Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 6th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 1,206Posts
    • 3,532Thanks
    SSDD23
    Determed To Do It
    • 6th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    Determed To Do It 6th Jun 19 at 7:37 PM
    Yes... this a new diary... again

There is a new plan of action in place, so I felt things needed a clean thread. For anyone who was reading along on my last diary, my OH is in the process of selling his old marital home and was going to be in a position whereby he would clear my debts and I would just repay him monthly.

This is now no longer the case, the asking price has been reduced and with fees etc included he would not be left with much of a nest egg past paying his own substantial debts, so I have told him to keep his hard-earned money for himself and I will do this the way I should always have been doing it.

Since we first had the discussion about clearing both of our debts, I have been somewhat complacent with paying them i.e the bare minimums and not a lot has really gone down! I have spent my time at work and at home today since making the decision to do it alone, calculating and calculating.

At present I have just opted to increase my contribution to the household (having taken on a second job) until his house is sold and he has more disposable income to not need extra money from me - I have seen his projected I & E sheet, he will be living a very easy life - but will reduce this amount slightly once he has heaps of disposable income, even after savings.

So, with all of the above in mind I have input my figures into a snowball calculator as they should be around the time he gets the money from the house, at which point the total will be around 4.5k. This is input with my current balances minus three months worth of payments (factoring in interest, etc) and these are minimum balances in the sense of, I am aiming for them to be slightly lower but that is a definite figure they will be. The good old calculator tells me this will be 10 months of paying down the debt to get to zero, and my aim is to get that done much sooner!

I have calculated it with 500 per month in debt payments, I could push to 550, and obviously I will have income from surveys and other bits and pieces to overpay them, too. I am confident I can actually pay off one debt before the snowball starts, and that 30pm can be thrown into the mix to pay more off of the other debts.

Pots I currently have in place:
    "Carry Over" pot for leftover/extra money to be carried to the next month
    "Car 2020" pot - insurance and tax money as a minimum, preferably service and MOT costs too
    I also have a HTB ISA with a whole 5 in, but I was aware they would not be around to open one for much longer!

The positives:
    - I actually feel really good about doing it by myself, I was wary of mixing so much money into our relationship and I will feel really proud when it is done
    - I just won 12 absolutely free in a promo room on bingo online and have withdrawn that

Bear with me if you have read my previous diaries, and are rolling your eyes at the thought of another one, this is the new plan and it is the final plan!

I am off now to print off my snowball sheet to show OH, and go for a quick stroll before tidying the house.

How do I feel right now? Determined.
    Debt Target #02 - 0/207.66 (0%)
    Debts busted: 1/11
    NSD Target: 9/20
Page 2
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 13th Jun 19, 11:47 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    SSDD23 - you are very welcome

If you g00gle "share amazon prime with family" there is a step by step guide!
    LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 21,225 PAID OFF
    *DEBT FREE 28th September 2015*

• SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Jun 19, 2:23 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    SSDD23 - you are very welcome

If you g00gle "share amazon prime with family" there is a step by step guide!
    Originally posted by natsplatnat
    Will show OH this evening

Small little win for the day, I have previously always used the "I want to cancel" tactic to get a discount on the Now TV passes we have, then stopped getting offered it (presumably because I'd done it for about a year straight) and just went on and got discounted passes for another 4 months, saving about 7 each month

We don't have a tv package or anything like that, we just use internet stuff like Now TV
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 17th Jun 19, 7:30 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    What a busy weekend! I had hoped for my only lie-in for the week yesterday (a.k.a. 8am) but OH's kids were awake at 6am I woke up this morning genuinely hoping it was Sunday again and I could have a lie-in, but alas it was Monday oh well, maybe this weekend!

It's been a productive few days, I've been doing qualification stuff for some online work, and I've qualified for two projects and taken an exam for the third (find out the result on Friday), so over the next few weeks I should be able to make a start on those which will provide some serious dents in the debt!

Second job was good this weekend, I feel like I am finally finding my feet properly and can do most bits and pieces without needing help now, so that feels good

On the home stretch to the next payday now, second job pays in 11 days and main job either 11 or 12 days as it falls on a Sunday.

Today also marks the start of healthy eating and exercise again, I lost nearly a stone after my holiday but I am significantly rounder again now, so I really need to work on that and get back to the gym.

Happy Monday guys
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 18th Jun 19, 8:07 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I think I am going to start having to do daily to-do lists on my phone for just the basic things at the moment, my brain is being pretty useless!

I meant to turn the heating timer off this morning as it was only on for a few hours this morning to dry OH's daughters school dress that came on her yesterday covered in paint and we had no spare, but forgot to do that so will need to remember when I get home. I was also supposed to take some food out of the freezer, but forgot to do that also.

Had to leave the house this morning with washing up to be done and ironing piles everywhere, that's going to be a job for this evening to get back on top of the ironing, but the washing up is just going to be bunged in the dishwasher with tonights plates, etc.

I'm usually much more on the ball, and it's not even the extra working hours at the weekend as I am still doing the stuff when I get home that I would usually do, Lord knows what is going wrong but I just need some time with an empty house to power through it, I should be able to get things completely square again on Thursday and then just keep it going!

I know that's not MSE but I hate not being on top of things

On brighter news, I should be able to start working on one of the online jobs by the weekend, I find out the exam result for another on Friday (its touch-and-go) and the third I will be starting at the end of the month, so all positive stuff there! I have done a theoretical budget based on minimum income from that, and it all looks very good!
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 18th Jun 19, 10:52 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    I think I am going to start having to do daily to-do lists on my phone for just the basic things at the moment, my brain is being pretty useless!

I meant to turn the heating timer off this morning as it was only on for a few hours this morning to dry OH's daughters school dress that came on her yesterday covered in paint and we had no spare, but forgot to do that so will need to remember when I get home. I was also supposed to take some food out of the freezer, but forgot to do that also.

Had to leave the house this morning with washing up to be done and ironing piles everywhere, that's going to be a job for this evening to get back on top of the ironing, but the washing up is just going to be bunged in the dishwasher with tonights plates, etc.

I'm usually much more on the ball, and it's not even the extra working hours at the weekend as I am still doing the stuff when I get home that I would usually do, Lord knows what is going wrong but I just need some time with an empty house to power through it, I should be able to get things completely square again on Thursday and then just keep it going!

I know that's not MSE but I hate not being on top of things

On brighter news, I should be able to start working on one of the online jobs by the weekend, I find out the exam result for another on Friday (its touch-and-go) and the third I will be starting at the end of the month, so all positive stuff there! I have done a theoretical budget based on minimum income from that, and it all looks very good!
    Originally posted by SSDD23
    Awesome news re the extra online work its great that you keep finding ways to increase your income. Its fab that you are so determined and I wish I could find that mindset sometimes.

The bout of forgetfulness will pass, maybe its coz you are filling your time so much that it just slips your mind, hopefully you will get back into the routine soon, once you get used to all the extra stuff

You are doing fab!
    Debt Figure on 8th June : 6129
    Current Debt Figure : 5572.33
    1st Target: Repay Loan to Mum (140/540)
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 18th Jun 19, 1:32 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Awesome news re the extra online work its great that you keep finding ways to increase your income. Its fab that you are so determined and I wish I could find that mindset sometimes.

The bout of forgetfulness will pass, maybe its coz you are filling your time so much that it just slips your mind, hopefully you will get back into the routine soon, once you get used to all the extra stuff

You are doing fab!
    Originally posted by FootyFanDan
    Thank you

I am always trying to find new ways to earn haha, mostly as my main job is very, very quiet and I can utilise my time to do other stuff without it interfering, so I have been looking for ways to maximise that time!

OH is going to view a house tomorrow which we were quietly confident we'd stand a chance of getting as it has been on there for a while at the photos aren't great but we did a drive by and the area and houses look nice. However, it's gone on again today with a second EA, so I said if it's nice (and the new ad photos look lovely) he needs to tell them we are taking it or we will lose our chance like all of the other houses! It's 3 bedrooms so the kids will have their own rooms and has a drive, it's lovely! So, will keep everything crossed tomorrow
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 18th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 27,854 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Exciting times....fingers crossed for you x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 4650.00 Lloyds: 8700.00 BC: 300.00 Cap One: GONE
    July LTW 3/22 ~ July NSD 2/10
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 3474.49/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 300.52/500 ~ EF 55/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 18th Jun 19, 1:52 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Thank you

I am always trying to find new ways to earn haha, mostly as my main job is very, very quiet and I can utilise my time to do other stuff without it interfering, so I have been looking for ways to maximise that time!

OH is going to view a house tomorrow which we were quietly confident we'd stand a chance of getting as it has been on there for a while at the photos aren't great but we did a drive by and the area and houses look nice. However, it's gone on again today with a second EA, so I said if it's nice (and the new ad photos look lovely) he needs to tell them we are taking it or we will lose our chance like all of the other houses! It's 3 bedrooms so the kids will have their own rooms and has a drive, it's lovely! So, will keep everything crossed tomorrow
    I am going to look into doing some extra work to get some additional income, always thought about surveys but they seem so long process to get a few extra quid. Although my main job is also very quiet. The day shift can get busy but night shift is quiet so could maybe look into doing it then. What would you say are the best survey sites?

Oooo good luck with the house fingers crossed.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 18th Jun 19, 2:11 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Thanks both it's only a rental but I want somewhere where we would be quite happy for a couple of years whilst saving to buy, they're just all going so quickly at the moment!

Dan - I only really use Prolific on a daily basis. Opinion outpost when I don't mind getting screened out as you can cash out at 2.50 which adds up if you do it often enough, and I've had some free samples from there (I have a parcel of Pepsi actually waiting for me to pick up). Populus Live I do whenever I am eligible for a survey as they claim to pay 1 per 5 minutes and send you a cheque at 50, and Opinium Research as and when I get those, too. They're only for small amounts but they don't take long and you cash out at 25. Also, you get invited to panels occasionally and I got 35 in Amazon vouchers last time
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 19th Jun 19, 8:10 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Made a bit of a bold call yesterday, been feeling consistently blue, down, low mood and tired for as long as I can remember. I did a course of online CBT, read countless books and not much feels different, so I thought about asking my doctor if I could retry medication to help me feel a bit more myself. There were no appointments online until next month, so I did an online "ask your doctor a question" thing and explained how I was feeling and what I had tried, and he phoned me this morning to talk through things and was happy to try some tablets and has sent the prescription over to the pharmacy to pick up later.

I did take them previously but I think once I started to feel better I just stopped taking them, rather than doing a full course so to speak, so we will see how it goes. I've never been sure how I feel about tablets to aid with depression, anxiety, etc but I definitely need something as I really have not felt myself in a long time!

Today should be my last spendy day for a while, I need to pick up the prescription and some oil for my car as it has gone through a lot but my mechanic popped by the other night when I mentioned it and said there's no obvious leaks so to top it up and see how it goes, and he will pop it up on the ramp and have a closer look if it all just goes again.

I should have around 10 coming from Prolific this week, so it kind of counters these extra expenses
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 19th Jun 19, 1:27 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Spendy spendy lunch break, but got everything done that I needed to!

I forgot that I had set my Car 2020 pot on Monzo up to round my transactions up and put the change in that pot - clearly it's not very noticeable as there's nearly 10 in it my first thought was "bonus, now I only need to put 40 in this month" but I had a word with myself - I have the money to put 50 in, so I should put the 50 in and just have more in the pot!

I think I will probably transfer over on payday the amount I know I have leftover after bills and stuff into the Monzo account/into a pot so that I can maximise the whole "Save the change" thing. I did think the transactions I made today were weird to all have been round amounts

So.. OH went to view the house and said it's just as nice as the photos, so told them we want it. I have a satisifed CCJ (3 years old, 2 years satisfied) which they are aware of, they basically said either we pass for a joint tenancy or we don't and it just goes into OH's name but I can live there, which is fine as he is the way higher earner. So, in theory, this should be our next home! OH alone earns enough to satisfy their workings out for rent affordability, even more so with both our incomes factored in.

All looking good! Exciting times indeed
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 19th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 27,854 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    How exciting, I'm sure it will go through ok. xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 4650.00 Lloyds: 8700.00 BC: 300.00 Cap One: GONE
    July LTW 3/22 ~ July NSD 2/10
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 3474.49/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 300.52/500 ~ EF 55/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 19th Jun 19, 4:57 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    How exciting, I'm sure it will go through ok. xx
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    I hope so! I'm excited to get home and fill out the forms - how sad
    • charlotte1988
    • By charlotte1988 20th Jun 19, 9:38 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    charlotte1988
    How exciting on the possible new home hope it all goes through with no issues for you.
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #179 : 992.9‬0/1832.32

1 Debt v 100 days challenge: 136.47/266.47
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 20th Jun 19, 10:17 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Good luck with the move

Exciting times
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 20th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    How exciting on the possible new home hope it all goes through with no issues for you.
    Originally posted by charlotte1988
    Good luck with the move

Exciting times
    Originally posted by efes shareholder
    Thank you

The forms got put in this morning, they just said to OH that they will "get it all off today" so don't know really when we will hear anything? On the plus side, in the T's & C's before signing it said that any unsatisfied CCJ's could lead to rejection etc so as mine is satisfied, I'm hoping that the joint tenancy will go through with no issues I had to tick a box to say I had one then add a sheet with more information so I just printed a screenshot from my credit file showing when it was issued and when it was satisfied (2017) and explained how it came around - should be fine hopefully as it's not rent related or anything.

Fingers crossed! X
    • DancingInTheRain
    • By DancingInTheRain 20th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    DancingInTheRain
    Been a bit of a long time lurker of yours so thought I'd say hello.
    Exciting times with the new house, hope it all works out for you. Oh and I'm a massive fan of to-do lists in my phone, I have lots of alerts going off throughout the day as I'm convinced the memory part of my brain has a sieve attached to it
    Also wanted to say well done on the steps you have taken to look after yourself and your mental health, wishing you well x
    01/06/19 Total Debt 13,636 12,865 5.65% PAID
    CC1 (0% to June 2020) 2,708/2,290 CC2 (0% to October 2020) 5,978/5,850 Family Loan 4,950/4,725
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 21st Jun 19, 8:16 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Thank you for your very kind words DITR

OH is hoping we will hear about the house today, so hopefully we do.
    I have an evening to myself tonight until OH gets in around 11ish, so I am going to make the most of it and dye my hair, have a nice relaxing bath, and just chill out!

Not much else to report today, I should find out if I passed an exam for an online project today, and will hopefully be made active on another before the start of next week, so if that all pans out I should have some hours to invoice for the end of the month, to be paid next month
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 21st Jun 19, 3:11 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Well - I passed the exam and got straight onto the project and did a tiny bit of work, it's something I'll be able to juggle with my very quiet FT job quite easily so that should bring in some extra money without taking up much extra time
    • FootyFanDan
    • By FootyFanDan 21st Jun 19, 9:57 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    FootyFanDan
    Well - I passed the exam and got straight onto the project and did a tiny bit of work, it's something I'll be able to juggle with my very quiet FT job quite easily so that should bring in some extra money without taking up much extra time
    Congratulations on passing the exam. Hopefully you will have good news regarding the house move soon too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin