Christmas for One?

Finding affordable solo holidays is hard enough, but this Christmas I'll be on my own as my mum has passed away.

I'd like to spend this Christmas somewhere away from home, preferably warm, but either all the prices are through the roof or everything's already booked up.

Does anyone have any hints, tips, websites, etc. that I can look at?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 July 2017 at 11:40AM
    Where in the Uk are you?

How long were you thinking of going for?

What sort of holiday? Coastal, countryside or city?

How long a flight?

What sort of budget?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • atprice
    atprice Posts: 52 Forumite
    Hi Richard

I'm in Manchester. I just want a short break, up to 5 days. Think I'd like it to be a beach holiday or somewhere with not too much hustle and bustle. Not worried about the length of the flight :-)
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    It's always been expensive at Christmas to go away to nice warm destination......canary islands would be my choice
  • atprice
    Canary Islands was what I looked at first, but again what I've found is expensive. I'm guessing there are cheaper options and I'm just looking in the wrong place.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    atprice wrote: »
    .... what I've found is expensive....

How £much is expensive?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • atprice
    Anything over £600 - have to be strict with myself!
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Anything over £600 - have to be strict with myself!

Problem is canary islands is best choice and also expensive at Xmas have you tried all the budget airlines
    What dates and airport are looking at....if you post them on here you might get more options you'd not thought of
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Five days?? Seems hardly worth going. Coming back for New Year doesn't sound ideal if you want to get away.
    The longer the flight, the less adequate five days will seem. Travel light and move out of your comfort zone. :)

Nothing is booked up. The are myriad possibilities
  • atprice
    I'm looking to leave from Manchester (or Liverpool at a push). Leaving on 22nd or 23rd and coming back around the 26th/27th.

5 days is perfect for me. I like my own company but not for too long! Plus I have animals to get back to and the longer I'm away, the more I have to pay the pet sitter...
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    I'm looking to leave from Manchester (or Liverpool at a push). Leaving on 22nd or 23rd and coming back around the 26th/27th.

5 days is perfect for me. I like my own company but not for too long! Plus I have animals to get back to and the longer I'm away, the more I have to pay the pet sitter...

Understood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport