White meter compatible with Economy 7 tarriffs?

Mr_h
Mr_h Posts: 21
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi,

I live in Scotland, and I have a White meter installed n my flat for my electricity. This has a day rate, and a night rate (00:00 - 08:30). My energy provider is Scottish Power.

I was wondering if my White meter would be compatible with the Economy 7 tarriffs with different energy providers?

I'm considering switching providers later this month, and this could be a stumbling block. I am aware that there may be a difference in the duration of the night rate depending on the provider, i.e. this is currently 8 hours.

Thanks

Comments

• Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would say as long as you don't have a cheap boost rate during the day that Economy 7 seems to be what you are on. Do you only have 1 meter?
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Compatible as a meter yes, but there are no valid E7 SSC/TPR combinations availble for the scottish regions as far as I know. So no you cannott change.
  • Mr_h
    Forumite
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Compatible as a meter yes, but there are no valid E7 SSC/TPR combinations availble for the scottish regions as far as I know. So no you cannott change.
    Joyful wrote: »
    I would say as long as you don't have a cheap boost rate during the day that Economy 7 seems to be what you are on. Do you only have 1 meter?
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. No, there's not a boost function during the day. Sorry, what are SSC/TPR combinations?
  • Carrot007
    Forumite
    Mr_h wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. No, there's not a boost function during the day. Sorry, what are SSC/TPR combinations?

Basically technical jargon. An SSC is your tarrif (beyond the cost). And TPR's are the sepc for each register on the SSC. (Standard Settlement Code and Time Pattern Regime IIRC).

What I am saying is in Scotland you cannot be offer E7 as it does not exist up there. All the SSC/TPR's are 8.5 hours. (Unless you get into the random number of hours determined by the probable weather tarrifs but they are even odder let's not go there).

On the market a supplier needs to be "certified" to provide a SSC/TPR. 99% only bother with Single Rate/E7 (of which there are 20+ at least). Some other supplier's can accept Standard Scottish E8.5 (as we can call it). As it is pretty standard. But not all. However if you ask any enquiry line they will just get confused as they know nothing.

I cannot advise you on anything cheaper as I am not up there. For all I know comparrison sire may work but call it E7 as they are put together from people not in the industry. Though again they may not.
  • Mr_h
    Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. That's really helpful! I currently receive 8.5 hours of the night rate, so what you said makes sense. Ok, I'll bear in mind what you mentioned when contacting other provider's enquiry lines. Thanks again!
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not sure where Carrot007's information is coming from. We have moved house extensively through Scotland, usually having the old White Meter which gives an off-peak time of 8 1/2 hours.

We've never had a problem with getting E7 tarrifs from Electricity providers. We still got the 8 1/2 hours overnight, but Scotland usually had a slightly higher rate.

Incidentally the timing is set by the area provider eg Scottish Power, not by the company supplying your electricity.
  • Mr_h
    Forumite
    Hmm, ok thanks - that's worth looking into. I presume if I go for Economy 7 tariff with another provider, they would automatically recognise the two rates of my meter, i.e. so I don't end up being charged the day rate for the full day?
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No Don't assume meters will be picked up correctly. I've had trouble with past switches when entering meter readings and had to contact company (Scottish Power) to get reading form on my account correctly labelled ie 1 and 2 reversed. Always check when switching.
  • Carrot007
    Forumite
    Be_Happy wrote: »
    Not sure where Carrot007's information is coming from. We have moved house extensively through Scotland, usually having the old White Meter which gives an off-peak time of 8 1/2 hours.

We've never had a problem with getting E7 tarrifs from Electricity providers. We still got the 8 1/2 hours overnight, but Scotland usually had a slightly higher rate.

Incidentally the timing is set by the area provider eg Scottish Power, not by the company supplying your electricity.

From the market domain data that describes everything. Many suplpier offer 8.5 hour tarrif's in Scotland. There are no e7 tarrif's up there. However they will be incorectly called e7 a lot of the time.
  • Carrot007
    Forumite
    Mr_h wrote: »
    Hmm, ok thanks - that's worth looking into. I presume if I go for Economy 7 tariff with another provider, they would automatically recognise the two rates of my meter, i.e. so I don't end up being charged the day rate for the full day?

If they will let you on it it is not an E7 tarrif, just called that for simplicity (don't expect any staff you talk to to understand).

The way is goes each supplier has to register for the tarrifs they will support in each area. There are no E7 in scotland so you cannot apply for one. However most suppliers call their 8.5 hour tarrifs in scotland E7. You ask me it confuses things.

So again nothing is E7 in Scotland but it might be called that for "convienience". The big supplier certainly all have tarrif's to support 2 rate simple metering up there. The other's who knows. Scotland even registered a second 1 rate tarrif that is only scotland. Though the standard is also there. I think the Scottish market just likes to over complicate things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure