Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 16th Jun 19, 9:49 AM
    • 9,158Posts
    • 16,994Thanks
    calleyw
    Moths
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:49 AM
    Moths 16th Jun 19 at 9:49 AM
    Morning,

Since the weather has been a bit warmer I leave the windows and even back door open until it gets dark. I am now plagued with moths in the house.

Apart from keeping the house shut up tight. What else can I can do. As seems no matter what room I sit in the moths are flying around.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    • 19,392 Posts
    • 49,206 Thanks
    elsien
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    What sort of moths?
    I have an influx at the moment but they're clothes moths so permanent inhabitants.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 11,702 Posts
    • 80,747 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    Moths don't like lavender.......

I put scented soaps in with my clothes, not just lavender most string smelling soap will put them off.

I also make up a lavender spray using lavender oil and water in one those small plastic spray bottles you get for holidays.

Cedar is also a good deterrent so hang those cedar disc things in your wardrobes.

For mozzies......I make up a spray of citronella oil.

Most insects dislike citrus so even a bowl of oranges or lemons will help. A lot of Them also dislike thyme so I always have a pot on my kitchen windowsill.

If you put knitwear in the freezer for a couple of hours the cold will destroy any eggs.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    • 7,503 Posts
    • 50,918 Thanks
    Gers
    • 16th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    Morning,

Since the weather has been a bit warmer I leave the windows and even back door open until it gets dark. I am now plagued with moths in the house.

Apart from keeping the house shut up tight. What else can I can do. As seems no matter what room I sit in the moths are flying around.

Yours

Calley x
    Originally posted by calleyw
    https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-49284,00.html

Some sort of nets or screen seems to be the answer.
    • smeeth
    • By smeeth 16th Jun 19, 10:26 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 5,240 Thanks
    smeeth
    • 16th Jun 19, 10:26 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 10:26 AM
    if they're the annoying little ones, you're not alone.
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 16th Jun 19, 11:42 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:42 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:42 AM
    https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-49284,00.html

Some sort of nets or screen seems to be the answer.
    Originally posted by Gers

That is something I had thought about. But not keen on sticking stuff on the window frames.

I might have to re think it though!!!!

Yours

Calley x

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 16th Jun 19, 11:45 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:45 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:45 AM
    What sort of moths?
    I have an influx at the moment but they're clothes moths so permanent inhabitants.
    Originally posted by elsien

Elsien,

No idea just little annoying moths.

During the day they seem to be on ceilings and coving. It does seem to be only the last few weeks they have appeared since the weather has been getting warmer and me leaving windows and doors for longer. And not seen any material be it clothes, bedding or towels that seem to be effected.

Yours

Calley x

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 16th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    Moths don't like lavender.......

I put scented soaps in with my clothes, not just lavender most string smelling soap will put them off.

I also make up a lavender spray using lavender oil and water in one those small plastic spray bottles you get for holidays.

Cedar is also a good deterrent so hang those cedar disc things in your wardrobes.

For mozzies......I make up a spray of citronella oil.

Most insects dislike citrus so even a bowl of oranges or lemons will help. A lot of Them also dislike thyme so I always have a pot on my kitchen windowsill.

If you put knitwear in the freezer for a couple of hours the cold will destroy any eggs.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned

I do love the smell of lavender. I have a friend who has loads of lavender bushes. Guess I will be off to get some cuttings of the flowers to dry.

Yours

Calley x

• JulieM
    • By JulieM 16th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    JulieM
    • 16th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    Moths are attracted to artificial light, most of them probably fly in through an open door at night when you turn on the light on. You need to close doors before you turn the lights on!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Jun 19, 6:45 PM
    • 12,097 Posts
    • 32,358 Thanks
    suki1964
    Window and door screens are a god send. I live in the country and the midges bite and Im allergic - screens are a must. The ones I have use velcro, they don't leave any damage at all to the frames

Growing lavender in window boxes of you don't have any close by flowerbeds

Keep the lights off in the evenings, it doesn't really get dark this time of year

And when you do switch lights on, its time to shut doors and windows that are not screened
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Zentimes
    • By Zentimes 17th Jun 19, 5:59 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Zentimes
    I use netting on all my windows - I'm an Aussie and can't understand why windows don't have wire screens here! But that aside, it doesn't stop the clothes moths, they are clearly already in the house/woollens and so every year I just have to swat the blasted things!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    • 29,814 Posts
    • 62,873 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's the clothes moths that I fear the most - munching their way through my wardrobe. I'm not a fan of synthetics, but nor do I want my clothes to be customised by the blighters.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,879Posts Today

7,026Users online

Martin's Twitter