Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,506Posts
    • 39,669Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 331
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th Jun 19, 7:08 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 39,149 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello.

Same as usual. Went to work 9.5 hours today. We were very busy but busy in a good way.

Pre work swept up and washed floors and cleaned downstairs loo.

Dog walks done in between showers, I get a chance to nip home and take him out at lunch.

Had some lovely pasta for lunch at work and then lasagne and salad for my tea.

I've lost £50 grrrr was in my back pocket. Phoned supermarket who were very kind and helpful and checked CCTV ( hope I wasn't picking my nose or scratching my bum!) but it didn't drop out my pocket there.

Got a big bunch of RTC tulips.

Tips in the jar.

Need to pick up DD at work later ( sigh...about 10.30 , would much rather be tucked up in bed by then! )

DD1 in a plane after a day in Singapore between flights....got her money's worth in her $16 shower and washed and dried her undies! 3 more sleeps until a squeezy hug!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Jun 19, 9:58 PM
    • 5,084 Posts
    • 48,130 Thanks
    Frith
    That's annoying about the £50, MHags.

Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in!

2) Not so much rain today.

3) Hens OK and they had some porridge.

4) Drove my brother and his old fridge freezer to the tip! (I have a bigger car).

5) Now have a useable bathroom sink again. Bigger son pressed the "pop up" plug down so far, it never popped up again but disintegrated! I spent hours fiddling with it but finally paid bigger son's friend dad (a plumber) to come out.

6) Made a pineapple upside down cake.

7) Watched Casualty.

First day in 18.75 years that I have not seen or heard from bigger son. :-O Hopefully this means he has had a very exciting day! I know he had a meeting with the Bigger Sisters today, a group that works to keep younger girls in school.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 15th Jun 19, 10:46 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 16,570 Thanks
    Broomstick
    1. About nine hours much needed sleep last night.

2. Am now lying on my bed with a cuppa after an extremely trying and tiring day.

3. Got a really lovely grin and wave from a tiny, very old lady in response to my grin and wave at her when visiting a day care centre yesterday.

4. Absolutely delicious pear with cheese for lunch.

5. Very patient help from the young man serving in DIY shop when I was trying to sort out some more line for my strimmer.

Sweet dreams
    Bx
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Jun 19, 6:30 AM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 20,275 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Met a friend for coffee. She also have me plants for a late birthday present which was unexpected.

2. A cake was delivered eventually after a message that it wasn't going to be delivered. It is for work tomorrow and from a voucher someone gave as she left.

3. DS1 has joined a gym. It is fairly expensive but has a swimming pool and swimming helps his back. It will get him out and meeting some people.

4. Good meal in London with great service. We found it on TripAdvisor and is one we will go back toi.

5. Saw Hansel and Gretel at Regents park open air theatre. It was very enjoyable and a good venue. We only got slightly wet near the start. Talking to the people sitting next to us at the interval too.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Jun 19, 1:31 PM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 35,787 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    JAM Today
    BoP is currently on show at JAM!

More later
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Jun 19, 2:44 PM
    • 13,393 Posts
    • 183,448 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Nice coffee out this morning and a nice pootle around the lanes to get home again.

The scent of roses which are in full and fragrant beauty at the garden centre, it was so lovely.

A small imp holding his big brothers hand and peeping over his shoulder waving at me as I walked behind them up the road, so cute.

The arable cereal fields we passed driving home in full and heavy ear with grain set already and looking amazingly well grown for mid June, I pray for some warm sun and dry weather to ripen it and we may be in for a bumper harvest.

HWK has just returned from the allotment with a big bag of broad beans (SORRY BOP), a big bunch of rhubarb and some radishes for me.....delicious!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 16th Jun 19, 5:42 PM
    • 8,573 Posts
    • 33,872 Thanks
    ampersand
    Here is &, catch-up reading in one of her nowhere bits of Fen. Adjacent skylarks singing.

Thankyou all.

Was taken by your 18.75yrs mention re: elder son, Frith:-). I'm sure radio silence just means BUSY!
    #
    1. Well, not an osp. Drive><Devon eventful, slow, many diversions. Saw many signs to boplands. Back section of exhaust is in &'s car as we speak. Came off after terrific induction in St Petroc's, Wednesday pm, as & climbed back up over Dartmoor. Pitch black. Bucketing wind. Pouring rain. Nearing 23h. (Next day, took pic of 60cm diameter hole, not evident through tree tunnel.) Rough, narrow, unmaintained roads/tracks. Almighty clunk. Manoeuvred past stone wall to boggy verge.
    Cows awake, came close.
    Investigated, then tried to figure-8 secure exhaust to towbar with extra tights(had bought multipack in Ivybridge earlier, while also remembering all growlings re: thumb+stitches. Haha! to that.) Couldn't make both elements hang together. Amazing luck maybe 10 mins later, in that landowner/farmer was coming other way(back from mtg) at that time of night. Eventually, his big knife, some twine+wire....we tried again. Nope. So, between us we removed back section in toto. It had severed cleanly, but this wasn't obvious at first blush.
    Off to Fenboys again in morning. Managed to limp back the remaining 4 miles to YH. Not too noisy. Accepted recommended mechanic's name gladly. Unfortunately, no connectivity up there either the, and was down in Totnes next morning before heating mechanic was on out of town job until yesterday.
    Oh well,....

2. Llamas outside my bedroom window: 3 white, 1 black. Shorn rather early for grim weather, which persisted throughout stay.

3. Finished terrific Susie Steiner book(post passim) and just now finished another compelling read: AA Dhand's 'Streets of Darkness'.
    Too wet to mow.

4. Long, slow return(as osp1), fuel economy noticeably affected by missing exhaust.... Would I, wouldn't I? Should I, shouldn't I? Oh well, did. Slight North Devon deviation to remote Exmoor village and market town, seeing old residence and business. Took pic. Have never gone back until 2 days ago. Reached fenny &squat @3 bells.
    Grest YH, Frith.

5. Loved this week's episode of Dead Ringers, esp. John Bercow, brilliant. So much better than useless corbyn, who was also rightly, mercilessly satirised.
    Lovely R4.

6. Just booked Bastille Day away, quick flit only. Am always in France on this date.

7. Last night, G&S in The Barn - 'The Grand Duke'. Fantastically done.
    Lainey, have you ever gone?
    They really are great annual amateur productions, without being amateurish. & loved G&S since first being taken by beloved uncle in NZ, d'Oyley Carte touring productions, early 50s. Some spiky updating refs too, in Toxic Orange and current government terms. Also, audience is required to eat sausage rolls, part of original script!
    Great fun.
    #
    Will leave it there.
    Bohemian Rhapsody this Thursday in Town of Gown. Plenty more exercise ahead... again, this time unconstrained by airline seating:-)
    Hope nurse is pleased with &'s thumb tmrw. Fenboys straight after.
    I'm finding bits of the Hhurrchrs rather confusing, but Happy Centenary birthday to June Spencer, working rôle Peggy since 1st episode.
    What's going on with Jim?
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    • By ampersand 16th Jun 19, 5:45 PM
    • 8,573 Posts
    • 33,872 Thanks
    ampersand
    Oh blutty autocorrect.
    'hearing', not 'heating'. Bound to be more.
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th Jun 19, 6:28 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 39,149 Thanks
    mhagster
    Oh my goodness & I wouldn't have a clue nor have spare tights! Hope you get it all sorted tomorrow!

I am tired! Had a very brief snoozette there just before dinner. Slightly restorative.

Work 8-3. Busy.

Had to pop in to town to pick up DD prescription. Been sitting at pharmacy for days. Nipped in to M&S and made a few nice purchases. Some nice shower gel and hand cream and a small perfume spray. Probably have not bothered with such fripperies in a long time but I'm a working woman now. Got loads of RTC foodstuffs and no apricot Swiss roll left so none purchased!

Home. Picked up DD and chatted with one of my husbands good friends whilst I waited. Nice to see him and chat.

Washing out for a bit this evening, it will certainly get a blow.

Just fed the birds! Waaaaah! Loads of 'em! Was trying to make space in freezer for my M&S bargains and gave them left over panettone and some pashwari naan. Both of which have been languishing since Christmas.

Had a very RTC ( like 18p) stir fry and used up some sausages from fridge and a very RTC salad bowl .

DS starts his return journey and DD safely in Berlin. Two more sleeps till a squeeze and I must must must get her room ready!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th Jun 19, 9:12 PM
    • 5,084 Posts
    • 48,130 Thanks
    Frith
    The exhaust snapped on my first car (an Austin Metro) not far from Nottingham where I was going for an interview. The noise was almost unbearable in the car (and probably for other drivers on the motorway too). When I roared up the driveway, I realised it would also go CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK over every single speed bump. People were gathered at every window by the time I parked!

Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in!

2) Hens OK.

3) Went to see my dad for father's day. Took him beer and cheese and we talked about wood burning stoves.

4) Bigger son's Nepali counterpart put lots of photos of them both on FB. He phoned today and has had meetings with the school head and someone in the medical centre. He had to shout for assistance as the biggest spider ever was in his room.

5) Caught most of the new PM debate and also watched the end of Soccer Aid with smaller son.

6) Got various jobs done including cleaning the bathroom, shelves and stairs.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Jun 19, 5:33 AM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 20,275 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Went to look round new garden which has opened recently. It will look good in a year or so but needs more work doing to it.

2. Chat with my Dad.

3. Some time spent in the garden.

4. Boys took us out for a Sunday roast. It was a good meal and good company.

5. Early night.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    • 13,393 Posts
    • 183,448 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Coffee out at the garden centre yesterday morning and seeing all the families come in with elderly dads, middle aged dads and young dads (some on their own with the children) all with families because it was Fathers Day. Families together and smiling, always pleasurable.

We had a dry day yesterday, it was also much warmer than of late and being outside to do anything was lovely.

HWK harvested broad beans, rhubarb and radishes from the allotment all of which we love (well he doesn't like radishes BUT I DO!).

We are hopefully going for a walk today, the first time in ages he's suggested that so I know he's feeling better from the operation and his poorly knee is less painful now he can do the physio exercises.

Gammon for supper tonight with pineapple to be traditional, scrumptious!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 17th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 23,168 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Catching up on your pleasures.

Some for yesterday, hmm who ordered the weather.
    1 My weird cleaning is now wet and not dry, hoover bag washed and hanging out.
    2 I made a batch of cupcakes which are nice they kind of taste like treacle but it’s using sweetener and coconut flour.
    3 Dinner was a mix of all rtcs from yesterday’s haul.
    4 Spent a bit online, I’ve been watching a set of tools DH has been after for an age, and managed to get it cheapest possible via father’s day offers. Also spent 5p on a second hand book well excluding the 2.80 p and p, though I am thinking of banning online spending for a while now, ohh and used a voucher to make an order a whole 50p plus 2.00 delivery.
    5 Changed all the pet bedding, and they tried to stop me.
    Off to hang some washing out in the hope it isn't going to rain in the next few hours....
    6 Watching last nights full moon....
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th Jun 19, 11:06 AM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 35,787 Thanks
    JAM Inn
    Exhausting around here! Ms LW, Rhubarb and radishes goes someway to atone for bored beens! Sugar dipped rhubarb would give you maximum boosts in Proper Foods stakes! & bastille day. The day when the French won for the thirst time, against their own!

Nows on withs BoP ditties for the day!

Did my thing in the kite shed yesterday again, quite busy on dads day. Even sold the Dakota from the case. Also showing people what it is like to play with the big toys. Minds me, only two weaks to AFD. On show again at JAM 30th June. Other appearances by BoP will be notified. Mind you, as part of STEM, we do gets a lot of the girls wanting to play with our toys! There, BoP doing for education what …

Came home and did kedgeree, with smoked mackerel. Nice and fresh, with enough left over for tonight as well. That made up for SatDay kitchen disaster when BoPsie, through no fault of her own, lost out on her poached egg with the snorker brunch! Oh, BoPsie’s poached egg, unfportualty it rolled out of BoP’s paws and ended up on the floor. Please give a minute for BoPsie. She was not impressed on her eggless brunch!

Now BoP is on his horse today. I knows, I am inn the boiler room at the mill, but be aware of boiler rooms please. Only professionals like me should be inn the heat. No, FaceBuck, that evil of all matters thinks it can festoon you with goods. Now its seems that not only was I misled, missold, ill advised, had bad fortune, cure all redress and sky blue ginger skies. Surprise, outfits now from ‘We want your dosh dot con’. Well some outfit promises me the world of riches today just for the biggest cut of your pension. Be wise out there peoples, they are worse than the government! Especially if you are in work, never never never never never be tempted to cash it in. No advisor that is independent would even let you, but there some sharks out there. And the email from my garage saying I could upgrade my hot wheels for a souped up monster truck, not!

Oh and another farce on FaceBuck. I am going to be an Avon Rep, bets yous all would like that! Oh, ifs yous no believe BoP, just use the duck, https://duckduckgo.com, the search engine that not tracks you, unlike google! and tab in Captain Careless and LCF!

I has checked all the mortgage offers over the last weak and it is not on. All look cheap until you see the continued cost after paying the fees and discount ends. No BoP and BoPsie are not spending their hard earned dosh on £1500 fees to save £35 a month for 60 months? Go on get your calculator out and yeah, I save a massive, wait for it, £600! Hang fire though, I will then pay an extra £75 a month for the next 60 months! That will cost £4,500, a tal robbing of £3,900. Not on your nelly!

BoP does not give financial advice, but when he does, you knows BoP is correct!

Offs me horse now!

Lunch box this weak has no clubs or penguins. They are not on offer and as such, BoP does not waste his hard earned cash on them, see above cash and trinkets. Usual of toms, strawbs, blueberries, satsumas, LieSter Red and guess, three proper chocolate digestives. There, them digestives were cheaper than the clubbed penguins!

Talking still of pennies again and again, just managed to get the wired telephony thing redone and saving money again. Dids no realise that I had slipped out of contract and the robbers were wanting to fleece me. Sore ted now. Don’t give their greasy palms too much dosh though. PM2& The telephony thing is what connects BoP to the internetted world of nonsense! Hard wired!

Now on to other things in the life of BoP. PM2DD Hares on the back of BoP is tingling with expectant news on the fixtures!

That is your BoP news for today. Here’s hoping anyway!

Oh, by the weigh, whens I talk about JAM, is not the proper blackcurrant stuff that BoP puts on his crumpet on Saturday mornings, it is the JAM! I call it the kite shed! It is inn Glawster, the big train to Warster goes through Glawster!

That showed ‘em, eh?
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th Jun 19, 6:06 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 39,149 Thanks
    mhagster
    I am officially knackered.

Well I was on time for work but boss had slept in, however I will be paid for the half hour I sat in my car! Wrote my blog.

Was supposed to leave at 1pm ...however someone was off sick so I ended up in kitchen all day! Blooming hot!

Then had to go and do a big shop. An extra two will be be here! DS should be home tonight and DD1 tomorrow. So milk and bread and biscuits and cheese and loo roll!

More tips in the jar.

We had chips for tea.

Much to do but I don't think it will be getting done tonight! Have just done a very early bedtime walk for the dog!

Awh my boy is home safe ! Dogs pleased!
    Last edited by mhagster; 17-06-2019 at 6:16 PM.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Jun 19, 9:44 PM
    • 5,084 Posts
    • 48,130 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Porridge for breakfast, with some for the hens.

3) Went on the allotment. Hens OK and I spent about an hour tidying and weeding.

4) Made chicken tikka for lunch which we ate wraps.

5) Popped to nearest town after lunch to hoover the car out ready for its MOT.

6) Pizza, garlic bread and corn on the cob for tea.

7) Bigger son phoned.

8) Went for a walk in the forest after tea and saw 3 deer (though I am not sure if 1 and 3 weren't the same) They were small fallow deer; also heard a muntjac.

Last exam tomorrow!!!!
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 17th Jun 19, 9:45 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 23,168 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Fed the fish, fed the birds, hung the washing out and continued tidying the greenhouse.
    2 Stopped for a turkey roll for lunch, used a small plate and filled the rest with salad which looked good!
    3 Tidied the greenhouse which was too warm, sat outside with a tea and cake, enjoying the weather and birds.
    4 I have a box of found bulbs and seeds from the greenhouse I found beside me just going to work through them to see when can go in tomorrow.
    5 Planning to get through some office paperwork this evening.
    6 I’ve asked for 2 handy person quotes as there’s just to much to do here so asking for help with 2 parts of it.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 18th Jun 19, 6:00 AM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 20,275 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Had cake at work. It was tasty.

2. Had an interesting talk by a lady in the afternoon and found out more about her job role.

3. My new dishwasher is now plumbed in. Will be using it today for the first time.

4. Felt really tired so take away for tea. Also as I could cook til 8 due to the dishwasher being fitted.

5. Early night.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    • 6,181 Posts
    • 35,787 Thanks
    Again it is that time!
    Come on Mhags, rule of BoP No:132. Has yous checked back of the sofa?
    Chips, tikka, turkey roll and salad, proper food and good for you! BoP is havings his usual with three proper chocolate digestives today as well! Tea is being drung.

Apart from all that, here’s your BoP ditty!

Nows I dids rabbit on and on yesterday! Well guess what, after suggestions that I become an Avon rep, buckfarce now thinks I am a qualified financial adviser! There, yous needed to knows that!

Now on with today inn the boiler room! Wet again! And that is because we don’t have a leaky roof, but a complete lack of Yellow! Raffles is not on his best form this year! In fact this very morning Raffles did demolish the side table on his way to the window ledge! We pay his vets bill!

Had the brewed second helpings of the smoked mackerel yesterday for dinner, with I managed not to drop any eggs on the floor. BoPsie did the stirring! No, I said she stirred the kedgeree!

Now on about some other good things.

We are inches away from a decent contract at the mill. Two months now to finalise it. Usual rules, BoP is correct. See notes passim!

Fixed BoPsie’s hoover cordless thing again yesterday, she fills it up too much. It sucks!

I thinks me that is all today!

Next time, I think …
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 18th Jun 19, 11:16 AM
    • 8,573 Posts
    • 33,872 Thanks
    ampersand
    1. Parked in another lump of Fen, having left Fenboys a little while ago. Cash paid, very fair in &'s favour, as always, but still £220. Young, new apprentice is just right, too.

2. Wow, my potato sacks are going nanas!

3. Fed-up birdie gels, plumed feminists all - thrush, blackbird, wood pigeon, collared dove, hedge sparrow - trying to fend off tiresome amorous males. Could pretty much read the speech bubbles:-)

4. Lovely Emporium A. called from fish/meat counter. 9 bags of 3xplaice fillets, 2 of ray wings, each well under £.
    Gladly taken, distributed en rte back and much welcomed:-)

5. Friend's stunning crimson abutilon is never out of bloom. 2 slip cuttings are growing, one for &:-))).

6. Grass mown, finished near 22h. Love my excellent, new, cheap mower.
    #
    Have books, have radio, have full tank, have simple choices, have banana, have apple, have just seen 1 suture still in. Hurty stuff yesterday. Not minded to tell surgery right now.
    #
    Enjoy your days.
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

62Posts Today

2,195Users online

Martin's Twitter