DAS legal expenses cover - any experiences to share?

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually Halifax will probably only pay the tax on the policy DAS as with most legal expences carriers wont charge for the policy they will make there money on claims referrals to Solicitors.

I'm not sure how that would work. How would DAS get paid for referrals to solicitors, when DAS themselves are paying the solicitors? Wouldn't they just be getting back a % of the money they pay out?
  • StephenMarsh
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that would work. How would DAS get paid for referrals to solicitors, when DAS themselves are paying the solicitors? Wouldn't they just be getting back a % of the money they pay out?

DAS arent paying solicitors unless its an in house solicitor on the payroll. DAS will likely source out there claims to solicitors earning referral fees, the solicitor will then work for the own costs. This is why they only will work on cases with a 51% success rate.

DAS by the way then forward a proportion of the referal fee to Halifax and these are not small sums of money we are talking about.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I not had good experience nor have I heard of anyone with a good word to say about DAS, but I guess that is no surprise.

If you think you have a case you can still take it to a no win no fee solicitor.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • typerek9owner
    Options
    My experience with DAS is not a good one...

I had an accident in June and my case was passed on with them at the start they seemed very active... however this soon changed, and things have slowed right down with me having to ring them to find out what is happening as I am receiving no updates. They want my car to be inspected by engineers and what not however this takes time and i have not had my car for around three months!!!! which is hugely annoying as I work shift hours and there are no buses that run at six in the morning...

This has been very stressful for me and the accident wasn't even my fault!!! hugely unimpressed with das...
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    DAS only pay the solicitors if you lose the case or if it is only a small track claim (aka small claims court).

In the majority of cases the solicitors fees are added to the costs that the third party have to pay. With my current claim I am claiming circa £14,000 and the DAS appointed solicitor are estimating their costs will be £6,500 so the defendant would have to pay £20,500 if they lose the case.

For motor legal expenses protection it is certainly possible for insurers to actually be PAID to sell you legal expenses insurance by the LE provider (not saying DAS necessarily but certainly other providers do) such is the level of fees they generate. So the insurer gets your £20 plus £2 from the LE insurer.

For Home legal expenses things are different because there is the legal advice line and much more small track cases and so the LE insurers do actually charge the insurers for the product.

As to DAS's standards, have to say that I've received a single letter from them and thats it, the rest was dealt with via the panel solicitors and they've to date been fairly standard for the large farm
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The final outcome of my claim was successful - no thanks to DAS. The first firm of solicitors they appointed were absolutely hopeless, did very little, and achieved virtually nothing in months. It was a large firm with offices in Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Liverpool and Preston, but my case (despite being for several thousand pounds) was handled by a junior solicitor who seemed, frankly, out of her depth.

Eventually, after a great deal of difficulty, and a lot of unhelpfulness from DAS, they were persuaded to move the case to another firm. They settled it quickly and efficiently, but they were on a different 'panel' of solicitors, and the arrangements they had with DAS were probably different from the arrangements they had with the first firm.

There seems to be a two tier system in operation. Pay your own fees and get good service from your solicitors - but if DAS are involved your claim becomes second rate.
  • Buddy5
    Options
    This may not sound very positive but I am relieved to hear that I am not the only one who is furious with DAS. I only just attended court yesterday to 'HELP' them recover their costs for a hire car they gave me - even though the accident wasnt my fault, and a week prior to the court hearing the other guy finally admitted liability.
    There has been no communication, only the odd letter which do not appear to be send for a few days after they have been written. I have also had to contact them to find out any information - I have even been sent incorrect letters - which was admitted a Natasha Jones who works for them. Another person who works there - Ian Thomas is an extremely rude man! I was in tears after a conversation with him! No apology!
    Back to the court hearing - it was a complete mess - DAS hadnt even submitted my statement, no relevant documentation etc. It was embarrasing enough when they hadnt even told the barrister who was representing me that the other man had actually admitted liability. Its only that i am organised and keep every letter and ask for copies of letters that i was able to show the barrister the admission of liability!
    The Judge didnt award them their costs thankfully - as they did not deserve them! But my evidence did satisfy the court that i did need a hire car. It would have taught them a lesson not to recover the costs - as we would not have lost a penny. In fourty years of Insurance with the NFU - not once has there been an issue in having a hire car/vehicle - I could not believe that we were called to court to prove that we needed one when it is part of our policy. I think this should be made more clear to people. It was a terrible experience and I dont feel anyone should have to go through it especially when liability had been admitted by the other side. Even the Judge kept saying this could have been sorted out of court! At the end he detailed what an 'appaling' state this case was. Following the court case i phoned DAS and they asked how it went, when i told them how the barrister didnt even know that the other side had admitted liability they informed me they had told her!!!! That was that Ian Thomas again!!! Natasha Jones wasnt even available for me to talk to the morning of the case - as i was very nervous and they were well aware of this.
    I am so angry as to why a company like the NFU should use these people who are quite clearly unable to their jobs, lie and waste the precious courts time.
    I now have no confidence in them or the solicitor i have been allocated. I wish i had not been available to help them to recover their costs as it was so embarrasing having representation who did quite clearly not have a clue what was going on! Not the barristers fault - but the failings of that company - DAS Legal.

I would appreciate any feedback if you have had similar dealings with this company. I am not quite sure how to take this matter further - all suggestions appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    They had to go to court over the hire car (not the liability issue, so that is a red herring)

The third party insurers must have refused to pay the hire charges, and the only way to force them to was by proceeding to a hearing.

Talk to NFU about why you want a different solicitor, and take things from their response.
  • go_jo
    go_jo Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 May 2013 at 3:33PM
    Options
    :mad: DAS helpline was disregarded by both Judge and Company lawyer. Finally advised by counsel they had given bad advice.

Seems DAS helpline give out arbitrary legal advice where we have no particular recourse to them. Consequently this has cost my wife a job and substantial private solicitor fees to take her employer to tribunal.

Seems like you pay £20 plus per annum for legal cover and that sums up what you get about £20 worth of advice.

My advice keep your money in an ISA for a rainy day and don't bother with insurance legal cover all seems a big questionable legal white elephant.

Nearly forgot! when I asked DAS loss adjusters what their legal knowledge and qualifications were the answer was! you guessed it "None"
  • tasticz
    tasticz Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2013 at 11:43AM
    Options
    thanks for the thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income