Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 18th Jun 19, 4:54 AM
    • 13,040Posts
    • 48,475Thanks
    Nelski
    OS Tuesday 18th June
    • 18th Jun 19, 4:54 AM
    OS Tuesday 18th June 18th Jun 19 at 4:54 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning lovelies

Annoyingly awakw at my usual daft o'clock despite there being an opportunity for a nice lie in.

Arrived in Sheffield yesterday for a completely disorganised course in the school, the times were wrong the kids didn't know what to expect 'and none of the handouts had been printed. All the teachers seemed to care about was getting away at 2.45 as fast as they could. I thought the kids were bad when then the bell went but the teachers put them to shame

Anyway back there again today for my sins so having a lovely stay in a really gorgeous country house type hotel. Food was amazing last night chef cooked steak and ale pie with thrice cooked chips in a stack and a big pot of gravy Totally lush.

Not at the school till 10 so hopefully the breakfast will be of a similar standard which ill head for later.

Not much to report no old style going on for mr this week. Have a lovely day all
    Last edited by Nelski; 18-06-2019 at 5:11 AM.
Page 1
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 18th Jun 19, 5:20 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 53,986 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:20 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:20 AM
    Morning All

Nice and bright this morning, hope it stays that way. I've no washing to do until I get home from work. The house is still tidy from my big clear up after the DGCs on Sunday so I see a relaxing evening ahead - I may start looking out stuff for my holiday.

I had a lovely catch up with friends after work yesterday with a very good macaroni cheese and garlic bread.

Hope things in your world are good, enjoy Tuesday, take care. XX
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 18th Jun 19, 5:23 AM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 48,162 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:23 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:23 AM
    Morning everyone

Nelski - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and DS1 now getting ready for work, I'm showered and dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and porridge whilst on here. DS2 settled and ok.

It's bright and sunny here but forecast is for rain - we'll see.

Dinner last night was a bit disjointed as DH was late in, DS1 had fish, jacket potato and beans, when DH got in he had fish, chips and beans, I had baked fish and some stir fry veg in a sauce that I'd made to have Saturday night then realised I'd cooked way too much and it wasn't needed, so I put it in a couple of takeaway tubs and put it in the fridge. I was going to freeze it but re-heated it last night - it was delicious with my fish. I remembered to get the chicken portions out to defrost so tonight we'll be having roast chicken portions, mash, veg, LO yorkshires and gravy.

Yesterday work was quiet to start off but then became busier, we'll see what today brings. I'm staying later tonight to cover a colleague as she has a meeting to attend at another site and would otherwise had to come back to our office which is in the opposite direction to her home. So I don't have an early finish this week, and I'm working again this Saturday but not long to go until our holiday.

I'll start getting stuff organised for our holiday, so I'm not running around at last minute - but it's lovely that all we need to do is pack a couple of bags put them in the car and off we go, I loved having the caravan but don't miss it as there was a lot more stress involved getting to site, getting pitched etc, it was good whilst the boys were young and we had some brilliant holidays but it's not for us now.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Jun 19, 5:31 AM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 36,134 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:31 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:31 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NELSKI. Grr to silly o'clock for you too. Well the sun is shining and no rain is forecast for the whole day - or so the weatherman says!

Yesterday didn't go to plan with my garden makeover! Oh the gardener arrived ok but, sadly, the skip didn't!! Apparently the skip carrier thing broke down so delivery of it has now been re-arranged for today! Gardener will be here 8 ish he says but will the skip!! With nowhere to dump all the greenery and rubble etc it is pointless him starting without it. So fingers crossed!

I shall be abandoning him anyway as it's my Tuesday meet up for coffees and lunch with my friend. I said I will leave the kitchen door from the garage open so that he can help himself to tea or coffee. I am trusting he won't run off with the family silver lol!

Not a lot was achieved on the job front yesterday, other than cleaning the bedroom windows. It was a bit noisy as there was more drilling going on next door. Surely they must nearly be on the home straight by now!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely and take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 18th Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    • 7,090 Posts
    • 99,531 Thanks
    redruby
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:58 AM
    Morning all

Bright and sunny here for now but rain and heavy storms due at three with potential flooding ! Surely we have had enough rain for now !! DD flying back from Greece today so I hope the storms stay off till they land.

Just after I posted yesterday I had to rush to the loo and didn't really leave it all day, I had to phone in sick from work I had some kind of D + V bug Im just waiting to see how I am today before making a decision re work.

I only ate some soup yesterday and OH had a pizza so will see if I fancy anything today..

Not a lot of house work going on over the last two days, I just dont have the energy !

DP1 thinking of the baby xx

Have good days all xx
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 18th Jun 19, 6:01 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 27,800 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:01 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:01 AM
    Good morning, it is cool and dull here but not raining which suits me as I'd like to carry on tidying the garden. I need to change our bedlinen and, if it stays dry, get one lot washed and out to dry.

Other than that, no interesting plans. I'm just enjoying being in such a quiet corner away from the bustle of the city and the inner suburbs. Continuing to look for a house to buy but just have not found anything that suits my very picky family.

I'm in trouble again, this time for feeding the squirrel. OH remarked on the cheek of it, having destroyed my hanging bird feeder, it was lurking around where I've been putting food and I didn't say much about its friend or about the little rat that I've seen. I hope the small birds get some food before the resident fatI gen arrives, usually accompanied by squirrels 1 and 2 plus small rat.

I've just spotted squirrels 1 and 2, joyfully pouncing on bird food plus toast crumbs. But also a sparrow so feel vindicated. There's a very cheeky Robin too and blackbirds but they must be having a lie in.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 18th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 20,468 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    Morning everyone

After my walk yesterday I decided to start painting the entrance hall and managed to get the three doors painted. I will emulsion the walls today. I am going to carry on and paint the woodwork throughout, slowly over the summer. I need some more of the paint and won't be able to get that until the end of the week.

Today I'm going out for a walk and to the supermarket first thing, then I will crack on with cleaning the kitchen. Other than that, I don't have any real plans for today. I will just take it as it comes.

TA I hope the skip turns up today. Enjoy your lunch with your friend.
    Nelski the hotel sounds nice.
    RR hope you are feeling better today.

I hope that you all have as good a day as possible xx
    • Blackcats
    • By Blackcats 18th Jun 19, 6:44 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    Blackcats
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:44 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:44 AM
    Morning all. A working from home day today which is lovely although I do have lots of work to do and need to be strict with myself and stop at a reasonable hour. I often get raised eyebrows and a knowing grin when I say that I'm working from home but in general I think most people view it as a bit of a privilege and do a fair day's work. I used to feel guilty if I hung out the washing or emptied the dishwasher but a colleague reminded me that not every minute of a day in an office is spent at your desk and sometimes a quick break re-charges the batteries.
    Still de-cluttering slowly but surely. Sold a few bits and bobs yesterday and added a few £'s to the coffers.
    Hope everyone has a good day and sees a bit of sunshine
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Jun 19, 7:10 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:10 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:10 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I hope I don't jinx it, but it todays looks to be much nicer than it has been the last week or so. I can see a bit of blue sky!! Needed my sleep last night, so no gym this morning although I will go after work. I've got chicken out defrosting, cant believe I actually remembered this time! Seem to have woken up with the early stages of a coupe of cold sores unfortunately. I've layered them with cream and I'm collecting some medicine for them later. Horrid things.

Yesterday was a typical Monday for me. Nothing exciting to note at all. work > gym > yoga > bed. Well that's not strictly true as I had to visit the SM for some bits, subsequently ruining my NSD too. Still on 8.

Nelski - Sounds very lush indeed! Enjoy your breakie.
    RR - Aw I hope you feel better soon. Fingers crossed it's just a 24hr thing
    AoD - You've got your own version of Countryfile by the sounds of it.
    Holly - Careful you don't overdo it.
    Blackcats - Completely agree with your thinking.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 18th Jun 19, 8:10 AM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 25,752 Thanks
    snoozer
    A day wasted yesterday. We took the car for a service expecting too be a couple of hours so we walked round the shops and had lunch, but they had problems and it took much longer than we thought. I was able to finish the book that was gripping me though so it was not all loss.

I have the hairdresser today and I need to thoroughly clean the bathrooms.

dp1, thanks for the update, I hope things improve today.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Jun 19, 8:44 AM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 50,785 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning all.

More rain promised, luckily I'll not melt in it.

DM already in a sulk with me because I didn't hear any footsteps from the flat above! She does tend to 'tell me off' for things which I have no idea about and then worry about stuff which doesn't need being worried about.

Yesterday a bloke from the national gas company called to check for any sign of a leak - the neighbour upstairs has got a leak so his gas supply was disconnected. No smell or indication of gas here though DM has worried all night about the building blowing up. She's always been a worrier!

Only plan for today is a small shopping trip for milk and blueberries. Other than that - who knows!

Thoughts to all those facing difficulties - and a happy Tuesday to everyone.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 18th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 14,608 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all. I have got a load of bedding in rhe washing machine but DH has kindly informed me that it is going to rain shortly. Meh

Not much planned today yet.

TA hope the skip arrives. Gers hope Mum can stop werrying abour rhe gas

Well this post was interrupted by a long phone csll from a friend. It is now pouring with rain so I'love you and leave you.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 36,134 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Afternoon folks. Progress report on the garden - yes there is one today!! Skip arrived just after the gardener, followed by the fencing and 2 tons of pebbles! He had a setback from the outset though - his wheelbarrow wouldn't fit between the garage and next door's fence to get to the back garden! Oh dear. At this point I left him to go and meet my friend in town!

I got home after a good old natter over 2 coffees each, followed by lunch and then a wander round town. But, by heck, he is a quick worker I couldn't believe how much he had achieved in my absence. He has just left now and will be back in the morning - and I will be abandoning him again poor chap.

Have a nice evening folks if you can and take care x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Jun 19, 5:41 PM
    • 7,483 Posts
    • 50,785 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon folks. Progress report on the garden - yes there is one today!! Skip arrived just after the gardener, followed by the fencing and 2 tons of pebbles! He had a setback from the outset though - his wheelbarrow wouldn't fit between the garage and next door's fence to get to the back garden! Oh dear. At this point I left him to go and meet my friend in town!

I got home after a good old natter over 2 coffees each, followed by lunch and then a wander round town. But, by heck, he is a quick worker I couldn't believe how much he had achieved in my absence. He has just left now and will be back in the morning - and I will be abandoning him again poor chap.

Have a nice evening folks if you can and take care x
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    How lovely to read your garden news! It sounds so good already.

I went out for my walk, did a longer one and found unused bowling greens and tennis courts. Even though I have to drive to this park it's much more accessible than the one straight outsided DM's front door which has very steep stairs and then an even steeper hill down to the walkway - it's a deep ravine with a tributary of the Clyde at the bottom. No good for my dodgy knee and hip. The other place has inclines of a much gentler nature!

DM has spent all day in bed again, apart from having a shower which really wiped her out. I am coming round to accepting her slow physical decline. Despite being prepared for it the reality is daunting. Don't think that the end of the decline is very close so I'll just keep going and encourage her to drink the Ensure 'gloop'. She's gone off the Ensure fruit drinks now that I've hauled 56 bottles into the flat.

I've spent some time trying to download updates on the small laptop belonging to the company which I work for three days a month. It was like watching paint dry, I'll really need to get them to change it. Then I watched a film I had recorded the other day. A calm day then.
    • wmf
    • By wmf 18th Jun 19, 6:00 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 21,671 Thanks
    wmf
    Gers, you are doing so well. X
    • JIL
    • By JIL 19th Jun 19, 12:20 AM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 23,927 Thanks
    JIL
    Gers could you make the ensures into lollies?
    I had to have some meal replacements a few years ago and made these into lollies, they were easier to swallow and cooled me down.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

3,178Users online

Martin's Twitter