Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 6th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 445Posts
    • 2,069Thanks
    Starmummy
    Aligning the Stars
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    Aligning the Stars 6th Mar 18 at 7:09 PM
    Hi All,

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of years and this year I am finally ready to fully address my problems.
    A little background... I became a parent at 21 and became a single parent at 22 with no support from my DD father. Not exactly how I expected things to turn out! Thankfully I have an amazing family who have tried to help where they can.

Well 6 years of working my bum off still didn't give me enough money to live off and between health scares, court fees (thanks to ex) and just trying to get beans on toast on the table I found myself in a LOT of debt.

Now I shan't pretend I am a complete saint. As well as needing credit cards to pay for solicitors fees, my studies, food, council tax and just trying to keep us warm and fed...I also treated us to nice clothes and holidays. It was a pride thing, I didn't want people to think I couldn't cope, I didn't want my DD to miss out and being a single mum working 7 days a week is HARD.. I needed the treats for my sanity.

At my very worst I carried almost 24,000 in debt over various loans, store cards and credit cards. YIKES!

Well fast forward to present day and my life has improved unimaginably. I met my DP who has honestly changed our lives. He helped me see how strong and capable I was and with him by my side I set about living instead of surviving.
    My DD and I moved in with him almost a year ago and at the end of last year I pushed myself to get the job I deserved. So without the pressure of being completely financial responsible for my family (and the nice pay rise from my new job) I'm now in the position to get rid of the last reminders of my old life...The debt.

I had my light bulb moment just after Christmas and have made massive headway in the year so far.
    As of today my debts look like this:
    Overdraft 1000
    CC1 2247 (currently @18.9%)
    CC2 3347 (2/3 of this is at 0% until October)
    Loan1 2113 (this is due to be paid off in August 2019 and fairly low interest approx 7%)
    Loan2 7352 (this months payment still to go out- paid off Oct 2019 again lowish interest was used to pay off a 24% CC)

so total debt today 16,059

I know I can do this. I am determined. This diary is for general ramblings and to keep me on track.

So here's to getting my life in order and aligning the stars for an amazing future
    Last edited by Starmummy; 19-12-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Page 23
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 20th May 19, 8:55 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Another fairly busy weekend. Spent Saturday AM doing 6 wash loads, popping into town to top up on gift cards, greetings cards and toiletries (it seems to be kids party season), and giving the house a quick tidy up.
    Saturday afternoon Mr Star and I took my bike out for a proper spin while SC was at her Dad's. I managed 40k in just under 2 hours...not fast but it certainly warmed a few muscles.
    On the route home we cycled to the retail park and chose the tiles for the kitchen revamp...I'm really happy with them, they look really expensive but were end of line so reduced to 10 per metre.
    Yesterday I was mum taxi with swimming and parties to attend. I then buried myself upstairs to crack on with revision for next months exam.

Monday again and Mr S is away with work this week so back to spinning plates and trying to just survive.
    Today's tasks are to run home from work, collect SC from school then pop to Ald1 for a food shop. An hour of revision when SC is in bed and a good nights sleep.
    Tomorrow is Swimming lessons after work/school.
    Wednesday run home from work/study again.
    Thursday Swim again.
    Friday is a PD day and I haven't managed to sort childcare for half term yet so more life admin to do. May have to sweet talk Grandparents for a day or two of help. I think (*hope*) I'll sleep well this week
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 9,749.03/12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings 97.11 Other Savings 63.17 House Deposit 3,912.64/20,000 19.6%
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 5th Jun 19, 10:24 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 28,032 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I hope all is returning to normality after half term and all is well with you?
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 46.03% spent so far, mid July
    My DFD is here
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 12th Jun 19, 8:25 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Thanks for thinking of me Suffolk.

I'm still about just not as often.
    Mr S has been away every other week...and will be for the forseeable.
    I decided to miss the exam. I really wasn't in the right frame of mind. It may seem silly as it's the last exam of 14 until I'm qualified but after 5 years I just need a bit of a break. I've decided to pick it up again after summer.

We have just got back from a lovely weekend in The Lakes, it was what the 3 of us needed, a perfect re-charge.

The debt is still going down and the savings are increasing but I'm not thinking about it quite so much.

I've had a few health issues recently, nothing to serious, but I'm undergoing some tests. It has made me wake up to what is important. I'll pay off the debt and I'll get my qualification but it really doesn't all have to be done tomorrow.

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 9,749.03/12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..19.5k)
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 12th Jun 19, 9:42 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Just realised I could be in 4 figures by the end of the month! exciting
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 16th Jun 19, 6:53 AM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 4,241 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    I think having a break from exams and recharging your batteries was a good idea. Well done on keeping up with the debt payments and savings. Getting in to 4 figures will be brilliant.

Hope the tests go well and you get results quickly. Have a good day .
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 18th Jun 19, 9:52 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Thanks Adventure.

I feel like a massive 5 year fog has been lifted by deciding to delay the final exam.
    I will take it at some point in the near future but only when my mind is in the right place to do myself justice. I plan to just really enjoy the summer with StarChild. Every summer she can remember has been overshadowed with Mummy studying. I find at nearly 10 she really needs me on an emotional level. She has always been so understanding that I have always had to work full time and that Mummy's school work is important, it is about time I paid her back for her understanding.

This summer is going to be amazing.

We are back up to the lakes in a couple of weeks as we loved it so much.
    Then mid July we will go camping on the coast for a weekend for my birthday.
    First weekend of August we are in Paris as a surprise for Starchild.
    Then she gets 2 fun weeks staying at my sisters while I have to go to boring work and Mr Star is away in Sunny USA on a work trip.
    Then last week of the holidays we are in the Soca Valley in Slovenia.

It all sounds very expensive but both Mr Star and I save a huge amount each month into pension and general saving. The debts are less than half what they were and less than 10% of our household income (mostly Mr Stars fab salary- although mine is pretty good) I don't want to work so hard and not enjoy it. I don't want to look back and think 'I wish I had just done it' plus none of it is going on credit cards or debt...all from savings and budgeting. Even if some moths are a bit beans on toast it's totally worth it to tick of more things on our family bucket list.
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 9th Jul 19, 11:01 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Just back from a lovely weekend in the lakes. A long drive for 2 nights but it was so lovely to let my hair down and really have fun with Starchild. Mucking around and being silly with her, camping, beans on toast and lost and lots of walking.
    Really loved having Mr Star home...in fact he is home for 2 whole weeks.

I'll update my sig in 5 minutes so we can see how i'm doing with some milestones.

Savings aren't quite as good as I had hoped as I've had no maintenance in 3 months. *eyeroll*

still not back studying, i'm enjoying the head space. I plan to re-asses when I plan to get back into it after summer.

I hope everyone has been well.

Take care SM
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 9th Jul 19, 11:06 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    signature updated.

Into the 4 figures with debt!
    House deposit nearly 20%
    * with next months regular payments I will have paid of 10k of debt in 19 months!

I will try and save more this month to top up EF. Fingers crossed I'll get some of the 1k+ maintenance SC's dad is behind on
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Jul 19, 6:37 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 28,032 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    That is great (that you had a great time, have paid down debt, have Mr Star home, have saved 20% of your house deposit).

That is terrible (re maintenance) - is there anything you can do?

Good to see you back and up for the challenges
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 46.03% spent so far, mid July
    My DFD is here
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 10th Jul 19, 10:32 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    That is great (that you had a great time, have paid down debt, have Mr Star home, have saved 20% of your house deposit).

That is terrible (re maintenance) - is there anything you can do?

Good to see you back and up for the challenges
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    I wish there was. It has been the same story for almost 9 years now unfortunately.
    Part of what he is supposed to be paying is back pay through CMS and he isn't even paying that. He is self-employed so short of them threatening him with a criminal conviction/ prison time they have little power.

Thankfully we earn enough for it not to really matter. (I tend to use it to top up SC savings or towards summer holiday childcare) It's more of a principal thing to be honest. It irks me that he can get away with being so irresponsible. SC is aware of how much of a let-down he is. She takes what she can from the situation.
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 10th Jul 19, 10:47 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Mr Star sent me the photos he took while we were in the lakes this weekend. I had an "OMG do I really look like that" moment.
    I'm 5 foot 6 (and a half) and wear a size 10 so I shouldn't look fat but I do. My torso is fine but my arms and legs look like bloody great sausages.
    I weighed myself this morning, 147lbs (this puts me just 9lbs away from being overweight) So not terrible but I just feel so dumpy and frumpy. Why do I not look slim at a size 10?! I'm active, running 5k 3x a week, I walk everywhere and swim lots. Just feel a bit down about it all to be honest.

I feel I need to put some work in now I'm in my 30's or gravity is only going to make it worse.

I've decided to just cut back, no biscuits and crisps and limit portion sizes of carbs at dinner, more fruit and veg and lots of water (goodbye milky coffee). I still need to be eating at least 1500 cals due to the exercise but I need to do something other than just cardio to tone up a bit. I will be upping my cardio anyway as I've signed up for a 180 mile relay run with a team at work- will see us each running 3 legs over the course of 36 hours- I've never run at night before so will be interesting. The average pace of the team is 8 minute miles ...I'm not that fast and I don't want to be the weak link

I'd like to get down to 126lbs again- but I'll concentrate on losing 10% first taking me to 132 lbs.
    I aim to lose about 1lb a week. I'd like to feel a bit better in swimwear when we go away at the end of August and good in swimwear when we go away in October.

Posting for accountability really.
    I need to stop being so complacent...The cream teas I had this weekend are not an appropriate lunch!
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 11th Jul 19, 8:10 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    Starmummy
    The eating side went well yesterday. I came in at 1359 cals so a little light but ok.
    Breakfast: 1 slice of whole grain toast with whole nut butter. apple. mug of tea
    Lunch: hot smoked salmon with salad leaves, beetroot and olives.
    Dinner; veggie 'pizza'
    Snacks: strawberries and baby plum toms. 2 coffees with a dash of milk.

drank 2ltrs water.

Exercise: ran home from work (4.9k)
    The run was tough, my legs felt heavy as it had been a week since my last actual run. It was so hot and muggy too. But I did it. I think i need to have something mid afternoon on days I run home from work-maybe a banana or something.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,996Users online

Martin's Twitter