Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 108
    • Byatt
    • By Byatt 15th Jan 12, 10:30 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 46,835 Thanks
    Byatt
    Can anyone tell me where the parsnip and parmesan muffins recipe is please?
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 15th Jan 12, 11:02 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Thankyou all for your condolences and virtual hugs. I'd like to send a big hug to Dobs also. I know what it is like to lose a much loved pet-it is also a family member!
    SIL has offered to take hubby for his chemo if funeral lands on his chemo day-she is an angel I hadn't even suggested any possible problem and she just offered. DD made meatloaf for dinner from minced pork so that was a cheapy dinner. Bless her, I came in from work yesterday and my tea was awaiting me plus some lovely banana bread. No chance I will lose any weight at that rate! I am thankful though that I have lovely people in my life. As they say, it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
    Stayed in all day today but had my Asda order tonight and very pleased with it-I got a lot for my money I think and it was free delivery.
    Particularly good was
    smartprice pasta @25p per pack, smartprice lasagne @39p smartprice curry sauce @17p smartprice golden savoury rice(dried)@27p 1.5 litres of orange juice for 62p-the same price as the 1 litre size!!' Mixed herbs 19p Fabric softener 1.47 litre @66p 750g mushrooms @ 1.35 and 6 cans ginger beer @ 1.25. I did treat mysyelf to their cheapest bottle of navy rum as I like a shot of that as a treat now and then-it will last a couple of months!
    The whole lot came to 62.66 after taking off a few non food items to add to my total. Until today, for the first 2 weeks of January my grocery spend was just 117. 05 Ive counted IN my rum(being good)and my monthly spend so far on food is: 179.71. I won't have room for anything for a week I suspect, whether I am tempted to spend or not! Approx 134 left to spend for the rest of the month but in effect it will only be for a week as I will either spend very little or nothing until next week now! Temptation has been removed due to lack of space in the cupboards,the fridges and the freezer. At least if it snows we have lots of food in-may not earn any money but we will be fed
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 15-01-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • aberdeensaver
    Morning All,

Well after another spend yesterday in M*S to try and get a beef joint as OH had vouchers he said I could use, the beef joint was double the price of the one I normally get in Asd* and was disgustingly fatty and just not good at all. I have told OH I will never go back there for beef again.

Got a couple of bits that had been YS but felt guilty about them as they were not on my list and therefore uneccessary. only other spend was two bottles of sparkling flavoured water that are my all time favourite and as OH had beer and wine all weekend I didnt feel too guilty about spending 0.69 on some water.

Visited MIL in hospital with a piece of home made cheesecake, glad to see the back of it (the cheesecake not the MIL) as have managed to put on 3lb this week!

HM Chicken coconut curry tonight, new recipe so will report back if any good.

9 days till OH gets paid and 11 till I get paid so hopefully we will come in on or under budget this month.
    Jan GC 242.38/250
    Feb GC 147.57 /240
    2012 Clothes Challenge 97.50/500
    Repay 5K in 2012 254.17/5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 16th Jan 12, 6:44 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Getting a new chest freezer today so that means less being able to find what I have crammed in the other freezer and more being able to pick up those offers when I see them and also loads more room for stock, soups and that portion of what we did not use from a meal that will make another meal another day (how long before I fill this one ).
    Good thing with the new freezer it has a very good electricity rating which means saving on food offer and saving on the cost of running the freezer.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • rachbc
    15.57 in aldi on bare essentials - bread, milk, cat food, bacon, cereal, fruit and veg etc then 7 in asda on bits can't get or don't like form alid - raw king prawns, yeo yoghurts, philly bought with a voucher and a few snacks for during Sherlock! Bought asda ham too - so much more expensive and not as nice as aldis
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • majjak
    Morning all

Should be another NSD here, plenty left in freezer and cupboards for about another week. May need milk and a bit of fruit but that should be it.

After much deliberation and after stuffing my face with chocs last night I've decided to go back to Weightwatchers. To cut a very long story short, I've struggled with my weight all my life, yo-yo dieted (tried them all !) lost 5 1/2 stone in total and have now put 2 of that back on - result of a holiday to Florida and becoming a bit of a glutton over xmas and new year.

WW is the only one that works for me and I do need that weekly weigh-in to keep me on track. So, tonight I will eat my tea and go and face the music !

I am, however, determined to do it on a budget and I know the new pro-points system is very much geared up for being able to cook and eat from scratch. So, a double-barrelled effort going on here - wish me luck !
    Save 12K challenge 2015 # 173
    0.00/10,000
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 16th Jan 12, 8:34 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...frosty here and wintery which i suppose is to be expected as it is winter...we are going to have roast chicken for tea and i might make a rice pudding ...we are going to costco to have a look at the bargains ...there are a few special offers i am interested in buying

budget is holing up ok at the moment but i might be on later saying im spent up...all costcos fault

take care on the slippy pavements
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • gailey
    • By gailey 16th Jan 12, 8:51 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Morning guys

frosty day here too.

well not planning on doing any shopping until tonight.

but confused what best time for reductions might be in morrisions and co-op?
    think might hit co-op first as know they reduce well then morrisions last.

got soem bargain bread and crisps in corner shop and spar last night.
    so easily have a month worth bread and rolls in freezer as all I seem to find.
    got months worth out date crisps 45packs for 4 and some family size bags!
    Sometimkes supporting local independants help0s as you build relationships and they kindly thourght of me.

Did do co-op late yesterday afternoon but

everyone was after a bargain
    hardly anything there but grabbed what I could
    only spent 15 and that included some offers.

spent 7spar
    6 corner shop

so need to update my sig to 96

really need meat still
    some frozen basics
    some storecupboard stuff.
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
  • rosieben
    More great recipe for the index

Ninno, I've listed your recipe as Apple and Orange Fruit Cake, hope that's ok

123budget, Celery Soup

Spiggle, Milk Jelly

totallybored, Cheese, tomato and pesto muffins

Thanks everyone

If you're listing a recipe its really helpful to include the title in the post, or in the heading as totallybored did (you need to be in 'Advanced' edit to do this). Makes it so much easier for people checking out these recipes in years to come
    Last edited by rosieben; 16-01-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 16th Jan 12, 8:51 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Reporting a NSD yesterday and I won't go to the supermarket today and hopefully tomorrow!

Using up the party food from Saturday - as usual I made too much so it should keep me going for lunches and dinners till at least Tuesday!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • ClaireT13
    • By ClaireT13 16th Jan 12, 9:06 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 3,462 Thanks
    ClaireT13
    Hi Everyone

Sorry, I haven't been managing to keep up with the thread for the last week or so as I went and franctured my wrist last weekend .

Anyway, just popping in to report a 4.32 spend this morning on bread, blackcurrant squash and bananas.

That gives me 90 until the end of the month. Hopefully it should be possible, I have lots of main meals so it will just be milk and packed lunches to pay for.

I'm just a bit disappointed because I set this budget thinking that for my first month I would set a realistic target and from there I would start stripping it back - but it does look like I will only just scrape in at 300

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Good luck everyone!

Claire
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 16th Jan 12, 9:25 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Two free cookbooks either online or delivered to you, fennel seed oatcakes about done as we speak (with added chili flakes, didn't have wholemeal flour so used all white and added about 20g of bran).

http://www.scotchbeefandlamb.com/buylocalrecipebooklet/

http://www.hgca.com/minisite_manager.output/4760/4760/Wholegrain%20Goodness/Wholegrain%20Goodness/FREE%20Recipe%20booklet%20(NEW).mspx?minisiteId=17
    • TylersMummy
    • By TylersMummy 16th Jan 12, 9:27 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    TylersMummy
    You're all doing great GCers

Went to get some things like cheese, loo roll, stuff for OH's lunch like fillings and crisps, some bleach, eggs, drinks, and fresh veg and spent 25 between Mr T and the C0-0p. Not bad. Adding that to my total and what we have left should be more than enough to last us until the end of the month - have a full freezer so can't actually afford to buy any more lol.

Home made burgers, onion rings and chips for tea tonight - all freezer dwelling items!

x

Mummy to 1. Devoted wife. Christmas addict! Life lover. Thrifter & Crafter. OU Student
    • Gorgeestwo
    • By Gorgeestwo 16th Jan 12, 9:42 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Gorgeestwo
    Good morning,

NSD today spent an unexpected 6.99 yesterday as my dad got me some of the toilet rolls in offer in Lidl
    Trying to decide whether to blow the budget and buy a massive bag of the cat's food, or buy a smaller bag, but in the long run the larger bag will save money, veering towards the first option I think, always knew this month would be touch and go anyway and If I'm in under 400 by the end of the months, I'll still be spending about half of what we have been spending a month

Hope everyone has a good day and hugs for everyone who's having a tough time and lost loved ones.
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 65.86/300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 16th Jan 12, 9:54 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    mummyjane
    Spent 1.25 yesterday on 4 pints of milk on the way home. Popped into Mr A this morning and bought 7 loaves of bread reduced, 8 pints of milk, dog food, cat food, toiletries for hospital on Friday, pancakes (reduced), bananas, 2 x 100ml toothpaste reduced to 40p each and a reduced flake for 25p lol

Total of 14.14 for all the above, have updated signature. Quietly confident that we'll come in under budget this month as very little needed before the end of the month.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
    • raphanius
    • By raphanius 16th Jan 12, 9:56 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    raphanius
    Can anyone tell me where the parsnip and parmesan muffins recipe is please?
    Originally posted by Byatt
    its on morries website
    Wins: 2008: 606.10 2009: 806.24 2010: 713.47 2011: 328.32

• medusasmummy
    • By medusasmummy 16th Jan 12, 10:07 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    medusasmummy
    Morning all BIG hugs to all who need them at the moment.

just been catching up with everyone. Definitely gonna be trying the recipe for those cheese and tomato muffins. havent got any cherry tomatoes in but do have some tomato pesto hopefully should produce a similar result.

i have been doing some shopping around, since thursday i've been to lid!, t3scos, ald!, 1celand, and sinsbury's. thought i was making great progress by buying enough of the things on offer to last the month for packed lunches but after totting up all the reciepts i've managed to spend 88.84. not feeling to great about it at the mo as it means we have approx 33 to last us til 3rd feb. on the plus side the with the exception of petrol tomorrow i shouldnt need to buy anything except bread until 31st jan. all our meals are planned until 7th feb, and we now have all the ingredients in to complete it.

(stands up) MY NAME IS MEDUSASMUMMY AND I AM A SPEND/SHOPAHOLIC!! I PLEDGE BEFORE ALL OF YOU LOVELY SUPPORTIVE PEOPLE NOT TO SPEND A SINGLE PENNY (except on petrol) UNTIL AT LEAST FRIDAY(when we'll probably run out of bread)
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 16th Jan 12, 10:20 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Thanks meadows, that recipe for fennel seed oatcakes looks lovely! Also looks like some other nice ones on that site, so it's a handy one to know.

Was hoping for a NSD here, still should be in grocery terms but just spent 45 at the vet on honky cat , hope he will be ok now. Of course, excess on the insurance policy is - yup, you guessed it - 50.
    Erratically money saving
    • Meadows
    • By Meadows 16th Jan 12, 10:25 AM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    Meadows
    Thanks meadows, that recipe for fennel seed oatcakes looks lovely! Also looks like some other nice ones on that site, so it's a handy one to know.
    Originally posted by carolinerunner

They take less than 15 mins start to finish, not sure how long they will last and how healty when loaded with brie but we won't worry about that

Hope your cat is okay x
    • esmer
    • By esmer 16th Jan 12, 10:27 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    esmer
    Morning All, its cold and frosty today.

My First week spend was 23.74.
    So far I have spent 15.68 I have a few things to get.

January so far is - 39.42
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,222Posts Today

4,289Users online

Martin's Twitter