Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 24th Apr 19, 6:09 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 500Thanks
    Smurphington
    Train tickets
    • 24th Apr 19, 6:09 PM
    Train tickets 24th Apr 19 at 6:09 PM
    Hi all, I am due to go away at the end of May and I wondered when the best time to get cheaper train tickets is ? (If any!) I have been looking for the last few weeks but they have not changed much. Can anyone offer any money saving advice?
Page 1
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 24th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 24,851 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 24th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 24th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    Article on the main MSE site.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 24th Apr 19, 6:50 PM
    • 9,700 Posts
    • 11,833 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 24th Apr 19, 6:50 PM
    • 24th Apr 19, 6:50 PM
    Approx 12 weeks, depends on the operator, but (a) there is a timetable change in early may (b) end of May you may have engineering work on the holiday weekend.

Current availability is shown here (National Rail) and some of the train operator websites will let you sign up for an email alert when your desired date is released.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 24th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 8,491 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 24th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 24th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com .
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 24th Apr 19, 9:00 PM
    • 22,822 Posts
    • 18,839 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 24th Apr 19, 9:00 PM
    • 24th Apr 19, 9:00 PM
    The prices may not be changing because all of the cheap tickets were sold back in February and the only ones available now are tickets that are always available.
    • tryin
    • By tryin 29th Apr 19, 4:18 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    tryin
    • 29th Apr 19, 4:18 PM
    • 29th Apr 19, 4:18 PM
    I've never heard of the price of train tickets going down. The best time is probably ASAP!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 29th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 5,457 Posts
    • 3,907 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 29th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 29th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    Train tickets only ever go up in my experience
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 30th Apr 19, 1:19 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 30th Apr 19, 1:19 PM
    • 30th Apr 19, 1:19 PM
    I've never heard of the price of train tickets going down. The best time is probably ASAP!
    Originally posted by tryin
    Train tickets only ever go up in my experience
    Originally posted by heatherw_01
    As previous posters have said, train companies issue a limited number of cheap advance tickets, restricting you to travel on particular trains. These usually become available around 12 weeks before the date of travel, but their release can get delayed if timetable changes are due or engineering works scheduled.

So when buying tickets it's always worth checking if the advanced tickets have been released for the date(s) on which you wish to travel, If they haven't then you may be able to get cheaper tickets if you wait until they are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,926Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter