PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No EPC certificate issued when purchased flat

Hi,
I'd be grateful for some help. I wonder whether it will just come down to 'my error, should have checked' but thought it was worth an ask.

I bought a flat a year ago, a maisonette on the 1st floor and attic space (1895 building). There's one flat downstairs over the ground floor and basement.
I bought it without a mortgage (silver lining to family bereavements I guess) and had a full survey done before we bought it.

We had a conveyancing firm do all the relevant stuff and no problems came up, other than there weren't building regs for the roof which had been redone a few years ago, although there is indemnity insurance in place.

The issue is now, that we are going out of the country for some time and are planning to rent it out, so we decided to get paperwork in order and the check the EPC was still valid. On checking it, I suddenly realised that the 'C' rated EPC we had been sent by the estate agent and the conveyancers was actually for downstairs, although it was labelled with our address. I only realised as it mentions a 'flat above' which I hadn't noticed before. We got an EPC inspector round, who said that without any regs for the attic room (which we also don't have), the flat would likely be rated below an E and so we can't rent it.

It also throws up the issue of it being advertised by the estate agents as a 2 bedroom flat, when presumably without building regs for the attic bedroom (the master bedroom), it should have been a 1 bedroom?

I'm concerned now that it would be almost impossible to rectify all of this without it being massively costly, and will impact on renting/selling.

We've put so much time and money into this flat already, and have done loads of work on it.

Do I have any recourse or does it all come down to me being too naive in the first place?

Thanks very much (sorry it's long!)

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Are you sure there isn't a certificate for your flat? Have you checked the register?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd be more worried about the quality of work done in the attic conversion.

If BRs were ignored, what else was skipped? Were the floor joists strengthened? Is the access fire-escape compliant? etc etc

Indemnity insurance would not protect you from these hazards!

ps -when do the new minimum EPC requirements come into force for letting?
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    G_M wrote: »

April 2018 for new agreements, so still time to get someone signed up prior to this.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Bex123456 wrote: »
    We got an EPC inspector round, who said that without any regs for the attic room (which we also don't have), the flat would likely be rated below an E and so we can't rent it.

Check the EPC register https://www.epcregister.com/ - it might be on there, and you were just given the wrong one. Unless it's direct electric heating with uninsulated walls and roof, and single glazing, it's unlikely to be worse than an E - if it is, then you will need to look into improvement options to meet the MEES requirements for letting past April 2018.
    Bex123456 wrote: »
    It also throws up the issue of it being advertised by the estate agents as a 2 bedroom flat, when presumably without building regs for the attic bedroom (the master bedroom), it should have been a 1 bedroom?

The lack of EPC doesn't change this, it is still the same now as when you bought it. Should have been something you looked into at that stage, the indemnity policy doesn't help you at all.
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    Are you sure there isn't a certificate for your flat? Have you checked the register?

We've checked that there's definitely no EPC. The only listed certificate is for the incorrect flat (downstairs but listed under our address) and the estate agent and EPC assessor couldn't find another one...
  • G_M wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the quality of work done in the attic conversion.

If BRs were ignored, what else was skipped? Were the floor joists strengthened? Is the access fire-escape compliant? etc etc

Indemnity insurance would not protect you from these hazards!

The attic was converted in 1983 we think, thus the lack of paperwork. It was done when the house was converted into 2 flats, I think but we have limited information. The staircase etc going up is standard and there were no obvious defects according to our survey.

The fact it's been standing for 30 years+ is reassuring, but obviously it would be nice to know there's no issues.
  • Bex123456
    Bex123456 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 December 2017 at 9:39PM
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    Check the EPC register - it might be on there, and you were just given the wrong one. Unless it's direct electric heating with uninsulated walls and roof, and single glazing, it's unlikely to be worse than an E - if it is, then you will need to look into improvement options to meet the MEES requirements for letting past April 2018.

The lack of EPC doesn't change this, it is still the same now as when you bought it. Should have been something you looked into at that stage, the indemnity policy doesn't help you at all.

Yes it was the EPC register that I was checking but it was listed for our flat incorrectly. The estate agent/solicitors etc don't have another one either, so doesn't seem to exist.

So the reason that the EPC inspector thought it would be less than an E was actually just because the attic has no documentation and therefore he said it would have to be treated as being in line with regulations from when the flat was built (1895) and not 1983 when it was actually done, which apparently gives it a big penalty. He said there was not much else we could actually change to gain a grade as already double glazed/gas heating with thermostat/energy saving bulbs etc.

When we bought it, we were under the impression it was an EPC C grade because of the incorrect certificate that we were given...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2017 at 8:45PM
    Balmy.

Check if there's an appeal process and/or get another EPC inspector round.

Try

https://www.epcregister.com/helpDesk.html

header.gifInformation

For more information about the Domestic Energy Performance Certificate Register or the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive:
    Email: [EMAIL="theregister@landmark.co.uk"]theregister@landmark.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    Telephone: 03300 366 024
  • G_M wrote: »
    Balmy.

Check if there's an appeal process and/or get another EPC inspector round.

Thanks, will do.
    The various EPC inspectors (including the ones who incorrectly labelled the certificate for the flat below) have so far been spectacularly unhelpful. Seems we're stuck in a ridiculous situation which isn't easy to remedy.

Really wish I'd double checked the EPC before the sale went through, but had so much other paperwork that seemed more important I didn't even consider it could be such a major problem. Live and learn I guess!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    Balmy.
    Or even "barmy". I think the problem here is that the flat isn't balmy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure