Induction hob over built under ovens - not enough space?

Options
Hope someone has some bright ideas. We are having a new kitchen fitted and have a 900mm wide induction hob going over two built under ovens (all Neff). Kitchen has arrived and I have measured the void in the oven housing units at 595mm - blurb from kitchen company says all standard ovens are this size - they seem to be. However, Neff state a min. size of unit of 600mm (so already 5mm short) and when I work out depth of hob, thickness of quartz (30mm) and where the oven will come to I am 8mm short (need a 5mm air gap between bottom of hob and top of oven). The oven housings have drawers built under the bottom shelf and I could get our fitter to butcher the unit, move the shelf that will support the oven down by 8mm and lose the lovely draws in the process. The other alternative is to pack out the worktop (using 9mm ply) to gain my 8mm there, but this leaves a weird gap under the quartz and I'm not sure what this would look like in reality. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Isufi
    Isufi Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

Im having this problem now.
    Did you find a resolution?
    Hope you can help!!!55357;!!!56911;!!!55356;!!!57341;

Thanks
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When I did my kitchen just before Christmas, I didn't know exactly what oven/hob I was going to fit. When I eventually sourced the oven and hob, the base of the housing unit was adjusted to suit. Still have a very shallow drawer under the oven (door & drawer fronts were custom made to size). Not that it is much use except for a couple of baking trays.

If I was to do the kitchen again, I'd probably forgo the under-oven draw and just use a filler strip. May be drop the oven a bit more and improve the ventilation under the hob.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

The simplest thing would be to have 40mm thick worktops. With quartz this would be achieved by have 20 mm thick material and then a downstand on the front edge to make it look 40mm thick.

Ask your worktop company if they can do a downstand on the front edge for you.

CK
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    CK - still don't think this would help as you'd still only have 20mm across the top of the carcasses - unless the quartz would have an 18mm backer to it?

Most ovens have clearance at the top of the actual working bit (that you don't see inside the cupboard) which normally allow clearance for gas pipes etc.

I would suggest that you get technical dimensions and it'll probably prove that you have sufficient room anyway...

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • lg13mza
    lg13mza Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had this problem. We could have had a return on the quartz and pack the worktop up with whatever sheet thickness. It was going to be expensive and create delays to alter the worktop though. So in the end I packed the worktop up the same but used a kickerboard on its side on the front edge so it matched the cupboards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure