke...not both!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • rosieben
    Can I direct you all to this thread - Martin is asking for help
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Sunny Donny
    Hi Can I put my target as £200 for August please. Lots of parties and celebrations to cater for - one birthday (an ho ho ho 0 birthday) BBQ and wedding anniversary do
    July went in the bin - lost the plot as busy at work and stressed!!!
    Got the 3 for £10 bottles of wine and partook of a glass or two!!
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 7th Aug 09, 7:31 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    Evening all, quick update on my spends. Went to the butchers and spent 10.05 and then the farm for eggs (2.60 for 12) and then onto Mr S for a few bits (80.69). This included a blender that was on offer.

Quick question, I have bought loads of veg to use with tinned toms and herbs as a base for pasta, spag bol etc. I need to blitz it to hide the veg from the kids but can I just freeze it then - the veg will be onions, mushrooms, peppers and courgettes?

The good news is that my cupboards, fridge and freezer are now full to bursting (have tins on the worktop because I cant fit them in the cupboard so wont need to spend any more for a while.

Sig updated. x x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 7th Aug 09, 7:55 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Hello everyone I was away for the day and took advantage of the situation by stopping in at a fairly large 24 hour A$da! It's bumped my spend up a little bit, but we managed to get packs of spaghetti for 10p each, so that was £1 well spent. Also got some of their 4p jars of curry sauce and some packets of strawberry dessert mix. It's absolutely unbelieveable some of the prices! Wish we could get bargains like that where I stay! :rolleyes:
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • rosieben
    Quick question, I have bought loads of veg to use with tinned toms and herbs as a base for pasta, spag bol etc. I need to blitz it to hide the veg from the kids but can I just freeze it then - the veg will be onions, mushrooms, peppers and courgettes? ...
    Originally posted by penguin83
    yes, you can freeze it - check out this thread see partway down the first post ' veg base'

• redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 7th Aug 09, 9:08 PM
    • 5,969 Posts
    • 25,829 Thanks
    redmel1621
    Well I added up my shopping for the week and have spent a whopping £73.92...and none of that was meat/meal stuff because I had enough for 7 days worth of main meals in the freezer/fridge/cupboards...it was all on crap food from S'fields, I am fuming with myself. We basically shopped every day except 1 since last sunday!
    Soooo, in a bid to save a bit next week I am going to try out Aldi, I have never been before so have no idea what to expect - is there anything I should definitely avoid, or definitely buy

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

• cw18
    • By cw18 7th Aug 09, 9:20 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 86,055 Thanks
    cw18
    Check/raid the Super 6 if you use any of it (celery, tomatoes, cucumber, little gem lettuce, avacado, mango this month - 29p each)

I get all my milk from there - 49p for 1 litre semi-skimmed. All other milk (incl semi as a 4pt) works out much dearer :confused:

Neopolitan ice-cream is currently 59p for 2 litres - limited to 3 per customer. The vanilla ice-cream also tends to be a regular purchase for us.

Other than that (and kitchen rolls) there's very little I use them for, though I do wander round to check for specials.
    Cheryl
    • alipops1986
    • By alipops1986 7th Aug 09, 9:25 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    alipops1986
    Evening All!

Shopping this week came to £27, got plenty of meals within there especially for lunches while i'm not at school. [Am teacher].

Going to pop to Farmfoods tomorrow as i've got £2 voucher i won ages ago now. Won't be counting this obviously as technically free!

Also, i'm not counting meals out, mainly lunches, as it's just about my only luxury as it's the holidays! However, i am going to try and avoid as i've plenty of lovely food. Yet, the food will get eaten eventually!

Updated Signature!
    Married: August 2013
    Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
    Our Baby Boy arrived August 2014
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 7th Aug 09, 9:36 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    yes, you can freeze it - check out this thread see partway down the first post ' veg base'
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Thanks Rosie - I am a bit dim when it comes to cooking! x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • rosieben
    Thanks Rosie - I am a bit dim when it comes to cooking! x x
    Originally posted by penguin83
    you're not dim! you're learning, as we all are

• zoelikesjam
    • By zoelikesjam 7th Aug 09, 10:14 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    zoelikesjam
    OMG!!!!!! my first ever NSD for food! hahaha!
    May the force of the flyladies be with you
    Zoelikesjam Is loud...Obnoxious and completely inappropriate for all ages!
    Viewer discretion is strongly advised!
    I am pretty sure you DONT want to know whats on my mind!
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 7th Aug 09, 10:54 PM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    I'd like to join a bit late in the month, is that allowed? :confused: This will be my first ever challenge of any kind, inspired by Weezl74 and mbaz after spending two days reading their threads!!

There are just two of us, my current budget is £85 each so £170 total per month which is a lot less than it used to be. It's going to be tough to reduce because Mr. Fire Fox is a trained chef, a carnivore and a brand snob. I've got away with red lentils in his bolognese twice now so there is hope ...

I've already spent £6 in Home Bargains (Oven Pride, Heinz beans, Heinz ketchup, Ritz crackers, Amoy sauces at 20p!) and £6 in Morrisons (crisps, garlic, two half price cooked chickens later used for stock!). I am due to do our fortnightly Asda run on Monday but actually the freezer is full-to-bursting so we don't need expensive meat!

I'd like to declare at £50 each this month, £100 total which will include my lunches, some basic toiletries and cleaning products but won't include transport costs. And I've already spent £12 so only £88 remaining!!

Thanks for reading.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 8th Aug 09, 10:18 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    I'm looking for sesame seeds...any hints please? I've looked in Holland & Barret, Sainsbury, Morrison, Somerfield & various scoop & weigh without success & they're only showing up in Tesco on the mysupermarket site. I've got a tasting for them in my hm bread with sunflower & pumpkin, as a seeded batch I don't have access to Asda, Farmfoods, Aldi, Home Bargains, Poundland or any of the other wonderful outlets that many of you enjoy, which is soooo frustrating when I see what you guys can get

Thanks for reading.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• randomer
    • By randomer 8th Aug 09, 10:32 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    randomer
    Half all outgoings instantly!!!!
    Send 2 teenagers away on a (cheap) holiday. I can't believe how much they must be costing. Far less washing, food, well everything really!
    My challenge is how to get through the next 3 weeks school holidays on a reasonable controled budget.
    Don't think I'll ever be a professional OSer feeding them on 20p a day but at least I've got some sort of a grip over things.

Meal plan done and shop next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

508Posts Today

5,244Users online

Martin's Twitter