Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 18
  • tinkerbellsmum
    Thanks to the Leftovers thread I have changed the way I make decisions on what to eat each day i
    Originally posted by oceanspirit
    wheres the left over thread
  • rosieben
    wheres the left over thread
    Originally posted by tinkerbellsmum
    might be Leftovers? Use it up! Don't throw it in the bin!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • tinkerbellsmum
    thanks hun
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 5th Aug 09, 2:39 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    try again just wrote this already but window closed
    very proud of myself this week
    yesterday i froze mushrooms and spag bolo (how do i cook though from frozen?)
    also making quiche today with bacon that needs using and pasty mix thats been sat in the cupboard
    going shopping tommorow i've done my meal plans so hopefully will come to less but with more meals.
    has anyone any ideas of snacks my family can take with them. no cakes as i will eat them
    my husband is buying far to many single packets of crisps but i'm on a diet so don't want any in house. might be tempted to buy a pack and ask him to hide them
    thanks
    Originally posted by tinkerbellsmum
    When there's things I can't resist, and there are many, then I make sure I buy flavours which I don't like re crisps, same with cakes/biscuits/choc or I would not only be fatter but also broke as I would have to eat it all, especially with choc. answer is, KNOW THI SELF

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • cw18
    • By cw18 5th Aug 09, 2:43 PM
    • 8,071 Posts
    • 86,054 Thanks
    cw18
    Just been out for my second shop of the month.

First was a Mango from the Super 6 - not something I've ever tried before, and normally too expensive to risk trying in case I don't like - so all of 29p. I desperately need to increase my f&v intake, but especially fruit and there aren't that many types I actually like/eat :rolleyes2 I have a feeling the one I go may not have been properly ripe though - how hard/easy are they meant to be to half/stone?

Today was some of the Mozerrella from L!dl (4x29p), and then A!di for milk (4x1 litre @ 49p each) and Neopolitan ice-cream (2x2 litre @ 59p each).

So total spend to date is £4.51, meaning just over 16% of the way through the month and less than 3% of the way through my budget - and with 3 NSDs under my belt.

Have my bread machine on again this morning, but instead of a 2.5lb loaf I'm trying dough only for the 3lb size - and shall then split it between 3x1lb tins. Will be interested to see if they last any longer than a single loaf, but should make it easier to slice (and smaller slices for my GDs if they work out OK)
    Cheryl
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 5th Aug 09, 2:45 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Had to buy a loaf of bread today for the first time in ages ( see my recent posts to find out why) and was horrified to find it cost £1-55! I bought a large soft batch granary loaf (from M&S - I was there buying trousers for DH!) as this seemed closest to the kind of thing I baked in my BM. However, though it was perfectly edible it didn't taste of anything much at all!

Thanks to Lollyfin who has kindly offered to send me her unused one I will be back to baking my own soon! People here are sooo kind and helpful. It restores your faith in human nature!

Thanks for all your help you lovely people!

Moniker
    • shellsmithcat
    • By shellsmithcat 5th Aug 09, 3:03 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    shellsmithcat
    This is my first month and I have not set a budget for this month. Went shopping yesterday, Icelands and Sainsburys for main shop and to fill an empty chest freezer (As have just used everything in it for a defrost). Total £195.90. (Ouch). At the moment I spend about £110 a week at the supermarket. (This includes cat food and washing/cleaning stuff - does everybodies budget include these items). I would like to start by reducing it to just £90 a week. In my house there are 3 1/2 adults. The half being my daughters boyfriend whom although is not here for breakfast/lunch has dinner here every evening. Chocolate is enjoyed in my house, we don't pig out on it but I suppose each of us eats a bar once a day, and buying multipacks works out at 36p a bar on average. So my start for saving money was:-i brought some cheap bars of basics chocolates @27p a bar and each bar has been split into 3 strips, so now a bar of chocolate only costs 9p. A saving of £5.67 already just on chocolate. I've also frozen swede, aubergine, mushrooms and cabbage (after looking up how to do it) as always end up throwing loads away - so will be saving money in the long run on them. I thought I would just let you know how I've got on to start and sorry if I've wittered on a bit but finding it quite an exciting challenge.
    Michelle
    Last edited by shellsmithcat; 05-08-2009 at 3:06 PM.
  • helen jelly
    Shellsmithcat - Hello, You seem very organised - well done. I have found that simply by stating how much I am going to spend for the month on here is incentive enough for me not to go over [well it is this month as I failed miserably last month on my first go!] I am now in charge of the food buying as my DH has a tendancy to go a bit mad in the shops, he likes to go whoopsie spotting and it costs us a fortune

Going to Costco now to get some cheese, unfortunately I'm taking DH, DD and DS so it may end up costing more that the fiver I would like to spend - just have to see how mean I can be

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • Tashja
    Hi all

I seen a website on here a while ago which had cheap food on it for sale. The stuff was close to sell by date.

Can anyone post the link please ??

T xx
    Last edited by Tashja; 05-08-2009 at 3:49 PM.
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 5th Aug 09, 4:28 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Hi everyone
    Flying Fresian.
    Thanks for the info on the Nu-wave cooker. tried a few recipes and the cooker is really good.
    Helen jelly The bread mix is good done on the dough setting. Just Knead it for 3 minutes, shape and put in tin. Then leave to rise for 30mins. Sounds more fiddly than it is. The good thing is there is no hole in the bread. By the way no need to take any mix out if you are only doing dough.
    Hope this helps.
    Pat
    Debt free from April 2012
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Tash

its approved foods -which I think is...

www.approvedfoods.co.uk

just checked it and cor blimey my link works -woohoo me
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 5th Aug 09, 5:39 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Evening all!

Went to Morrisons to buy cream to use with dinner tonight (I'm trying the lemon chicken recipe from the front of the thread) and seemed to get there as all the good whoopsie bargains arrived I have scored through the original price:

Iceberg lettuce (Shredded) twin pack £1.00 20p
    Breaded plaice (Two portions) £1.96 85p
    Single cream 40p12p
    Mashed potato ("Best" variety) £1.49 per pack 9p per pack so bought two!
    Tiger rolls x 4 52p 25p
    Sandwich ham 82p - not whoopsied but half price
    Bread (From bakery) £1.0929p

So, total spend for that little haul was £2.71!
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 5th Aug 09, 6:22 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    evening peeps,

spent £12.32 today in lidl's, got 6 x red peppers, 8 x mozzarella balls, some choc biccies and a bottle of lemon creme (like limoncello but not as bleachy in the aftertaste ) and a lunch deal for 99p.

not feeling all that well at the mo so am not eating very much right now, saving on that for sure!!

will update my siggy, and i'll be watching the economy gastronomy show later to see if they are any good......

tc

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Aug 09, 6:28 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Hello grocery challengers

Just back from annual agricultural show and stocked up with 4kg Seriously Strong Cheddar for £20 plus popped into the new Sa!nsbury store (I hated it!!) and spent a grand total of £2.44 They are barely stocking their Basics range here, so a total waste of time my going in there.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • helen jelly
    Thanks Philsmum

Went to Costco's and got 1.34kg of cheese for £5.75 and a tin of biscuits for the kids as a special treat. They were selling lovely kids winter coats for £12.49 so got one for DS. Also popped into MrS and bought some beer for DH and the chicken thighs/drumsticks which were buy one get one free for £3.00, no whoopsies worth having though.

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Aug 09, 7:14 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Did I just hear correctly? This economy gastronomy programme, did they just say they were cutting down their grocery budget in order to save £4,700 over a year?
    • cw18
    • By cw18 5th Aug 09, 7:16 PM
    • 8,071 Posts
    • 86,054 Thanks
    cw18
    You heard right Nyk..... the equivalent of her annual salary !!
    Cheryl
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 5th Aug 09, 7:26 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,340 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    And isn't that little penny-rolling jingle straight from Martin's show? I don't have multiple types of oil and vinegars in my larder but I do have a cheap tin of hot dogs. I'm glad someone mentioned this programme, thanks guys. I had forgotten all about it! Wish I could find stuff I'd forgotten about in my cupboards.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 5th Aug 09, 7:31 PM
    • 8,071 Posts
    • 86,054 Thanks
    cw18
    I've got a cheap tin of hot dogs too I think - in there as a back-up for DS as I hate the things. But I'm considering trying that hot dog casserole as I think he may eat it too.....
    Cheryl
  • BlimusOreilly
    Hi all

I seen a website on here a while ago which had cheap food on it for sale. The stuff was close to sell by date.

Can anyone post the link please ??

T xx
    Originally posted by Tashja
    Hi Tash,
    Approved foods as MrsMC posted is the better one but there's also this one: http://www.foodbargains.co.uk/
    good for drinks (and cheaper postage too).
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

1,655Users online

Martin's Twitter