Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• davemidd
    davemidd Posts: 82 Forumite
    Just switched E.ON tariffs once again before my previous tariff expired (and so no early leaving charges) and saved another 10%. Never had any problems with this company. Meter readings are quick and easy to submit using the mobile app and the account is updated quickly. Direct debits are easily managed too & I've never had any problems with surplus credit or debts building up.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CeeJay80 wrote: »
    We changed in the September 15 deal and so far, Eon have been awful. We're on a quarterly pay on receipt of bill agreement (it's not the cheapest but it's how we prefer to manage our finances). We supplied readings for a bill in November (which was paid) then had a visit from a meter reader on 31st Dec. The meter reader made a complete hash of entering our readings (took him several attempts) but said that everything was fine.

A few days later, we received and email from Eon saying that our readings didn't tally and we needed to get in touch. Cue the first of MANY long phone calls (up to 45 mins on hold). When I eventually spoke to someone they said that there was some confusion over the Daytime and Economy 7 readings - the ones taken on 31st Dec didn't tally with mine taken in Nov. I was told to take readings over the next couple of hours before Economy seven kicked in and a couple afterwards, so that they could confirm that we were supplying the correct details (this despite me telling them that the meter reader was clearly the one at fault. Eon said they'd call back the following evening but didn't. I rang the next day (4th Jan, 30 mins on hold) and gave the customer service assistant my meter readings. She said that everything was fine and I need not do anything else.

Last week, Eon emailed again, saying that I needed to get in touch about my account and followed up with another email notifying me of a bill for £40. Again, I rang them (25 mins on hold) and was told that the meter readings that I supplied on the 4th hadn't been entered onto my account! This time they took the readings, assured me everything was fine now and transferred me to the complaints department who asked me not to go to the ombudsman and offered a cheque for £30 as compensation for all of the hassle and phone calls.

Today, I've received yet another email from Eon, notifying me of a bill for £160. I'm yet to try calling but I expect a long wait time and inept service yet again. I'm going to refuse to pay the bill on principle - I settled the last (accurate) bill in full and we're not due another until February. Surely they can't just bill us when they feel like it if we've signed a contract for quarterly bills?

I've never had so much trouble with a supplier (I'd tell anyone I know to avoid Eon at all costs) and intend to change as soon as possible but won't pay the £30 exit fees.

Hi CeeJay80

I'm really sorry you've had this problem and that you've had to wait on the phone for so long. I suspect it's down to what we call transposed readings. With multi rate meters like Economy 7, this is where the day and night readings have been entered the wrong way round. It's why we'll have asked you take readings at different times. This is to make sure the readings are entered correctly as day and night.

Totally appreciate you're on quarterly billing and the bill of £40 may have been this. It would've been followed, though, by an amended bill (£160) to put things right once we realised the readings had been entered the wrong way round. For peace of mind, I'd make sure the billing now matches the day and night readings you took.

Also, for quarterly billed customers who have recently joined us, the first couple of bills may not be an exact quarter. This is because billing follows the meter reading schedule set for individual properties by the Meter Operator. Your account may have started on a date different to the meter reading cycle. If this is the case, the first bill will follow the cycle so may not be exactly 3 months after you joined. Once this blip is out of the way, billing will be at 3 monthly intervals except for any amendments that may be needed like the one above.

Don't know if you're aware but there's an online tool for customers who have registered with our website to help them keep on top of bills. It's called 'Real Time Billing.' If you pop in readings, you'll have the option of either seeing the balance that would result or actually creating a bill.

Sorry again for all the problems you've had CeeJay80 and if some of my speculation is off beam but hope it goes some way to explaining.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    davemidd wrote: »
    Just switched E.ON tariffs once again before my previous tariff expired (and so no early leaving charges) and saved another 10%. Never had any problems with this company. Meter readings are quick and easy to submit using the mobile app and the account is updated quickly. Direct debits are easily managed too & I've never had any problems with surplus credit or debts building up.

Hi davemidd

Glad things are going okay and thank you for posting about this. Just to let you know, there are no exit fees for changing from one E.ON tariff to another. They apply if changing supplier and then only before the renewal window (open 49 calendar days before the tariff ends until 20 days after).

It's good you're on top of the payments with little surpluses. Don't know if you're aware but, to help with this, we've an online tool for customers registered with our website. It's the 'Direct Debit Manager' and gives more control over arrangements including being able to change the monthly payments. Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

With Monthly Direct Debits, the aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. At this review, any credit over a fiver is automatically refunded; whilst a debit is included in the payment arrangement and spread out up to the next review.

Thanks again for the kind words davemidd. They're appreciated. Glad you like the App too and hope the other stuff I've mentioned is of interest.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Malc,
    I'm newish to E.On (Uswitch fixed collective 1 Oct 15), having only paid one DD so far in January (switched to E.On 24/11/15). I looked at my E.On account online a while ago and there was a pop up which asked for meter readings on or before 9 March (the billing date). The electricity memter was read by a reader on 7/12/15 and shows on the site and it shows a reading for 24/11/15 (mine apparently, except it wasn't as I was asked for readings several days before). ANyway what I wanted to ask...is there any point in giving readings before 9 March (like now) or do you only really need them just before 9 March?

Thanks
  • Delete33
    Delete33 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just switched my electricity to Eon, with greenstarenergy at the moment £1000 in credit before my winter bill.
    Hi Malc,
    I'm newish to E.On (Uswitch fixed collective 1 Oct 15), having only paid one DD so far in January (switched to E.On 24/11/15). I looked at my E.On account online a while ago and there was a pop up which asked for meter readings on or before 9 March (the billing date). The electricity memter was read by a reader on 7/12/15 and shows on the site and it shows a reading for 24/11/15 (mine apparently, except it wasn't as I was asked for readings several days before). ANyway what I wanted to ask...is there any point in giving readings before 9 March (like now) or do you only really need them just before 9 March?

Thanks

Morning savetilibleed

It's up to you really. Some customers like to give us meter readings on a fairly regular basis. Some send them monthly, even weekly. It's certainly a great way to make sure the account is accurate. The most crucial ones, though, are the readings used for billing.

We use what we call a 'billing window.' For quarterly billed customers, this is open 14 days either side of the bill date. The first set of readings received during this period, from either you or a meter reader, will result in a bill. Any further readings received whilst the window is open or readings received outside of the window will be recorded but not used for billing.

As your bill date is 9 March, your billing window will be open for 14 days either side of this. Provided you let us have readings during the window, we'll issue an accurate bill. If we don't receive readings during the window, we'll send an estimated bill.

Some customers, though, like more frequent bills and we've an online tool to help. This is 'Real Time Billing.' Customers who've registered with our website and enter readings are given the option of seeing the balance that would result or actually creating a bill. This option isn't there if inside the billing window and where we're waiting for readings.

Hope this explains savetilibleed. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Delete33 wrote: »
    Just switched my electricity to Eon, with greenstarenergy at the moment £1000 in credit before my winter bill.

Welcome to E.ON Delete33. Good to have you on board. Thought I'd pop on with a bit of information about what happens when a supply changes.

It's our responsibility to let your old supplier have the meter readings we'll use to start your account. The old supplier will use the same readings to close their account and issue your final bill. This is to stop the same electricity from being charged twice. It's important to make sure our opening readings and the old supplier's closing readings match.

If you've registered with our website, you can keep an eye on what's happening through the 'Track My Switch' tool.

Hope this is of interest Delete33. Let me know if I can help further as happy to do so.

Malc
  • Delete33
    Delete33 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cheers Malc
    I will go on line and register on your website, Thank you for the Info.
    You're welcome Delete33. Glad to help.

Registering with our website is fairly quick but, as your account isn't fully live yet, there'll be certain things you won't be able to see or do. Don't worry, once live, you'll have full access. You will, though, be able to use the 'Track My Switch' tool I mentioned earlier as soon as you've registered.

Malc

• As your bill date is 9 March, your billing window will be open for 14 days either side of this. Provided you let us have readings during the window, we'll issue an accurate bill. If we don't receive readings during the window, we'll send an estimated bill.
    As bills are issued quarterly, as if we were actually paying quarterly as we used to with EDF and BG, is this for information only? Or can this be used to change our DD if necessary, or is that sort of change only by mutual agreement? We would definately like to see how it compares to a similar quarter last year anyway in terms of comsumption. It won't compare accurately as the billing period will be different (I think).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback