PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help me find an affordable place to buy a house

Comments

• Have you considered Maidstone?

You can buy a 2 bed house in and around Maidstone for under £300k. The city also offers decent amenities, links to London, access to Canterbury, southern coast and there are enough businesses established in the area should you wish to become employed.
  • homeless9
    homeless9 Posts: 340
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Towser wrote: »
    DE22 postcode is the least deprived in the area of Derby.

https://strata.co.uk/our-developments/definition-mackworth/barcelona-4-bedroom-homes/

nice, you can get this beauty for just £225,000. How much do you think I could get from having 3 lodgers in my spare rooms?
  • homeless9
    Forumite
    I will keep everyone's suggestions in mind. I have been looking at new build developments in the towns/cities suggested. I have also had a gander on Google street view.

For now I am waiting on some news on some recent Shared Ownership applications I made for new build properties available down here near Guildford. No doubt I will be rejected as the homes I have applied for are not in my borough. Seems pot luck whether you get one of these S.O homes. They don't build many in my borough, and if they do they are ridiculously overpriced flats in the town centre with ridiculously high service charges.

One of the housing associations I have applied for have significantly reduced the rents on their S.O properties as I guess they couldn't sell them with the initial rental charges they had in place. If I can get one then I'd be laughing - as they are affordable. Unfortunately it looks unlikely, only a few left and no contact from them, but fingers crossed.
  • corell
    corell Posts: 56 Forumite
    I'm surprised at the amount of responses saying Middlesbrough. The place is chav central. It's the worst place I ever lived. Rife with anti-social behaviour. I realise you may choose a completely different area to the one I lived in, but the chavs still go to the town centre.
  • homeless9
    Forumite
    corell wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the amount of responses saying Middlesbrough. The place is chav central. It's the worst place I ever lived. Rife with anti-social behaviour. I realise you may choose a completely different area to the one I lived in, but the chavs still go to the town centre.

Yes....

Please no Chav Towns.....
  • homeless9 wrote: »
    Yes....

What does this even mean? You don't want to have to see poor people?
  • MeepleH
    MeepleH Posts: 27 Forumite
    Im from the south east. I purchased a huge 3 bedroom house in the Scottish seaside town of Girvan for £45k.
    The air is clean and the views are stunning.
    Here is an example of what you can get for your money.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75546326.html
    I also work from home. I will never buy a house down south, its not worth it!
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Look outside the thing of wanting new builds too. I know a few that have bought them and they have had no end of problems. Shop around a bit. You can get good value for money if your out the towns too
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • homeless9
    Forumite
    MeepleH wrote: »
    Im from the south east. I purchased a huge 3 bedroom house in the Scottish seaside town of Girvan for £45k.
    The air is clean and the views are stunning.
    Here is an example of what you can get for your money.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75546326.html
    I also work from home. I will never buy a house down south, its not worth it!

Very nice. If you can find something so cheap in a place you like - that's amazing.

One thing I don't understand about people is - they pay all this money for a house and they don't give a !!!! about how it looks....

Even just a nice lick of paint to the outside of the house doesn't cost much and can make a big difference, yet people in the UK just let their house look a mess.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,237
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    corell wrote: »

Actually there are some nice areas and some bad areas in Middlesbrough- parts of Linthorpe, Nunthorpe, Acklam, Hemlington, Marton are private houses and nice.
    homeless9 wrote: »
    Yes....

Chavs in all towns.......
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure