Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the:
    June 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 04-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 15
    • lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 1st Jul 12, 8:27 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    lilian1977
    £1 on milk in Iceland today so £8.54 now spent.10% spent, 10% into the month!

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 1st Jul 12, 8:29 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 87,056 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Omg 15 pages and it's only the first of the month!

Nappy stock for the month: £15.96
    I say that but DS could do with more pullups for bedtime.
    Last edited by bossymoo; 01-07-2012 at 8:32 PM.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 1st Jul 12, 9:06 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    My 5 year old son thinks his world has ended..we have ran out of L**ls strawberry jam ..but mummy its just the best ...what will I do ??? lol x
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 1st Jul 12, 9:09 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 27,322 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Omg 15 pages and it's only the first of the month!
    Originally posted by bossymoo
    Tell me 'bout it

Made some scones today courtesy of MILs recipe. Recipe uses buttermilk. Will post it up when I get a chance. Lush. Will freeze some for later use.

Also had the twinks from the batch I froze the other day. Honestly tasted better than on the day I made them, so YES you can definitely freeze them. Usually they disappear before I get a chance to do so however....

Had roasted gammon today and the leftovers are in the fridge. As I type I am fending of DH eating them as he now has the munchies Trying to reason that it will make another meal - gammon in batter a la Flo. This is one of the reasons I keep going over budget. Live with piggie wig wiggies, oink oink.
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • MrsCD
    • By MrsCD 1st Jul 12, 9:12 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 11,241 Thanks
    MrsCD
    Wow! What a lot of newbies! Hello, and hope you're enjoying it here

Happy birthday Fozzie..You're only one day older than you were yesterday Glad you've found a nice new man - hope it works out for you Pleased your DD isn't letting the waiting stop her doing nice stuff.

froogefraggle - Aaaarrrgggghhh!!!! Will grannie help to replace anything? That's awful, you must be so annoyed and upset.
    Sending hugs to you if it helps

In_it...Well done on the soup making Sorry can't help with pitta bread, but someone else has posted a recipe for you to try.

PG - Well done making all the jam Even when it's not much difference in the cost of SM jam, it just tastes so much better when you've made it yourself.

meg73 - the picture is beautiful - thanks for that

Well, at last I have finished my June GC, and come in under budget This month I'm going to count my NSDs as well.
  • jumblejack
    A quick question for the jam makers amongst us - how does it compare cost wise to buying - eg can buy raspberry jam in Mr A for around 80p and Al*di for 90p (much nicer!).

AFAIK (which isn't a lot! but remember granny making jam when I was wee) you need mountains of sugar (which isn't cheap!).

I have a plentiful supply of blackberries (nearby woods) ..... feeling a bit sad now as lost loads when the freezer defrosted last week - so wondering if it's worth doing or not. TIA
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    This is precisely why I have only tried jam making last week. I felt the same. Why bother if it costs just as much cos sugar aint cheap.
    It does work out cheaper than shop bought though as pointed out. The satisfaction you gain is also priceless
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
    • spongy
    • By spongy 1st Jul 12, 9:31 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    spongy
    That’s it, count me in! Have been stalking this grocery challenge for a couple of weeks now andhave resolved to reduce my £300 monthly bill to £150. It’s just me and my two little angels (DD& DS) who live with me half the week so really like one adult and one childall week. There’s also a Monday-Friday lodgerdipping into the non-perishables and the BF who eats with us about once a week. Budget includes all toiletries but no booze.

Have already blown £94 on a big SM shop (delivered by Mr Tand cost reduced by use of Mysupermarket.com – thanks for the tips guys) buthoping this will last the whole month although reality is setting in that it's only day 1 and it's a 31 day month....
    Have a dinner party on the 15th (oh what to cook?) and mybirthday on the 26th.

Moneysaver meals tried this weekend – Homemade pizza went downbeautifully and salmon pasta. Delicious - even the fussy eater kids agreed.

BTW – if you use your pre-paid oyster card on a NSD doesthis mean you’ve spent money or not? Ifnot then today was a NSD!
    1 single mum, 1 DS, 1 DD.
    • Glitzer
    • By Glitzer 1st Jul 12, 9:54 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Glitzer
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]
    BTW – if you use your pre-paid oyster card on a NSD doesthis mean you’ve spent money or not? Ifnot then today was a NSD!
    Originally posted by spongy
    I read NSD as not spending money on your food (or whatever comes under you GC budget.
    • jasmin10
    • By jasmin10 1st Jul 12, 10:07 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    jasmin10
    In an ideal world, wouldn't it be nice if we could 'trade' our goodies for those of others!!! I'd love to trade for a pot of HM raspberry jam.
    Originally posted by jumblejack
    We have this in place with a neighbour. DH shoves things over the fence and every few weeks a carrier bag is left hanging over the fence with beer

Could have kicked myself today. Thought I would make some more hob nobs so that we could have a treat in. DH decided she wanted to help (eat). It turned out to be a stressfull baking session and then I realised just as I put them in the oven I had forgotten to put the flippin sugar in , Even with sugar sprinkled on the top they are just eurgh. anyhow DD is still troughing them as we dont tend to put sugar and thingson many things so her tastebuds arent as 'trained' as ours - at least she was happy. I was looking forward to that with a cuppa will have to wait now til shopping day on Wednesday as I dont have enough ingredients to make any more.

Also a question is anyone can help. DH eats tons of Tuna (even tho I have told him it is recommended that he should only eat a couple of tins a week), I'm talking 8+ tins. So far the cheapest I have found it for is 54p. Obviously with so many tins it works out quite a lot, even more if we were to buy bigger tins. Anyone seen them any cheaper?

Another Q, do they only reduced stuff in sm in the evening. I'm usually sorting the children out and not able to venture out into the big wide world after dark (ok exaggeration 4pm), do they ever reduce stuff during the morning/lunch etc.

p.s. re am making. when making jam in you are using a fruit that contains low pectin levels (i.e. wont set on it's own) add another fruit that adds it own high pectin levels, then you wont need to add any sugar. I cant wait for my plums and goosberries. I usually make Plum and apple, or goosberry and apple. Comes out scrumptiously (if thats a word lol)
    Last edited by jasmin10; 01-07-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added p.s
    2016 - Pinecone £36 Pureprofile £25.55 Vivatic £25.00 TopCashback £1742.63
    My Little World
    • spongy
    • By spongy 1st Jul 12, 10:48 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    spongy
    Thanks Glitzer, that must mean today was a NSD for me
    1 single mum, 1 DS, 1 DD.
    • jasmin10
    • By jasmin10 2nd Jul 12, 3:47 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    jasmin10
    Re, nsd. Everyone has different meanings.

For me my GC is all about my weekly food purchases, things for the children (formula, uniform, entertainment) come out of the child benefit money I get and keep withdraw it and keep in seperate purse. Anything else non food related or beer for dh still comes out of our current account but not included in the GC.

However for me to say I have had a NSD, means just that, I have not spent a penny no matter what budget or account it's come from
    2016 - Pinecone £36 Pureprofile £25.55 Vivatic £25.00 TopCashback £1742.63
    My Little World
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 2nd Jul 12, 7:17 AM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    I was in a$da on Friday evening, and there were 4 packs of raspberries rtc at 20p each. I used just under 1kg of sugar. So, that made my five pots (1 mayo sized, two jam sized, one mint sauce sized and two fish paste sized) cost about £1.60. If you allow for 80p per jar of jam-jar-sized jam (!), then I've got the extra ones for free, AND they're much superior tasting as they're hm!
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    And, the advantage of the raspberry jam, is that because there's no hulling, chopping, etc, it was done start to finish in just over 20 mins!!!
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    This is precisely why I have only tried jam making last week. I felt the same. Why bother if it costs just as much cos sugar aint cheap.
    It does work out cheaper than shop bought though as pointed out. The satisfaction you gain is also priceless
    Thanks - I might just give it a bash when this years' blackberries crop (hopefully it's a good one!).

I've never thought about making smaller batches TBH - I just remember Granny (and Mum too when I think about it) spending all day in the kitchen making jam (although it did tend to be plum so took ages to remove the stones I guess!) and then having jam with absolutely everything to try to get it all used up
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • FrugalinStrood
    Good morning. Please can I join in?
    I am setting myself a £200 budget for July.This will be our first proper month of getting really extremely frugal again. We are aiming to pay the mortgage off by the end of the year, so belts are being tightened.
    Proud to be debt and mortgage free Now working on paying off OH's mortgage by Jan 1st 2014
  • jumblejack
    Good morning all.

Dinner today will be bacon and eggs.
    Tea will be LO pasta with wilted sea beets (as I have some that were not used in the pasta) with a hefty slice of HM sun dried tomato bread with butter.

I will have to buy milk today but hopefully not much else.
    Hope everyone has another fab n frugaltastic day!!! :J
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • In_it_not_to_giveitaway
    Thanks for the pitta bread recipe savesummore.

I will have a go at that this evening with a Morse re-run on in the background.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a breadmaker - or is the consensus of opinion that there is more control over the process making bread manually (daily loaves that is)?

Much appreciated,

179/200

One NSD here.

Had a beautiful roast chicken dinner this evening and there is a huge amount of chicken left over! I reckon we should be able to make two pies for the three of us, plus with the leftover veg another two roast dinners for DS (he eats earlier than us usually as DH and I don't usually eat until DS goes to bed). I am trying persuade DH to make a stock with the carcas but he thinks it is too much of a faff and that you don't get much anyway.
    Originally posted by Glitzer
    To make stock from carcass we literally just shove carcass in pan with water and boil for about 30 to 40 minutes. I know there are more complicated ways of doing it but we don't bother and the stock tastes really 'chicken-y' - lovely .

We have this in place with a neighbour. DH shoves things over the fence and every few weeks a carrier bag is left hanging over the fence with beer

Could have kicked myself today. Thought I would make some more hob nobs so that we could have a treat in. DH decided she wanted to help (eat). It turned out to be a stressfull baking session and then I realised just as I put them in the oven I had forgotten to put the flippin sugar in , Even with sugar sprinkled on the top they are just eurgh. anyhow DD is still troughing them as we dont tend to put sugar and thingson many things so her tastebuds arent as 'trained' as ours - at least she was happy. I was looking forward to that with a cuppa will have to wait now til shopping day on Wednesday as I dont have enough ingredients to make any more.

Also a question is anyone can help. DH eats tons of Tuna (even tho I have told him it is recommended that he should only eat a couple of tins a week), I'm talking 8+ tins. So far the cheapest I have found it for is 54p. Obviously with so many tins it works out quite a lot, even more if we were to buy bigger tins. Anyone seen them any cheaper?

Another Q, do they only reduced stuff in sm in the evening. I'm usually sorting the children out and not able to venture out into the big wide world after dark (ok exaggeration 4pm), do they ever reduce stuff during the morning/lunch etc.

p.s. re am making. when making jam in you are using a fruit that contains low pectin levels (i.e. wont set on it's own) add another fruit that adds it own high pectin levels, then you wont need to add any sugar. I cant wait for my plums and goosberries. I usually make Plum and apple, or goosberry and apple. Comes out scrumptiously (if thats a word lol)
    Originally posted by jasmin10
    My local Sainsbugs reduces meat and chilled products (like pies etc) during the week at about 2.30pm - I don't know if this is a general policy. So I make a point of going in about 2.40pm to get the best bargains. I'm not sure when they reduce other things but at least that's a chunk less that I have to pay out of my GC budget.

Welcome to Newbies!

BTW Lid!'s baby wipes are 79p a pack just in case anyone wanted to know.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
    • Dipndo
    • By Dipndo 2nd Jul 12, 8:24 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    Dipndo
    Spent at Mr T last night,should have most of the basics in for the month now.Going to use up all the meat that has been lurking in my freezer doing nothing so hope to have a really low spend month!
    Bought a second hand bread maker for £15, think I spent the whole time it was on watching through the lid lol.
    Sept GC £200
    • DebtFree2012
    • By DebtFree2012 2nd Jul 12, 8:33 AM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 9,584 Thanks
    DebtFree2012
    Suffolk lass. Some great tips/reminders in your last post.
    I thi k I will do large batches of crumble mixes and freeze in portions. Good reminder about freezing fruits etc then popping together for quick puds.

Does anyone know a good (cheap) supplier for swing top bottles?
    I know Ikea do a cracking one for £2.50 for 1ltr bottles but I want maybe a dozen and it is a loooooooong drive to get there and back. Will doe d a fortune in petrol costs.

I really want to get into wine making. We dont drink a lot but do entertain and I would be thrilled to offer up my own produce to my guests.

Ps, Am I alone on here re: foraging or are there any others out there who can offer their sage advice????

I'm not sure whether there is a thread primarily for the subject and worry that I may be taking over the GC thread with my ramblings

I love your ramblings I too would love to forage but we are beginners and I can offer no advice If you start a separate thread for it I will follow and join in too - please post a link if you do and thanks for your work so far.
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • cllola
    Reporting a spend of 82p on some milk for breakfasts at work during the week. I am going to try and have 3 NSD's until Friday when we go camping in the Peak District....In the rain by the look of it!!!
    Pink Bump due 29th May 2014
    March G/C - £217.50/£200. April G/C - 180/£200. May G/C - £150/£200
    Debts to go - Next - £444. Halifax - £1,320. Barclaycard - £4,600. DFS £555.
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 2nd Jul 12, 8:56 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    Free food hunt results....

Pancakes with foraged wild rose petal jam made last week...
    I've never heard of rose-petal jam, do you have a recipe?

Foraging I have done low level foraging all of my life, even as a small child we used to go and get nuts from the woods, blackberries etc. My Mum used to make things like rosehip syrup which as a child I loved. I made some a few years ago and it was far too sweet for my taste now. We also got sloes for gin, elderflowers for elderflower champagne, elderberry jam. I'd got out of the way of doing it, since we have quite a few blackberries in our garden. But you have taken it to a whole new level. I'm really hoping I get that book for my birthday as you've got me quite excited about the idea of going foraging for all that free food. My mum is coming to stay next week I'm going to pick her brains about foraging.

Second purse I think the benefit of the second purse system is that you always have some money to take advantage of offers when you see them. Personally I'm struggling to live within my means at the moment and need to get spending under control before I consider moving on to more advanced techniques. I think I would probably just spend the money in the other purses when I was short at the end of the month at the moment.

£1 on milk in Iceland today so £8.54 now spent.10% spent, 10% into the month!
    Originally posted by lilian1977
    MrT have been selling 4pts of creamfields milk for £1 for some months now. They don't necessarily make it obvious on the shelves and last time I was in I had to actually ask where the semi skinned was, as I couldn't see it.

Breadmaker Does anyone out there use a BM for Glutin Free bread etc?
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge: week 1 ---------- target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500 ------------left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,926Users online

Martin's Twitter