Life begins again at 45

Bubblesmum
Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 28 July 2014 at 10:28AM in Debt free diaries
This is the 28th Monday I have been off sick due to my disability.

Rather than totally focusing on my ill health. :eek:

I wanted to begin to focus on positive things, to be proactive and regain some control in my life......... One area to do this is focusing on our budget and debt, especially as SSP is about a quarter of my salary.

I know that this year is going to be a turning point :o. I am determined that this will be life affirming.

I do count myself very privileged my OH and I live in a beautiful bungalow, over looking a water meadow near the Thames (was a little scary this year, when we became Noah's Ark, when the area flooded).

We have two cats , nice cars, the ability to go on holiday, heat andhave yummy food in our tummies.

However we have a reasonable amount of debt built up from making improvements on our home and escaping life for R & R.

We are also both disabled and so we do have many additional costs along the way, if we want to live life in a healthy way. We both qualify for DLA but we may loose this under PIP despite having life time awards due to CP (me) and triple amputee (OH).

Neither of us have worn our disabilities as who we are, we both have worked full time, in good jobs thanks to our parents refusing special schools in the 1970's and us getting fantastic academic educations.

Now my disability is impacting my health and I worry about our debt, and how I am going to be able to financially contribute to our lifestyle in the future.

So, this diary is about debt busting and exploring how I can creatively improve my income from home. (Going out to work is going to be severely restricted going forward).

Look forward to sharing my world to others .....
As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest

Comments

• Bubblesmum
    Forumite
    With a cheeky, Gin and bitter lemon in my hand..... Well, I needed to use up the bitter lemon and it is my Dads birthday.......

Taking stock for the day.......

I had to admit to OH the reason I didn't get paid SSP this month was I forgot to send my Fitness to Work note in time:mad::mad::eek::eek:. Sent it now so will have a double amount next month...... It's not alt but helps with the extra costs we are incurring at the mo ( weekly sports massage)

Did have a little bit of good news that some ancient expenses have been paid princely sum of £30.60. But need to track the £150 of car parking which hasn't been:(

Ph@t@b@x was my friend today ordered some prints for presents. £3.95. Part of me fed up with the cost of postage but mitigated by not having the physical demands of going shopping....

Th plus side of having more energy was we jointly cooked tea, a rare occurrence for me..... Was really disappointed with my puff pastry (ready made) tart case ..... Was raw and didn't rise, despite following instructions. Help where did I go wrong? The contents were yummy an adaptation of a Gary Rhodes recipe. Chicken in a creamy sauce with potatoes, mushrooms and green beans. OH made courgette fritters from our homegrown courgettes they of course were a great success.

Been addicted to MSE threads today..... Especially the stash busting......going to join the challenge tomorrow and also start listing on Etsey..... That will please OH although I'm not sure if he does realise how much I've got :)

Now retiring for the night to finish Peter Kay Saturday Night Peter..... Another challenge for me, reducing my unread pile..... But I don't think this one will sell on Greenmetropolis; too many circulating I fear.

Night all........ Thanks for reading
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    :beer: cheers Bm!
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good luck with your journey.
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,812
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    OOh shiny new diary :)
    I am a fellow CP peep and understand your concerns on ill health & PIP.
    Look forward to following you.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Bubblesmum
    Forumite
    beanielou wrote: »
    OOh shiny new diary :)
    I am a fellow CP peep and understand your concerns on ill health & PIP.
    Look forward to following you.
    Thank you so much.... Reading this means a lot this morning see next post x
    Fake it, to you Make It

• Bubblesmum
    Forumite
    chevalier wrote: »
    Good luck with your journey.
    Thank you, really appreciate this.
    Fake it, to you Make It

• Bubblesmum
    Forumite
    Failed to post yesterday, as the beginning was frantic, middle well I was zzzzz and by the evening I was feeling very sorry for myself :(.

Frantic was good - An OT friend wanted to come and video me and hubbie for an educational video for her OT and Physio students. I am very much a campaigner through education so was happy to oblige but this brought up the extra cost of disability and my limitations.

Middle ...... Well the morning wore me out and it was sat on the sofa watching Lewis, in a glazed state, churning out granny squares ..... So a bit of de - stashing along the way :T

However, I made the ill advised mistake of replying to an email sent by my nemesis, that caused heartache later in the day.

End, a big mixture, of itch eyes... No antihistamine anywhere in the house ..... The reality that if I want to do something different on my birthday which I physically can do.... It will cost dosh.... And I want to be decreasing not increasing our debt.

I've always marked my birthday, in a way rewarding myself for getting through another year...... It's not helped that I feel so housebound as late.

I also am very aware today is the 15th Anniversary of anniversary of loosing my Mum. although I think this year more than ever I have missed her words of wisdom, and those Mummy treats that would cheer you up, she would only be 75. #losttoosoon.

Right, she would say, good nights sleep, brush yourself down, onwards and upwards i:heart::heart:
    Fake it, to you Make It

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hello Bubblesmum,

Thank you for sharing your diary.

I love Lewis (as I did Morse). I was brought up just outside Oxford so it often reminds me of my youth! I'm rather partial to a nice gin too!

I look forward to following your story, and I do hope that things go your way soon!

- David.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Bubblesmum
    Forumite
    Hello Bubblesmum,

Thank you for sharing your diary.

I love Lewis (as I did Morse). I was brought up just outside Oxford so it often reminds me of my youth! I'm rather partial to a nice gin too!

I look forward to following your story, and I do hope that things go your way soon!

- David.
    Thank you for appreciating it. As a mental health occupational therapist I often sign posted clients to your organisation which has some great resources.

I love Oxford, and spent some happy times there with a previous OH. I am addicted to Endeavour and most especially Morse. I loved John Thaw.

I bounce back... This is a great resource to share my daily doings and have contact with the outside world.

I look forward to your thoughts..
    Fake it, to you Make It

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Bubblesmum wrote: »
    Thank you for appreciating it. As a mental health occupational therapist I often sign posted clients to your organisation which has some great resources.

Thank you, the information team work so hard to make all the guides and fact sheets. They are really passionate about them.
    I love Oxford, and spent some happy times there with a previous OH. I am addicted to Endeavour and most especially Morse. I loved John Thaw.

He was a great actor. I met him randomly in Jericho. Well I say 'met' but in reality I became all star struck, clammed up and just pointed enthusiastically.
    I bounce back... This is a great resource to share my daily doings and have contact with the outside world.

It's great. I find it very empowering, especially when people say good things about our charity :)

David.

I look forward to your thoughts..[/QUOTE]
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure