Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 19
  • ktpie
    Hello everyone! Am I too late to join in this month? We really need to get our spend down to 200 or less but for this month I am going to try 300 and hope we can keep under that. Have spent 110 so far but that should have stocked us up pretty well.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Aug 09, 7:50 PM
    • 10,675 Posts
    • 55,491 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The longer I spend on MSE the more links and threads I am looking at. I wont be able to get off of the computer if I am not careful!!!
    Watching Economy Gastronomy, and wish when there was 8 of us I had 130 to spend!! I adveraged less then 100!!!!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 5th Aug 09, 8:10 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    mooloo, have a look in the thread where we've been discussing the program, you can see fainted os'rs near the end when we saw what the next week's family spend!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 5th Aug 09, 8:14 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Here is the lemon curd cake recipe as promised. As mentioned before I took it from one of the recipe links somewhere on the site.

Lemon Curd Cake

100g margerine
    75g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    175g self raising flour
    1/2 - 1 jar of lemon curd

Preheat oven to 200c. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together for about 5 mins.

Pour in to tin and level top. Bake for about 40 mins until browned.

I put a whole jar of value lemon curd in and it was a bit too much, I would use less next time.

XS
    • elf06
    • By elf06 5th Aug 09, 8:42 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    ooooohh whilst I think, I "think" it was elf -or flat eric... well someone asked about the special fried rice -when I do it later I will make note of rough quantities(I normally just lob things in ) and then post the "recipe" on here for you -the main thing is to use cold rice..anyway -enough waffle -I will get off and get some x-stitch done -and pop back later whan I have the recipe...
    Hope everyone is well and having a good month
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER

Thanks MRSMCAWBER it was me that was asking. Would appreciate it if you would let me know. I love fried rice but can never get it right!!
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 5th Aug 09, 8:57 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 9,458 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    I've done my small shop for greens today, just 2.76 spent on Avocados, lettuce and cabbage. I shouldn't need to spend anything else this week as I still have plenty in the cupboards and freezer. So total spend as I move into week 2 of this month is 13.13.

Tinkerbellsmum, the Leftovers link rosieben gave is the thread I was referring to.

Rosieben, thank you for posting the Leftovers link. I still have my "L" plates on when it comes to links etc!
    Decluttering 392/2019
    Deleting old emails 9/2019
  • rosieben
    Here is the lemon curd cake recipe as promised. As mentioned before I took it from one of the recipe links somewhere on the site. ...
    Originally posted by XSpender
    XSpender - Lemon Curd Cake is in the recipe list on the front page of this thread (post #6)

oceanspirit (love your username btw) no probs
    Last edited by rosieben; 05-08-2009 at 9:44 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • kirstenc
    Hi guys, thought I would post to say that I still havent spent a penny since monday...very very proud of myself in that respect as normally I would have given up by now and bought lunch at work etc.

I shouldnt have to buy anything further until next week, so progress is good!
    Making burgers tonight, hoping to be able to freeze a couple for DS, quick meals for the him to have at weekends etc MEATBALLS tomorrow! This I am very excited about!
    Pay 15k by Xmas10 1478.19/15000
    24/07/09 present - loan - 8550 overdraft#1 - 2516.87 0 credit card - 1210 0
    TOTAL - 12276.87 9133.63
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • WelshWoofer
    Morning all!
    I was doing really well this week and using up fresh stuff, not spending any extra but I've forgotten to take something out of the freezer for tea.
    I've emailed OH to ask what he fancies as it'll involve a trip to the shops at lunchtime - let's see what he comes up with..... steak, caviar......

I'm thinking more along the lines of sausage and mash!

At least we're both away for the weekend (him - stag night, me - visiting mum after operation - hmmm, who gets the best deal) so we can recoup a bit then.

I'm determined to stick to budget this month - may be even come in a little bit under......
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • zoelikesjam
    • By zoelikesjam 6th Aug 09, 8:33 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    zoelikesjam
    Hey everyone, I have noooooooo idea how the challenge works! I did a shop last night, just waiting for it to arrive now, and for once i wrote out a whole week of meal plans.
    The shop came to 57 with D.charge, which i was quite pleased with, normal shop for us is a pile of junk food costing upwards of 80quid! However, because i've dowshifted a level and ordered stuff to make stews, soups etc so, in therory i should have loads left over to freeze for another weeks worth of meals. Wish me luck, I start cooking when it gets here!!!

August G challenge
    57/300
    Last edited by zoelikesjam; 06-08-2009 at 8:36 AM.
  • finnigan
    Hi, another newbie here.

Now that I've got my finances straight I've found I've got 400 per month left for the food shopping. There are 7 of us and or menu is complicated by various medical conditions but I'm hoping to spend 300 . (we used to spend upwards of 800 ). So far I've worked out a loose meal plan, I've sneaked a bag of lentils into this months budget ready for next months and my month, well, 4 week period, starts tomorrow as thats when hubby gets paid.

I've been spending a lot of time on the search function and trawling through the cooking collection on here so want to say thanks to all who post
  • Mrs. Irwin
    Morning! I went to the baker's for treats after DS jabs yesterday, we had nothing in so DH had to buy lunch and then he went to the supermarket after work. So we're are currently at 33.83/200. That did include ingredients for the birthday meal he's cooking me tomorrow, but I didn't count the wine.
    3/5 NSDs too.

I V+d the Economy Gastronomy programme, so I'll watch that later.
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: 1.75/200
    • rockie4
    • By rockie4 6th Aug 09, 9:33 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    Shopping so far has come to 93.89 but even OH has commented that we shouldn't need to shop for weeks

I've had a Tesco delivery for the heavy stuff and trawled Sainsbugs and Asda for whoopsies - I got 3 packs of Cauldron sausage last night for 75p each, fridge is full of veggies from the allotment (wot do we do with all these courgettes ) and OH still has loads of salmon in the freezer so we should be ok.

I really want to come in under budget this month, we've had a lot of extra expense lately and I'm feeling quite stressed with it all

*wanders off dreaming of a lottery win*

• elizabunny
    Morning All! Ihave just updated my signature after being away for a while. Still some money left in the budget -which is quite good for me The cupboards/freezer look reasonably full and I managed to bake a couple of extra meals this week to freeze, a fish pie and a toad-in-the-hole. Also bagged up 5 lots of garden veggies for the freezer, to help us through the winter. MrL is selling some really naughty but nice icecream this week for around 1 -and also SM pizzas if anyone hasn't already seen these. Also, their plums were really cheap around 29p per 400gm I think, so I have bought 4 packs of these to make some plum jam -I bought the preserving sugar when it was on offer earlier this year. The tomatoes in the garden are starting to ripen well and I think we'll have a glut of these, but I'm have loads of recipes for tomatoes so they should all be put to good use. I hope everyone is doing well with their budgets -must catch up on some previous posts now.
    Have a good day everyone!
    Last edited by elizabunny; 06-08-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • DizzyK
    Oh cripes.. Got Tesco shop last night (BIG - have mum's 60th this weekend and need to do cake baking and entertaining) - Went to Lidl this morning and got another 18 of bargains
    I have more people staying this month, I've just started doing Jamie at HOme parties and bribed lots of people with cake to have them, and it's all going a bit Pete Tong....

238.16 gone. 111.84 to go.

MUST focus.
    Then MUST get off bum and go do jobs instead of endelessly changing meal plans and reading MSE threads..

• elf06
    • By elf06 6th Aug 09, 10:33 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Hey everyone, I have noooooooo idea how the challenge works!
    Originally posted by zoelikesjam
    Hi, another newbie here.
    Originally posted by finnigan
    Hi guys - I havent been doing this for long either (last month was my first but the bit at the beginning (first few posts up to maybe number 6?) is really good and helped me a lot. I always mealplan and use that thread aswell to keep me on track but basically just set yourself a target, keep all receipts, look on here for help and a shoulder to cry on when it goes a little pear shaped and thats about it. It really helps you see where you can cut back etc!
    I use different budgets for different things like entertainment (which includes nights out which never happen, BBQs etc) but most other stuff comes into my grocery budget. Also take into account how many you are feeding. My GC is only for me, DS and cat but does include all toiletries, cleaning things, baby bits etc which some others have a seperate budget for.

HTH
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 6th Aug 09, 11:11 AM
    • 10,675 Posts
    • 55,491 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Still resisting spending. There is stuff in the freezer and cupboards. Just running out of the favourites. No rice is hard.! But have a huge bag of pasta and still have potatoes, (which are in the fridge),so as long as there is toothepaste and looroll, I will resist. I will resist!.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Aug 09, 11:48 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    (wot do we do with all these courgettes )

Originally posted by rockie4
    well funny you should ask....

try these or this

Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• rosieben
    .. wot do we do with all these courgettes ...
    Originally posted by rockie4
    there are a couple of courgette threads here and here
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 6th Aug 09, 12:09 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    We've tried the One Milk--currently a pound for 2 litres in MrT--& it's really quite creamy for a less-than-semi-skimmed milk. I'll definitely buy it again.
    We had vegetable stir fry & I chopped up some ham, grated cheese & they had it in tortilla wraps..first time I've tried it & will do it again. So two successes this week--me!
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,732Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter