Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 16th Mar 12, 4:47 PM
    • 1,239Posts
    • 3,569Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MSE Local eBay Deals tool discussion
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:47 PM
    MSE Local eBay Deals tool discussion 16th Mar 12 at 4:47 PM

Hi all, we've built a new Local eBay Deals Mapper tool find pick-up only bargains near you.

If you could let us know what you think, that would be fab. How are the results for you? Is there anything you'd like to see added?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-03-2012 at 9:13 AM.
Page 3
    • Talent
    • By Talent 23rd Mar 13, 12:05 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Talent
    Cannot select a 'Buy It Now' option on my PC but there is on my phone??
  • Cassie76
    On ebay (under advanced search) it's possible to search for items within so many miles of your postcode and to set other criteria such as price etc. This can be one on the PC or on the app. What does this ebay local mapper tool do that that can't be done using this advanced search on ebay?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 31st Jul 13, 1:49 PM
    • 34,612 Posts
    • 29,322 Thanks
    custardy
    On ebay (under advanced search) it's possible to search for items within so many miles of your postcode and to set other criteria such as price etc. This can be one on the PC or on the app. What does this ebay local mapper tool do that that can't be done using this advanced search on ebay?
    Originally posted by Cassie76
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=51848051&postcount=11
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 31st Jul 13, 3:10 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    Originally posted by Cassie76
    Make money for Martin...?
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • Silver_Lining
    Fantastic! Downloaded this yesterday and ended up winning two le Crueset cast iron saucepans.

£24 (plus I have a £10 ebay voucher which will hopefully make them £14 for the pair!)

Should be well over £50 each from the cheapest I've seen them when hunting, or around £70-95 each new. Thank you moneysavingexpert!
    Saving since 2005 --> September '13: 37,800! Mortgage deposit saved!
  • chocwill
    Hi .... Newbie to the Forums here

I've got this app on my Samsung GS2 mobile phone and it works fine, apart from the fact that it won't allow me to 'Watch' an item. It tells me it's been saved to my Watchlist but when I check my Watchlist, there's nothing saved there!

What am I doing wrong???
    • sufcfan1
    • By sufcfan1 17th Sep 13, 12:56 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    sufcfan1
    Chocwill,

I had a similar problem with mine, i think if you press 'Watch' in the app, it adds it to the intenal app watch list, which you can access on the front page of the app.

To add it to your ebay watch list, press the 'Go' button and then add the item to your watch list in ebay itself.

Hope that makes a tiny bit of sense.
  • chocwill
    Thanks for the reply, SUFCFAN1.

Yes, that's what I've been trying to do but when I tap 'Watchlist' on the front page of the App, it says something like, 'There are 0 items in your Watchlist', even though I've just added it!!

Oh well, as you say, I'll have to just add it onto my normal Ebay Watchlist.
  • chocwill
    Replying to myself here ...

I uninstalled the App then installed it again, and it's worked!
    how about a little love for the irish and remove that pesky postcode requirement?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Nov 13, 6:14 PM
    • 34,612 Posts
    • 29,322 Thanks
    custardy
    how about a little love for the irish and remove that pesky postcode requirement?
    Originally posted by 102091101
    given it searches eBay
    how would it narrow its distance parameters?
    As I have said before,you can add the search terms yourself within eBay
    No need for search 'tools' that are really ways to generate revenue
    • zebedy
    • By zebedy 7th Dec 13, 3:15 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    zebedy
    I'm now having major problems with the iphone tool. I live in Marlow Buckinghamshire and have the tool set for 'within 5 miles' but have bought something located in Swansea!!!! The sellers user name had the word 'marlow' so maybe this is why the item showed up.
    I'm now in discussion with the seller
    This needs to be looked into
    Also the app keeps crashing
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years
    ---------
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th Dec 13, 3:27 PM
    • 34,612 Posts
    • 29,322 Thanks
    custardy
    I'm now having major problems with the iphone tool. I live in Marlow Buckinghamshire and have the tool set for 'within 5 miles' but have bought something located in Swansea!!!! The sellers user name had the word 'marlow' so maybe this is why the item showed up.
    I'm now in discussion with the seller
    This needs to be looked into
    Also the app keeps crashing
    Originally posted by zebedy

why use it?
    you can set up the search parameters in ebay
    then they are always available in your 'my ebay'
    • Connie
    • By Connie 9th Dec 13, 4:27 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Connie
    Not foolproof
    Neither the MSE local eBay deals tool, nor localbargainfinder.com is foolproof.
    I'm not impressed with either of them.

I have a piano listed for sale at the moment on eBay. Just out of curiosity I searched for any items in any category within 25 miles of my postcode. Each search only produces 2 items, neither of which is my piano.

On eBay itself, searching for "piano" only, there are 30 items within 25 miles of my postcode.
  • RobinH
    Why can't I see my own Items on Local Deals?
    I currently have about 10 items on e-bay. going to finish in 2-3 days time but none of them appear on the local Deals listings.
    Any ice why this might be? I have checked that all the post codes registered to my e-bay account are correct.
    Cheers
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 20th Mar 14, 10:00 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    I currently have about 10 items on e-bay. going to finish in 2-3 days time but none of them appear on the local Deals listings.
    Any ice why this might be? I have checked that all the post codes registered to my e-bay account are correct.
    Cheers
    Originally posted by RobinH
    When using www.localbargainfinder.com or any of the other clone tools, you need to ensure you have some of the keyword triggers somewhere in your listing description, such as "cash on collection", “buyer to collect”, "buyer must collect", "collection only", "no postage", "pick up only", "unable to post", "needs to be collected", "Collection in Person only", "can't post", “buyer collects”, "must be collected", etc.
  • Larzoapso
    Local eBay Deals Mapper - Not Saving Postcode
    Hello,

Has anyone else noticed that the tool has stopped storing your postcode when you put the tick in.

I have Cookies enabled etc. and I have looked at the cookie that is stored on my computer and it does contain my postcode.

However, on exiting my browsers (I've tested on both Internet Explorer and Chrome) and then going back to the tool it doesn't remember the postcode.
  • mjcannar
    Search keeps failing especially getting to next pages
    Search keeps failing especially getting to next pages. says it's found nothing when going to 2nd page after originally show 4 pages found! Didn't use to happen until just recently.

• sax11
    • By sax11 30th May 14, 10:09 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 20,222 Thanks
    sax11
    within 60 miles , no maximum, across all items there was nothing

searching on ebay i found some items within 2 miles , used that spec and still nothing

i would say that tool is crap
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 2nd Jun 14, 5:20 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    All of the ebay category codes have changed recently, not all of the local bargain finder tools have been updated yet though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

683Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter