TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sniggings wrote: »
    If I took a fancy to you, you turned me down, yet I kept knocking at your door and sending you letters, would you think it was so easy to dismiss that? All you have to do is put the letters in the bin and not answer the door.

Again, I can't help but think this is all academic. Do TVL continually call at your house? If they do, have you told them to get stuffed and not return? MBNA offer me credit cards almost every other week and my bank loans every month - does that constitute harassment? I suppose I should invoce them for wear and tear on my shredder ;)

I'll make this my last post on this subject - I think my presence is derailing the purpose of the thread which is to help people who don't want to pay the TVL for the legitimate reason they don't watch live telly.
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a TV licence at home.
    If I go to visit my friend/family who do not have a licence or watch live TV but only iPlayer, Can I watch live TV on my iPad in their house legally?
    Thanks.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes, as long as you are using your iPad with wifi and on its own batteries, you are fine to use it anywhere, covered by your home TV licence.

If you're at a legally licence free household, then you might want to take a copy of your licence with you.
  • Cinders2001
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you are using your iPad with wifi and on its own batteries, you are fine to use it anywhere, covered by your home TV licence.

If you're at a legally licence free household, then you might want to take a copy of your licence with you.

Thanks Cornucopia, Just to be clear, can I not use the household wifi? Does it have to be my own wifi?
    I understand about my own power source.
    Thank you.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    TVL website states
    Having a TV Licence means you can watch or record live TV using any device you like, including:
    • TV sets
    • Laptops and desktop computers
    • Tablets, mobile phones, satnavs and other portable devices
    • Digital boxes (PVRs), satellite and cable, e.g. Freeview, Freesat, Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, YouView, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
    • Games consoles
    • DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders
    There are a few devices listed above that can be powered solely by their own internal batteries, and your home TV Licence will usually cover you to use these to watch live TV away from home. However, if you plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch live TV away from home, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat). This is a legal regulation governing TV Licensing.

As far as I'm aware you can use the Wi-Fi being operated at the premises you're in. You wouldn't get your home Wi-Fi very far from home (my phone just about copes half way up the drive), so would have to use an alternative.
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Yes - I meant use (the house) wifi as opposed to an Ethernet cable connection. Basically, the device needs to be completely unconnected to the infrastructure of the premises.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Doesn't actually say on the TVL website you can't use Ethernet, just that it has to be powered by it's own batteries
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    It comes from the definition of "installed" in the legislation.

Best to observe all the details when dealing with TVL.
  • Cinders2001
    Thanks for helping. I think I'll take a photo of my licence so I've got it with me as suggested so if I do go Live
    ** Stay Safe **
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for helping. I think I'll take a photo of my licence so I've got it with me as suggested so if I do go Live

they are not the police, just tell them to do one.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback