From debt to freedom...

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Have you tried elder flower sorbet too?

You must be further south than I am - fruit here won't be read for a bit but it looks like being a good year.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That sounds really good, very refreshing I'd imagine...off to look up a recipe.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Money seems to be going out fast! My other dog has had a skin problem which I had to take him to see the vet. That has added an unexpected £166 to the budget. It's worth every penny to have him well and back to his usual bouncy self but another unexpected cost.

I've paid £14 to the cc on Sunday and paid £25 for an overnight camping trip for DD3, that she's doing with her school. The youngest DDs have a school trip that has cost £10. I could do with a NS week I think!!

DD1 and 2 have almost finished college and school respectively so I'm hoping that perhaps I'll get a little help with the evening food prep.

Thanks Cherryfudge for the sorbet suggestion. I found a recipe in a River Cottage cookbook, so hope to get that done at the weekend.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    I've had a busy two weeks at work. June is always one of the busiest times. DD1 has now finished college and DD2 has one exam to go. Her focus is very much on her school prom which is making me feel quite sick about the financial side. She isn't wildly extravagant, it's just that my budget is tight and I've wriggled lots in the last couple of months with the new tyres, vet fees and this week's unexpected septic tank bill ( thought it was due in October). Trying to squeeze the budget further to accommodate a dress is going to be hard. The ticket has been paid for last week and I have the transport cost next week...

I spent a couple of hours at the allotment last night, simply trying to catch up. Hacked down lots of weeds and watered everything that needed watering. The tomatoes are coming on well. Lots of gooseberries are ready to pick today. As I hacked down the weeds I discovered some sweet Williams flowering that must have self seeded from a couple of years ago. A nice surprise to find them! I need to now get the earth turned over and get rid of any roots so that I can get some lettuce and sweet corn in. I could happily spend hours every night there but work stuff needs doing so I have to enjoy the moments I can. Hopefully things at work should ease off a bit by July, then I can think about getting some kale planted and transplant some broccoli.

We have had quite an odd week food wise. Monday was vegeburgers from the freezer that I'd made a couple of months ago. Wednesday was pancakes, Thursday home made pizza which used up the ingredients bought for DD3's school cooking lesson and a Friday I did bacon/sausage/hash browns/egg mixed grill type meal. DS2 had a friend over so I thought I'd better do a bit more than our usual "something on toast " Friday fare. I have been trying to get a decent breakfast into those with exams so have tried bags of frozen fruit that you add to apple juice. It seems a good way to get some of the 5 a day and popular with some of the children. Only costs about 45p a portion so seems OK price wise.
  • Cherryfudge
    My daughter bought her Prom dress from Asos: looked gorgeous and was a good deal cheaper than some I've seen.

I've been gardening too, at Mum's old house. A nasty surprise was the re-emergence of the dreaded Japanese knotweed but work on it is still under guarantee so we're contacting the company to come and re-spray. A much nicer surprise - similar to your Sweet Williams - was the regeneration of what used to be a huge American Pillar rose. It's actually hard to see from ground level as it's made its way above some shrubbery and there is a big bunch of pink roses some 15 feet in the air!

I also found, among the many gardening books at the house, a pre-war children's gardening book by H E Bates which is quite charming and takes me into another world. It also mentions various plants I hadn't come across so if and when I make time, I have some looking up to do. Of course I should have read it in midwinter when things aren't growing at 90 miles an hour and wanting attention!

Your mention of fruit for examinees took me back to DS2 and his then girlfriend eating blueberries before exams as they are supposed to improve the blood supply to the brain. I must admit I've done the same when I felt in need of all my brain power!

• Thanks for the Asos idea Cherryfudge. Will look online. We have a second hand dress shop in our nearest town but the DDs checked on Tuesday and said they had seen nothing. We are very rural so not keen on traipsing round the county to still find nothing so will look online.
  • That sounds mean ...it's not that I don't want to help my DD sort out a dress, simply that I can't afford the diesal to drive any non-essential journeys.
  • Cherryfudge
    You aren't being mean - you're being practical. Online is a much bigger shopping centre than anywhere else.

Have you also seen everything5pounds? They have some pretty stuff and are worth checking for accessories, too.

• Honeysucklelou2
    Thanks for the link Cherryfudge. I've never heard of this shop but what a choice! Have had a little browse and will show DD2 later.
  • Another busy week at work and a delightfully busy weekend! I met up with wider family so 4 generations together. We had a great time just going for a walk, taking the children swimming and simply enjoying one another's company. Simple priceless pleasures. The fact that due to geography, it doesn't happen very often makes it all the more precious when it does.

The prom for DD2 happens on this coming week. I've had so many discussions and debates about dresses...ahhhh! Clothes shopping is not my strength so have been trying to be patient!

The week ahead needs to be a frugal one. I made gooseberry and elderflower fool last week for pudding, using elder flowers and gooseberries from the allotment. The jostaberries needed a little longer so hoping I can harvest some of those this week. The tomatoes are coming on nicely in the greenhouse but still need to clear some space for the broccoli seedlings that are getting a little large for the seeedtray! Got round to making the elderflower cordial and the sorbet. The sorbet was lovely and refreshing...so much so I only got one spoonful and the rest "disappeared" very quickly. Will have to make some more if I have any elderflowers left!

DD1 has had her student finance confirmed so that is one weight off my mind. Just got to wait for results day now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family