Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 12th Apr 19, 9:54 PM
    • 2,598Posts
    • 2,249Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Faulty track pump
    • 12th Apr 19, 9:54 PM
    Faulty track pump 12th Apr 19 at 9:54 PM
    I've got a Zefal hp malamut track pump. (Must be about 20 plus years old!).

Got the tires up to pressure on my bike ok last weekend, but when I came to do my wife's bike there was clearly something wrong with the pump. During the up-stroke there seemed to be a hissing of escaping air from the barrel of the pump and the tires actually seemed to be deflating. Had resort to a hand pump and that seemed ok (but bl00dy hard work!) so I presume it's a fault with the track pump and not the tire valve.

Does this sound like I need a new track pump?
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    • 8,202 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    martindow
    • 13th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 11:28 AM
    I imagine the washer on the plunger has perished or worn. Zefal supply spares

http://www.zefal.com/en/139-pumps

if 20 year old pump parts are still available.

I've got pumps working a bit better by putting some oil inside the pump to improve the sealing. I hesitate to recommend this as it is probably not a good long term solution as it may be detrimental to the pump or tyres.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 15th Apr 19, 2:13 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 2,249 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:13 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:13 PM
    Thanks. I seem to remember as a kid (many decades ago!) using Vaseline(?) to make a bike pump washer more airtight. Will take apart and have a look.

EDIT: I note on their website they mention using a few drops of oil.
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 15-04-2019 at 2:19 PM. Reason: Add
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

569Posts Today

6,528Users online

Martin's Twitter