PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Walking down the road this afternoon I realised I didn't have a scarf, and as it's still on the chilly side and I was meeting OH off a train after 6:00pm I thought I had better see if I could find one just in case. I love fine scarves, not the long woolly ones which are okay for winter but not very versatile the rest of the year.

The first two chazzers had them priced at £3.99, £2.99 etc., but Age UK came up trumps - all their scarves were reduced to 99p each. I couldn't make my mind up so ended up with three, all gossamer fine, and long and wide enough to double over and make a pretty neckline feature. Two with exotic birds on - one on a lemon background and the other on pale turquoise, and one with black, grey and pink swirls. Very pleased with my finds, they have been hand washed and are now drip drying over the bath. I have seen similar in TK Maxx for £15+.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Please, what on earth is a cigarette trouser?

I can't compete, but Oh that man!
    In one short trip, 3 lidded and saucered soup bowls in Denby homestead brown, a glorious old Bourne 1 pint coffee pot ( ~1923 if book correct on basestamp) & 3 Denby ramekins (harlequin/spice shape but not colouring). Plus a still in its box Men's XL Marino wool thermal long sleeved top as I do borrow his & now need not! For one lad, an unused Karrimor stretchy wicking T shirt & for all who want to watch/help with the lathe, a old school face visor. (Previously we had to use goggles that steam up and don't protect the rest of your face.)

Dropped in on a charity shop was closing for refurbishment (yikes?) so he acquired a Mason Cash pudding bowl, a raffia box, a Culinare garlic press (disassembles to 3 pieces for serious cleaning), a Linex Tech drafting triangle (youngest eyed it and disappeared for several hours, then appeared like a cat who had negotiated sole possession of the dairy) & a Fiskars scissors sharpener.

He went off on a hunt & trundled back clutching a single book for himself and a Denby linen lidded sugar bowl [brand new still with the Denby label on the underside just sun bleached illegible], a Denby homestead brown notch lidded jampot & a matching 1 Pt jug.

(I’m still trying to figure what to do with the seriously distinguished suiting lengths. Other than learn to cut assemble fit & rock a really smart suit. Let alone a side-saddle habit...)

Rather jealous of that garlic press.

Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Walking down the road this afternoon I realised I didn't have a scarf, and as it's still on the chilly side and I was meeting OH off a train after 6:00pm I thought I had better see if I could find one just in case. I love fine scarves, not the long woolly ones which are okay for winter but not very versatile the rest of the year.

The first two chazzers had them priced at £3.99, £2.99 etc., but Age UK came up trumps - all their scarves were reduced to 99p each. I couldn't make my mind up so ended up with three, all gossamer fine, and long and wide enough to double over and make a pretty neckline feature. Two with exotic birds on - one on a lemon background and the other on pale turquoise, and one with black, grey and pink swirls. Very pleased with my finds, they have been hand washed and are now drip drying over the bath. I have seen similar in TK Maxx for £15+.

In my mind you were running to meet your OH down a railway platform in the 1940's, steam from the train all around you and your lovely scarf floating behind.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Rather jealous of that garlic press.
    Tested it yesterday & it isn't put together tight enough - we ended up with garlic mushing in all directions. Still, it washed beautifully & can go back to a cs where some other happy punter can think "ooh!" and likewise learn "ah."

In case anyone else is tempted it's the one from this set not the usual culinare garlic press.
    Caveat emptor!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i seem to remember the mail gushing over sam cams fag trousers...sort of straight and ankle length i think the marboro pack idea could catch on...those scarfs sound lovely babe i like the idea of scarves but never sit right on me a shame as u see some very pretty ones
    onwards and upwards
  • Lavendar
    Lavendar Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been looking round for cheap scarves to use them to wrap presents a bit like the Japanese method but not as fancy
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Please could I pick everyone’s brains. On Saturday we are taking dds to Alton towers were dh and I will leave them whilst we go to the Emma bridgewater pottery. After the pottery we fancy a bit of a charity shop wander and Leek has been suggested. Can anyone suggest any other places with many bargains to be had? I’m relying on this groups encyclopaedic knowledge of cs’s
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,148 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Tenbury/Ludlow yesterday:

FatFace blue t shirt
    Panini World Cup blue t shirt
    H and M hoodie

All for son 2 (last GCSE yesterday and starts college in September so needs more clothes). Less than £10 for the lot!

St. John’s, Worcester today:

2 x brand new M and S t shirts

Pale blue t shirt with sequins

3 for the price of 2 so £5 for the 3!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    we got a lovely cafetiere stellar make...stainless steel no wear i could see and much dearer on line than the £3 it cost...it makes nice coffee as i have just drunk a cup
    onwards and upwards
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2019 at 12:28PM
    Am being 'haunted' by a dress I saw on Tuesday in Otley* :mad: Twas an L K Bennett dress in a dull cerise colour with a complicated drapey foldy thing going on at the front. Tried it on and it fitted nicely but was put off by a rather low neckline and lack of sleeves. In lovely condition and it was originally retailing at £195. Chazza price £8.45. Sometimes I really wish I could be bovvered EBaying!!

https://poshmark.com/listing/L-K-Bennett-Davina-Dress-58ed5e6b9c6fcfb23b07fd25

*Must not go back as it will have long gone and I do not need it!!!!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The local hospice £1 shop came up good for a new light coat for DD and next winter's thick preschool coat for DS, £1 each for then and they're both from Next originally so easily £15-21 brand new.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills