PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great 'Best Christmas Recipes' Hunt

It's always the same, we want to dish up a fab Christmas meal but end up having the same menu as the previous year for lack of ideas.

So we're asking you MoneySavers what your best Christmas recipes are to make a dinner your family won't forget.

You can also share ideas in the Christmas Dinner Menu discussion.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Jessycat
    Jessycat Posts: 145 Forumite
    Free recipe in the current Asda magazine. I made it the other day and it's delicious, easy to make and doesn't need an excessive amount of different ingredients like some cheesecakes :o
    Debt free other than a mortgage but still always wanting to save money :j.

Busy saving for my wedding July 2014 :o.
  • Mummy81
    Mummy81 Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2009 at 11:29AM
    I recently made baileys and white chocolate fudge using this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/68602/baileys-and-white-chocolate-fudge

I was skeptical at first I've tried fudge before (it didn't go well ). The only thing I would add to the recipe is that you should add the chocolate whilst its still on the heat. On the fist attempt I'd already taken it off the heat and it started setting as soon as I put the chocolate in.

Also if you love chocolate try these:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4940/snowball-truffles

Both very easy and will be in my festive hampers for the family.
  • When roasing your potatoes (preferably in goose or duck fat) 10 minutes before they are cooked, sprinkle lightly with cornmeal (sometimes called polenta or maizemeal) to give a lovely golden colour and great crunch.
  • If you are having mashed potoatoes with your Christmas dinner, try adding ground nutmeg to them. Sounds unusual but they taste beautiful.
  • When boiling your brussel sprouts, crumble a chicken stock cube in the water - they taste lovely :D
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Instead of boiling carrots, just add a little water to the pan, a bit of sugar and a knob of butter. Cook until tender.

Also, roasted parsnips and sweet potatoes are lovely with freshly grated nutmeg.
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Mummy81 wrote: »
    I recently made baileys and white chocolate fudge using this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/68602/baileys-and-white-chocolate-fudge

I was skeptical at first I've tried fudge before (it didn't go well ). The only thing I would add to the recipe is that you should add the chocolate whilst its still on the heat. On the fist attempt I'd already taken it off the heat and it started setting as soon as I put the chocolate in.

Also if you love chocolate try these:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4940/snowball-truffles

Both very easy and will be in my festive hampers for the family.

I am definatly going to try that fudge receipe. i made baileys fudge the other week and it was vile!!!!!!!!!!!!! So will try this one as I really want to give it to a few people for xmas.

Thank you
  • JillS_2
    JillS_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2009 at 11:30AM
    Mushroom stuffing

Back in the days when I used to cook a turkey Xmas dinner with all the trimmings we always had at least 2 stuffings. One of them was always this mushroom stuffing.

8 oz mushrooms, chopped
    8 oz onions, chopped
    2 oz butter
    2 tbsps chopped parsley
    8 oz fresh white breadcrumbs (I've also made it with wholemeal b.crumbs)
    beaten egg
    salt & pepper

Gently fry onion & mushroom in butter to soften but not colour the onion. Add parsley & breadcrumbs & mix well. Moisten with some beaten egg. Season to taste.

edited to add:
    This makes a very large amount - it's nice in chicken as well as turkey but I only use 1/2 quantities for that.
  • JillS wrote: »
    Mushroom stuffing

Back in the days when I used to cook a turkey Xmas dinner with all the trimmings we always had at least 2 stuffings. One of them was always this mushroom stuffing.

8 oz mushrooms, chopped
    8 oz onions, chopped
    2 oz butter
    2 tbsps chopped parsley
    8 oz fresh white breadcrumbs (I've also made it with wholemeal b.crumbs)
    beaten egg
    salt & pepper

Gently fry onion & mushroom in butter to soften but not colour the onion. Add parsley & breadcrumbs & mix well. Moisten with some beaten egg. Season to taste.

edited to add:
    This makes a very large amount - it's nice in chicken as well as turkey but I only use 1/2 quantities for that.

This makes a nice change and seems easy to do, but due to allergy can the egg be substituted without spoiling it please?
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    This makes a nice change and seems easy to do, but due to allergy can the egg be substituted without spoiling it please?

The egg would just be used for binding the ingredients together. Personally I would just add a little water until the mixture comes together.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport