Full and final settlement help thread

Comments

• I would then wait and see what the other creditors offer before agreeing anything. Never stick with the first offer!
    Original Total: £34200.78 / Current Total: £24017.00 (July 2017) -29.88%!
    DMP started March 2014. DFD: November 2025
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    So it is safe to accept that they wouldnt pursue the debt further. Have you had any experience of refusing offer unless they make it F&F and having them agree.

Would obviously prefer F&F but if only difference is a poor credit record then thats not that important in the scheme of things I suppose.

I'm confused. They have agreed to accept your offer to settle by full & final settlement. The only point is whether you want to continue to negotiate to see if you can get them lower than 40/50%.

Are you saying that you want a 'settled' mark? It's very unlikely that they would give you that without you paying 100% or near that.

It is possible by error or design that they or someone else may try it on at some point in the future - that's why it is important to get a well worded letter from them and keep it for 6 years.
  • fatbelly wrote: »
    I'm confused. They have agreed to accept your offer to settle by full & final settlement. The only point is whether you want to continue to negotiate to see if you can get them lower than 40/50%.

Are you saying that you want a 'settled' mark? It's very unlikely that they would give you that without you paying 100% or near that.

It is possible by error or design that they or someone else may try it on at some point in the future - that's why it is important to get a well worded letter from them and keep it for 6 years.

My error. I thought Partial Settlement was totally different to Full and Final. Are there any template letters i can use to reply. Do I then agree but ask them to send a final letter before I send payment.
    31st December 2004 - Debt was £128,596.72
    1st October 2016 - Debt Free
    12 years of Stepchange + PPI +F&F
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4862915
  • A couple of years ago I owed just over £4000 on a virgin credit card, they wanted it cleared sooner rather than later and offered me the option of paying £1600 within the month to ensure the debt would be settled. Such a reduction I would have been foolish to ignore.

At the time I didn't realise this was possible but am now thinking of saving up my extra income from changing jobs and trying the same with my other debts in a few months time.
  • I had eight cards in my name and four in the wife's. Mine totalled £36k and hers was £17.6k. I settled hers for less than £6k and six of mine for 29.8% on average. I still have £5.8k with Halifax and £4.5k with Tesco neither of whom wanted to settle at that level. I currently pay both of them £1 a month. No interest or charges have been added in the last four years. However, I would like to clear them if I could otherwise they will get the full amount when I die, I would rather my kids have it. I have two questions...
    1. What is the lowest % figure anyone has settled at with Halifax and Tesco?
    2. Now the balance transfer deals are around again has anyone tried moving a settlement figure at a low % onto a new card? If so did it work?
  • My error. I thought Partial Settlement was totally different to Full and Final. Are there any template letters i can use to reply. Do I then agree but ask them to send a final letter before I send payment.

Ask them to send you a snail mail letter agreeing to your agreed payment being in full and final settlement and that no further payments will ever be required. They were all happy to do this for me.

When negotiating a settlement figure it is important to frame your offer in such a way as they believe this is the best they are ever going to get and then some cracking deals are possible. In my case they settled for just under 30%.
  • City1
    City1 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ImHappy wrote: »
    I had eight cards in my name and four in the wife's. Mine totalled £36k and hers was £17.6k. I settled hers for less than £6k and six of mine for 29.8% on average. I still have £5.8k with Halifax and £4.5k with Tesco neither of whom wanted to settle at that level. I currently pay both of them £1 a month. No interest or charges have been added in the last four years. However, I would like to clear them if I could otherwise they will get the full amount when I die, I would rather my kids have it. I have two questions...
    1. What is the lowest % figure anyone has settled at with Halifax and Tesco?
    2. Now the balance transfer deals are around again has anyone tried moving a settlement figure at a low % onto a new card? If so did it work?

Hi,

It sounds like you are doing well. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? On which credit cards did you get f and f deals with and were you always making token payments?

I ask the questions as we appear to be in similar situation, but at the moment we paying £1 to £40 per month depending on size of debt.

Also if we were going to start making token payments, would I just alter the so's and let my creditors of our intention to make token payments as our situation has changed.

Cheers
  • ImHappy wrote: »
    Ask them to send you a snail mail letter agreeing to your agreed payment being in full and final settlement and that no further payments will ever be required. They were all happy to do this for me.

When negotiating a settlement figure it is important to frame your offer in such a way as they believe this is the best they are ever going to get and then some cracking deals are possible. In my case they settled for just under 30%.

Are there any templates on how to word such a letter ?
    All advice welcome.
    Cheers
    31st December 2004 - Debt was £128,596.72
    1st October 2016 - Debt Free
    12 years of Stepchange + PPI +F&F
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4862915
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Are there any templates on how to word such a letter ?
    All advice welcome.
    Cheers

National Debtline do a good one :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/sole-letters/Pages/Full-and-final-settlement-offers-(sole-name).aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi wondered if anyone has managed to get moorcroft and wescot to agree to a reduced settlement?ive sent them both a letter today hoping they will agree to full and final settlement. offered £800 for a £3000 balance which i know is alot less but thought if dont ask dont get.any tips or info would be great
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback