Ebuyer Refusing Return.. well within my right

Having spent thousands at Ebuyer in the past three months for computer equipment. I received a faulty motherboard.

Firstly, the mobo box arrived with no factory seal. The manufacturer is MSI, and the board is the z170a sli plus. I'm not sure if MSI factory seals like other manufacturers like XFX, ASUS and other companies do, but I did mention this on the phone to them and they said nothing.

Secondly, on arrival, I saw that the board's cpu protective cover was not on the socket, it was behind the motherboard inside the anti-static sleeving. Instantly I knew this was going to be a problem so I inpected the pins and low and behold, pins to the right side of the socket were bent in different directions.

Additionally, and importantly, the board had like streaking marks across it, I didn't think much of it because sometimes it is extra flux as I inquired about a graphics card from MSI's armor 570 range and they confirmed (from another supplier) that they apply flux to the back PCB to help the solder joints last longer. It was odd but I didn't mention this in the RMA.

So I called up, they were happy to accept the return and offer a replacement. Today I received an email stating they had changed the definition of the RMA to physical damage and that no further action was being taken.

Called them up, lady on the phone didn't really have any decent interpretation of why the RMA was being rejected apart from stating what I had said, that the pins were bent and that they were also 'signs of fitting, scratches', on the motherboard'.

on top of this, she also told me that Ebuyer had cancelled my Manufacturer Warranty (3 years) when MSI when I mentioned that I could contact the manufacturer. I do not know why they closed this option for me, but it was out of order and basically the motherboard is now completely redundant.

I have opened a dispute with my bank and they're happy to assist but it looks like ebuyer are going to come up with anything in order to try and win this.. I don't understand since I am being completely honest about the motherboard, I've spent thousands with Ebuyer and other online component retailers and this is only the second bank dispute in a 10 year bank account history, the first one was an ex using my card for a magazine subscription..

I still have orders out for thousands of pounds worth of components and I and others on my team have a lot of experience handling electronics. I was treated pretty badly over the phone to be honest, didn't expect them to just fubar the whole situation with interpretation of the board being damaged on my side.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your team ?? Spent Thousands .

Does this mean you are running a business as opposed to a consumer .
    If so its a business to business transaction .
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    It sounds like they sold you a customer return, you've returned it but they think you caused the damage.

If you purchased as/for a business you have no consumer rights. If a chargeback via your bank fails then the next stop is small claims court.
  • Arnie91
    Arnie91 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Yes they did change me to a business account. I am just an individual and my cousin has an account too, we planned on setting up a business but haven't started yet. I thought having a business account would better my chances of getting stock which was hard sort after as many of the graphics cards are out of stock for months.

It does say on their policy that business customers have 14 days to return if faulty.

The money came from my personal account (i dont have ab usiness account) and to a residential address it was delivered. Does that make a difference?
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Arnie91 wrote: »
    The money came from my personal account (i dont have ab usiness account) and to a residential address it was delivered. Does that make a difference?
    No, it's the reason that you purchased that matters. Did you purchase for your own personal use or not?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 July 2017 at 11:33PM
    Smells like a business then it's a business.

Simply put they believe that you put the CPU in the wrong way and bent the pins, I would too.

I have 2 Z170's, neither came with a factory seal on the outer box but they were in sealed bags.

The reason it wont be a customer return is because all return are inspected to find this kind of thing in the first place so if it was it would have been sent back to the original customer.

Bottom line, you're not the first and wont be the last they will see trying this very common situation on.
  • bris wrote: »
    The reason it wont be a customer return is because all return [STRIKE]are [/STRIKE] should be inspected to find this kind of thing in the first place so if it was it would have been sent back to the original customer

Tell me, how can you be so sure that every single item returned by a customer is inspected before being resold?
    Do you honestly believe that it's not possible for someone to make a mistake and miss something when a return is received?
    Once you've answered, maybe you can explain how I was able to buy a "new" Samsung tablet from Argos that had personal information (E-mail details and photographs) on it belonging to another person.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    OP, you either go all legal or chalk it up to experience and do a little more research in to companies before you buy from them. Ebuyer are one of those companies I wouldn't buy from unless I'm desperate just seen too many stories similar to yours.
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ... maybe you can explain how I was able to buy a "new" Samsung tablet from Argos that had personal information (E-mail details and photographs) on it belonging to another person.

I must admit, the word "Argos" crossed my mind when reading that "all items are checked" generalisation :)

And you can add an Argos flatscreen LCD TV (ordered online as a NEW item+delivered) which turned up a) pre-tuned in to the wrong transmitter, b) greasy fingerprints on screen, c) Batteries ready installed in remote, and d) Previous careful owner's name and address STILL ON THE BOX ... (same city, but the other side!)
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tell me, how can you be so sure that every single item returned by a customer is inspected before being resold?
    Do you honestly believe that it's not possible for someone to make a mistake and miss something when a return is received?
    Once you've answered, maybe you can explain how I was able to buy a "new" Samsung tablet from Argos that had personal information (E-mail details and photographs) on it belonging to another person.

Bris never said that all companies check every return, as you said Argos often miss things, but Ebuyer are well known for their stringent checks. It would be incredibly unlikely (although I admit not impossible) for something to slip through their returns quality control.

The company I work for often buys parts from Ebuyer and as Bris said this brand doesn't have a factory seal on the outer box but they do have a sealed static bag inside, the type you tear the top off so it would be impossible to not notice it had previously been opened and no way to make it look like it had never been opened. OP would have seen as soon as the box was opened that it was a open/used return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure