Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1,187Posts
    • 8,906Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 3:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 28
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 10th Jun 19, 8:22 AM
    • 8,708 Posts
    • 19,335 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Sounds like lots of people with some great sewing plans on the horizon!
    Wish you all the best with your projects.

I have a machine but little to no ability on it, the aforementioned bowl covers appeal immensely though. Particularly for my mixer bowl which always ends up dusty even in the cupboard. Might set that as a goal for myself. I'm sure I have some elastic too.

My loom knitting continues. It's coming together quite quickly. I'm cursed now however with some sore patches from pressure\repeated actions so I may need to leave it for a few says . Sewing might be a good compromise, especially as we've rains predicted till midweek and then I'm away with D'S up North.....

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 43\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 10th Jun 19, 9:13 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Wow Laura, I'm not sure if I would have the patience to do all that! However, I have just been given a lovely wrap dress in jersey fabric, brand-new. It fits me everywhere except across the bust. Despite having lost weight I still have what the French call "a crowd on the balcony", and always will have, standard dresses don't fit me. Now I'm wondering if I could add some plain navy to the crossover edges to make it fit ... I must remember the various UFOs I have on hand, and be realistic. You're very inspiring!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Go for it!

I have the 42" back and shoulders of an Olympic swimmer, and the bust of someone with a 34" back... so anything that fits my front means I can't move my arms, and anything that fits my back hangs off me at the front...! Add to that extra-long arms and legs, and you can see why I started making my own clothes - nothing ever has fitted me, when I was lean and lithe or now I'm plump!

I think the dress-adapting won't be that difficult or long - I did pin the excess ties onto the bust a year or so back and it worked perfectly for adapting it to fit me (it's also alarmingly low-cut, so it makes me feel rather more decent!); the waist-sash is dead simple; the halterneck adaptation I've done before so won't be difficult... the only bit I've not done is extending the length by adding a wide stripe above the hem - and the only thing I'll need to calculate there is the flare of the skirt and whether that might cause a problem with a lower hem 'needing' to be longer in terms of hem-length than the current one is. I doubt there's any seam allowance to speak of! But I can cobble something... it's amazing what the eye doesn't see when there are brightly-coloured bits nearby!
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 22.5 coupons left out of 66
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 12th Jun 19, 6:27 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Please miss, may I curl up in a corner with my knitting?

Work is up in the air a bit and, after 2 months of travelling to the West Country, I’m home bound for a while. I’m a bit bored and, while I have some things to finish up, I’m basically twiddling my thumbs until the next stage of the project commences. I’ve realised that when I’m like this, I seek comfort in knitting, talk of knitting and wool. I’ve been browsing Ravelry with a vengeance - it’s sad that their once-active discussion boards have all gone quiet. (I blame FB.). I’ve purchased some patterns and bookmarked others.

Also, I’ve finally spent last birthday’s gift vouchers - on 10 balls of lace weight BFL from Blacker - and I’m trying hard not to purchase anything else. As mentioned before, I think purchases made with gift vouchers should come from the gifter’s coupons. The only reason my MIL didn’t buy me actual BFL - bluefaced Leicester wool - for my birthday last year was because Blacker were out of stock. As a group are we OK with that idea?

Anyway, I’m out of sorts and would appreciate a knitting session with a crafty friend or two, preferably with a dog asleep by my feet and a cat curled up next to me.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 12th Jun 19, 7:03 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Please miss, may I curl up in a corner with my knitting?
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Of course you may! Would you like another biscuit with that mug of cocoa?

I’ve been browsing Ravelry with a vengeance - it’s sad that their once-active discussion boards have all gone quiet. (I blame FB.).
    Not all of them! Try the Chocolate Teapot... mildly bonkers, but very lovely people...

Also, I’ve finally spent last birthday’s gift vouchers - on 10 balls of lace weight BFL from Blacker - and I’m trying hard not to purchase anything else. As mentioned before, I think purchases made with gift vouchers should come from the gifter’s coupons. The only reason my MIL didn’t buy me actual BFL - bluefaced Leicester wool - for my birthday last year was because Blacker were out of stock. As a group are we OK with that idea?
    Absolutely fine by me!

Anyway, I’m out of sorts and would appreciate a knitting session with a crafty friend or two, preferably with a dog asleep by my feet and a cat curled up next to me.

- Pip
    There's that lovely, lovely bit at the end of the Silence of the Lambs book, completely ignored by most readers, where Clarice Starling has survived all kinds of things, and it's late autumn or winter, and she's completely strung-out and wrung-out, and the chap from the Museum simply tells her that his extended family are all spending a few days at a big old family house somewhere remote on a lake, where people will be company or leave you alone as you like, and you can just help yourself to a kitchen full of food, and there are hundreds of books "and enough dogs for everyone to have one on their feet"...

He doesn't mention knitting, but I'm pretty sure a house like that would have big armchairs by the fire just right for knitting in.

EDIT: I actually went and dug it out - it's the final chapter:

""So what did Pilcher say on the phone?" Mapp said, leaning against the landing gear.
    "He and his sister have this place on the Chesapeake."
    "Yeah, and?"
    "His sister's there with her kids and dogs and maybe her husband."
    "So?"
    "They're in one end of the house--- it's a big old dump on the water they inherited from his grandmother."
    "Cut to the chase."
    "Pilch has the other end of the house. Next weekend, he wants us to go. Lots of rooms, he says. 'As many rooms as anybody might need,' I believe is the way he put it. His sister would call and invite me, he said."
    "No kidding. I didn't know people did that anymore."
    "He did this nice scenario--- no hassles, bundle up and walk on the beach, come in and there's a fire going, dogs jump all over you with their big sandy paws."
    "Idyllic, umm-humm, big sandy paws, go on."
    "It's kind of much, considering we've never had a date, even. He claims it's best to sleep with two or three big dogs when it gets really cold. He says they've got, enough dogs for everybody to have a couple."
    "Pilcher's setting you up for the old dog-suit trick, you snapped to that didn't you?"
    "He claims to be a good cook. His sister says he is."
    "Oh, she called already."
    "Yep."
    "How'd she sound?"
    "Okay. Sounded like she was in the other end of the house."
    "What did you tell her?"
    "I said, 'Yes, thank you very much,' is what I said."
    "Good," Mapp said. "That's very good. Eat some crabs. Grab Pilcher, and smooch him on his face, go wild."
    Last edited by Laura_Elsewhere; 12-06-2019 at 7:11 PM.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 12th Jun 19, 8:05 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Of course you may! Would you like another biscuit with that mug of cocoa?
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Yes, please. Please join me.

Not all of them! Try the Chocolate Teapot... mildly bonkers, but very lovely people...

Will do.

There's that lovely, lovely bit at the end of the Silence of the Lambs book, completely ignored by most readers, where Clarice Starling has survived all kinds of things, and it's late autumn or winter, and she's completely strung-out and wrung-out, and the chap from the Museum simply tells her that his extended family are all spending a few days at a big old family house somewhere remote on a lake, where people will be company or leave you alone as you like, and you can just help yourself to a kitchen full of food, and there are hundreds of books "and enough dogs for everyone to have one on their feet"...

He doesn't mention knitting, but I'm pretty sure a house like that would have big armchairs by the fire just right for knitting in.

EDIT: I actually went and dug it out - it's the final chapter:

""So what did Pilcher say on the phone?" Mapp said, leaning against the landing gear.
    "He and his sister have this place on the Chesapeake."
    "Yeah, and?"
    "His sister's there with her kids and dogs and maybe her husband."
    "So?"
    "They're in one end of the house--- it's a big old dump on the water they inherited from his grandmother."
    "Cut to the chase."
    "Pilch has the other end of the house. Next weekend, he wants us to go. Lots of rooms, he says. 'As many rooms as anybody might need,' I believe is the way he put it. His sister would call and invite me, he said."
    "No kidding. I didn't know people did that anymore."
    "He did this nice scenario--- no hassles, bundle up and walk on the beach, come in and there's a fire going, dogs jump all over you with their big sandy paws."
    "Idyllic, umm-humm, big sandy paws, go on."
    "It's kind of much, considering we've never had a date, even. He claims it's best to sleep with two or three big dogs when it gets really cold. He says they've got, enough dogs for everybody to have a couple."
    "Pilcher's setting you up for the old dog-suit trick, you snapped to that didn't you?"
    "He claims to be a good cook. His sister says he is."
    "Oh, she called already."
    "Yep."
    "How'd she sound?"
    "Okay. Sounded like she was in the other end of the house."
    "What did you tell her?"
    "I said, 'Yes, thank you very much,' is what I said."
    "Good," Mapp said. "That's very good. Eat some crabs. Grab Pilcher, and smooch him on his face, go wild."
    That is a lovely story. I must admit that I’m one of those readers who’d forgotten that epilogue. Thank you for quoting it. It is perfect.

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 12th Jun 19, 8:08 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    It's the ONLY bit of the entire story that stayed with me!

Well, that and the memory of the time I read it. One Easter holiday at university when I was the single, solitary, lone occupant of my entire block of Halls of Residence.

That was a very very very very very long scary night of endlessly shrieking silently WHAT-WAS-THAT?????? at every tiny noise

I don't read scary books any more
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Jun 19, 9:15 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 25,839 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I've never read the book, the film was so scary I didn't fancy it. However that does sound lovely. Just what you need when you're a bit washed-out and fed up.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 12th Jun 19, 9:51 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    Laura

I wish I could sew like you but my skills are not that great. I would have no idea how to upcycle and change garments like you have described but can follow a pattern to an extent. (Get stuck, re-read a dozen or so times and then hopefully understand what it is asking for).
    Once you’ve redrafted your dress you must let us see.

Pip

Curling up in the corner with knitting sound lovely and especially if you’ve a fire going (weather has chilled here so fire put on just to take the chill off).

GMAT
    Lost my way for a while but now back on board

Grocery challenge June £160.34/£200, May £234.30/£200
    2019 Fashion on the Ration 17/44
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 8
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th Jun 19, 11:05 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    It's the ONLY bit of the entire story that stayed with me!

Well, that and the memory of the time I read it. One Easter holiday at university when I was the single, solitary, lone occupant of my entire block of Halls of Residence.

That was a very very very very very long scary night of endlessly shrieking silently WHAT-WAS-THAT?????? at every tiny noise

I don't read scary books any more
    Me neither. I avoid horror films, too.

How did you end up staying at Uni over Easter? You must have felt very lonely.

I've never read the book, the film was so scary I didn't fancy it. However that does sound lovely. Just what you need when you're a bit washed-out and fed up.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Most of the book is a standard thriller and not too scary, or I wouldn't have read it. The film is much scarier.

Laura

I wish I could sew like you but my skills are not that great. I would have no idea how to upcycle and change garments like you have described but can follow a pattern to an extent. (Get stuck, re-read a dozen or so times and then hopefully understand what it is asking for).
    Once you’ve redrafted your dress you must let us see.
    Originally posted by getmyacttogether2016
    I'm in awe of Laura's sewing skills, too.

Pip

Curling up in the corner with knitting sound lovely and especially if you’ve a fire going (weather has chilled here so fire put on just to take the chill off).

GMAT
    I have visions of a library, with several comfy chairs arranged around a woodfire stove, a dog asleep on the rug in front of the fire and a cat curled up beside its knitting human. (Can't knit with a cat on your lap.)

My vision of heaven.

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 13th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I have visions of a library, with several comfy chairs arranged around a woodfire stove, a dog asleep on the rug in front of the fire and a cat curled up beside its knitting human. (Can't knit with a cat on your lap.)

My vision of heaven.

- Pip
    Can't knit with cat on your lap? You're just not trying...

Not a great pic, but here is my late cat, back in about 2012 or so, helping me knit boot-socks... (jumper knitted by a very talented friend, not by me!)

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 13th Jun 19, 12:58 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Can't knit with cat on your lap? You're just not trying...

Not a great pic, but here is my late cat, back in about 2012 or so, helping me knit boot-socks... (jumper knitted by a very talented friend, not by me!)

Awww.....

My one-and-only cat, Pushkins, used the "it's the knitting or me" tactic. She'd sit on the knitting, making it impossible to knit, until you gave up and stroked her.

The dogs were easier. They preferred to curl up beside you or to sit with their head on your knee. Puddles would eventually fall asleep in that position and you'd end up with full weight-of-dog pushing against your leg until gravity took over and he fell off.

- Pip (I want another dog...)

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 17th Jun 19, 8:46 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Starting to plan *properly* what I'm making myself over the next couple of years, so I can be realistic and get things finished...

And I find myself searching on eBay for suitable yarn for a jumper-idea in their 'used' category - bingo, a load of yarn someone bought and didn't use (it was discontinued years and years ago!), for under a tenner inc postage and no coupons because it's second-hand!

And it's coming into the flat for a designated project, so I'm not just adding vaguely to the huge stocks of wool I already have! I think I have to start considering selling some off, even at a discount (terrible habit of knitting up a few inches of sock and then changing my mind, so there's a lot not pristine!)....

But I'm pleased I'm not only thinking hard about buying clothes, but now I'm thinking hard about what clothes I make AND about what yarn I buy!
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 17th Jun 19, 9:42 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    I’m with you Laura on the planning.

Wednesday will be spent going through my patterns and deciding what I want to make and then checking if I have the material to make it. Have stockpiled a smallish amount of fabric although I do know that a lot of it is jersey and some in colours I no longer want to wear. (that could be the knickers sorted).

Am also going to make a start on my granny square blanket but undecided if to do smaller squares or 1 large granny square.

Keep well everyone.
    GMAT
    Lost my way for a while but now back on board

Grocery challenge June £160.34/£200, May £234.30/£200
    2019 Fashion on the Ration 17/44
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 8
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 18th Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Hi, folks, I'm still here, reading along, even if I'm not saying very much!

Things are not going terribly well project wise - the ball of wool I was going to use on my 'use up the odd balls of wool' blanket turned out to be 4 ply and not dk as I thought, I've put down the thread for the apron I was making for my niece's Christmas - and can I find it anywhere - nope- so I can't finish it, and the gingham that I was trying to make a present bag from proved to be so stretchy that I've thrown it away in the bin

Anyway, I treated myself to a new pair of slippers at the end of last week. They're Danish, made from felted wool (I wear them with socks so they don't touch my skin) and they cost a bomb, but they at least stay on my feet, and come up to my ankles so they are warm. So I'm afraid that is another 5 points for me, bringing me up to 29 so far.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 19th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hi, folks, I'm still here, reading along, even if I'm not saying very much!

Things are not going terribly well project wise - the ball of wool I was going to use on my 'use up the odd balls of wool' blanket turned out to be 4 ply and not dk as I thought, I've put down the thread for the apron I was making for my niece's Christmas - and can I find it anywhere - nope- so I can't finish it, and the gingham that I was trying to make a present bag from proved to be so stretchy that I've thrown it away in the bin

Anyway, I treated myself to a new pair of slippers at the end of last week. They're Danish, made from felted wool (I wear them with socks so they don't touch my skin) and they cost a bomb, but they at least stay on my feet, and come up to my ankles so they are warm. So I'm afraid that is another 5 points for me, bringing me up to 29 so far.
    Originally posted by CapricornLass
    The slippers sound lovely. Are you allergic to wool?

Re 4-ply vs DK, just use the 4-ply doubled to make it into DK. In Australia, DK is called “8-ply” for good reason. When commercial yarns first came on the market, they were all spun into a cobweb weight (1-ply) and then plied up, so “fingering weight” had four plies (it was also called “knitting weight”), “double knitting” had eight and chunky “12-ply” had twelve.

HTH.

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 19th Jun 19, 7:37 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm off today to Shrewsbury to meet a new friend, someone from the Ravelry knitting forum who lives locally-ish - we plan to go to the amazing fabric shop whose name I always forget so I call it Wotsit & Thingie but I think it's Watson & Thornton, AND we're going to Ewe & Ply, the brilliant yarn shop.... argh! Will my 22.5 coupons stay intact?!?!?

Also, I'm collecting those gorgeous Victorian-style ankle-boots from the Proper Cobbler, and look forward to wearing them about the flat for a few days to get used to them again...

EDIT: woohoo, I managed not to buy anything other than travel tickets, food and drink!
    Last edited by Laura_Elsewhere; 19-06-2019 at 2:09 PM.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 19th Jun 19, 3:24 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    You get what you pay for... aged 15, I paid £52 for these in 1984.... and aged 50, I am still wearing them, after a few years of their being in need of a Proper Cobbler's care!

• thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 19th Jun 19, 5:01 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 37,725 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Those boots are just awesome, Laura!

I'm still not in need of anything except a couple of new bras. All the medical fiddling about has come to an end now & I'm just left with a smallish plaster; I can't claim that's responsible for things not fitting correctly! I'm well out of shape though I didn't really put any weight on, so as long as there are no Big Occasions to plan for, I'll stick with my secondhand bargains until something resembling a waist has reappeared!

Speaking of which, I had a raid on the recycler's warehouse-shop earlier, with DD2; she came out with a fabulous old Clockhouse crocheted strappy summer dress, which she looks stunning in (she's all legs) & fits perfectly, and I have a new-to-me Wallis glittery jumper, a Pierre Cardin nobbly cardi, and a Monsoon glittery top; all for £2! I'm a total magpie; never can resist a bit of glitter... There were a few other bargains to put on my stall, too. So - no coupons spent, but I will, as soon as I can get to a lingerie department with "sensible" (i.e. G-cup) sizes...
    Angie

GC July 19 - £419.37/£400 - eeek!
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 39 coupons left out of 66

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 19th Jun 19, 6:34 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I love your boots, Laura. They are totally awesome. I have wanted a pair like them for years. Maybe if I save up...?

Talking of saving, ever since I broke a bone in my right foot in 2016, I’ve been thinking about getting a pair of DMs for work. (Normally, I wear loafers if I’m wearing trousers.) Well, two weeks ago, we were in Covent Garden so I checked out the DM shop. £175 for a pair of plain, black DMs made in the UK. £30-£40 more expensive than the ones made in Thailand or Vietnam. Time to start saving. I revisited my budget today at work and figured out that I can squeeze another £10 out of it, so can set £50 a month aside for clothes/shoes/makeup instead of the current £40. (The “Boot Fund” has £40 in it at present.) If I cut the Yarn Fund back to £10 - currently £20 - that’ll make it £60 a month, so 3 months saving will do it.

- Pip. (The last time I owned a pair of DMs, I was a student nurse in Australia and wore them for work.)

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 19th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 25,839 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Thank you for the picture Laura, I love the boots - and that really is thrifty! I'm saving up for a pair of Fly boots, annoyingly the price on Amazon has just gone up from £55 to £85 so I'm going to have to wait for it to come down - but you're making me think that they will probably be a good investment. Not as good as yours, you must have had great foresight and taste at 15!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,432Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter