Questions about PIP

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Please don't send it tomorrow. Phone and ask for a 14 day extension. It's not a big deal, it's automatic.

If you send the form off she won't get an award and as Alice says an appeal won't work either.

She needs to explain why she meets the descriptors, not what her problems are.

What experience do you have to know that you've 'helped to word it correctly'? As I've said above, DWP terminology is specific, and it's different to 'normal' usage.

From what you've said here, you're about to send off a PIP application form that says 'I don't qualify for PIP'.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 May 2018 at 8:05PM
    She hasn't asked for extra time and the form will be posted (with proof of posting) first thing tomorrow.

We thought it better to post the form on without it than not send it at all.

It would be much better to request the extra 14 days, and ensure the form gets her to the points necessary for an award.(As Ames has said above).

Having seen the PIP assessment guide on activity 7 - does she still think this applies?
    Has she removed the reference to 40% for descriptor 9?

For some people preparing food and nutrition can be difficult - is she very choosy with food and eating, does she have a sequence or routine that if disturbed, means that she can't do these activities reliably and in a reasonable time period?

For some people washing or showering can also be difficult - does this apply?.

What does the GP report say?

You have given us very little info to help you with her PIP form, but going on your OP her PIP form will fail.
    There must be more if she has a psychiatrist's report.
    It seems pointless to me to post a PIP form based only on activity 7 50% of the time, & activity 9 40% of the time. Equally, appealing on just those grounds will be difficult for her.

You have come on this forum to ask advice, I'm sorry but it seems silly to ignore the advice given especially as she hasn't had help with the form from an advice agency / CAB.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    She hasn't asked for extra time and the form will be posted (with proof of posting) first thing tomorrow.

Unfortunately she cannot find the assessment from the Ed Psych. She is going to look for it again and send it on when she has found it. We thought it better to post the form on without it than not send it at all. Her GP has filled in some documentation that he was sent.
    I totally agree with Alice and Ames here about asking for those extra 14 days. You've had some great advice in all of the posts too and i really do advise you that this form not be sent until it's filled in correctly and with the evidence to prove the descriptors apply too.

Sending those forms without the evidence won't help the PIP award either because sending the evidence after the forms have been sent may mean that they won't use the evidence. They also don't always accept any evidence from claimants during the assessment. They refused to take my daughters extra evidence at her assessment. I've heard many people say the same.

Why are you in so much of a rush to send them when you can quite easily ring DWP for that extension?
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It's not up to me to ask for the extension. I will mention it to her tomorrow and see what she says.

I do appreciate what you have all said.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Rather than just mentioning it, please could you explain to her what we've said? Print the thread out if possible. Show her the links Alice Holt posted.

This really is her only chance to get it right.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Ames wrote: »
    Rather than just mentioning it, please could you explain to her what we've said? Print the thread out if possible. Show her the links Alice Holt posted.

This really is her only chance to get it right.

Yes I will do that.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    It would be much better to request the extra 14 days, and ensure the form gets her to the points necessary for an award.(As Ames has said above).

Having seen the PIP assessment guide on activity 7 - does she still think this applies?
    Has she removed the reference to 40% for descriptor 9? Yes

For some people preparing food and nutrition can be difficult - is she very choosy with food and eating, does she have a sequence or routine that if disturbed, means that she can't do these activities reliably and in a reasonable time period? She does not have a problem with this. It is mainly communication.

For some people washing or showering can also be difficult - does this apply?. No

What does the GP report say? I don't know, apparently it was a questionnaire and the surgery told her he had sent it off.

You have given us very little info to help you with her PIP form, but going on your OP her PIP form will fail.
    There must be more if she has a psychiatrist's report. She has an Ed Psych report which is her diagnosis, and it details her difficulties. She sent it in last time for her DLA. I also helped her fill that form in.
    It seems pointless to me to post a PIP form based only on activity 7 50% of the time, & activity 9 40% of the time. Equally, appealing on just those grounds will be difficult for her.

You have come on this forum to ask advice, I'm sorry but it seems silly to ignore the advice given especially as she hasn't had help with the form from an advice agency / CAB. AFAIK there is no-one who can help her.

See my comments in blue above.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What questionnaire? As they haven't yet returned the PIP forms then the GP wouldn't have been sent anything to fill out yet. It's very rare that they contact anyone for evidence, the onus is on the claimant to make sure it's sent in with the form. Are you thinking about a form that was sent for a past DLA claim?

You say the evidence was sent with the DLA form? This is now a PIP application and evidence must be sent to support the claim.

You also say it's mainly communication problems. If this is correct then they may find it very difficult to be awarded anything at all.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You've had excellent advice - especially from Alice who really knows what she is talking about. Please do ask her to seek an extension.

You say there is no-one to help her. Can you find out who she has tried - and, at least ring her local CAB/advice centre to see what they can do.
  • seven-day-weekend
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    What questionnaire? As they haven't yet returned the PIP forms then the GP wouldn't have been sent anything to fill out yet. It's very rare that they contact anyone for evidence, the onus is on the claimant to make sure it's sent in with the form. Are you thinking about a form that was sent for a past DLA claim?

You say the evidence was sent with the DLA form? This is now a PIP application and evidence must be sent to support the claim.

You also say it's mainly communication problems. If this is correct then they may find it very difficult to be awarded anything at all.

This is what she has told me. As she has communication problems she may have misunderstood.

Please understand, she has only asked me at the last minute for help, I had to just go in cold and do my best.

And if she is not entitled to it, then sobeit, we can't make things up just so she fits the criteria.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure