MalwareBytes 3 Premium -- freebies? opinions?

esuhl
esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I've always used a combination of free security software on my PC. But recently every free antivirus I've tried has been bloated, result in huge startup delays, slowed web browsing, and generally irritated me!

I ended up hacking the registry to shreds to fix the issues that persisted after the antivirus/firewall software was removed... and went a bit too far. So now I have a completely clean installation of Windows 7. :-/

I went to download the free version of MalwareBytes and ended up with a free trial to of the premium edition of the new version 3.x software. I installed a program I know has an optional PUP in it, and MalwareBytes detected it at once -- just like an antivirus.

I had a quick google, and MalwareBytes claim that it is an "antivirus replacement"...

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

This blog post makes it clear that it is NOT an anti-virus, and that it focuses on blocking web-based malware, rather than scanning files on your system. (Even though it detected the program I already had on my hard drive?!?!)

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192225-mbam-30-and-av-comparativesorg/#comment-1080896

Anyway... it seems rather good. There's no perceptible degradation of PC performance, the UI is straightforward...

As someone who never pays for any software (except Windows and Office) and uses free stuff... I'm seriously considering paying £30 a year for a subscription.

I just wondered what everyone else thinks of it, and... whether there are any freebies around?! I'm sure I heard of a free year's subscription being given away somewhere a while back. :-)

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I recently paid for Malwarebytes Premium, it doesn't seem to impact the boot time, there are some settings that you can adjust in the config that might help if it does.

Previously I just relied on the Win 10 a/v but recent issues with rogue website links (drive by malware) reported on several posts, prompted me to look at something (hopefully) more robust.

BTW, the free version of CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/get-ccleaner) will clean up the registry quite safely and is easy to use.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2017 at 7:54AM
    Ccleaner has caused Registry corruption in the past , I've seen affected machines

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3y84al/can_someone_explain_why_ccleaner_has_gotten_such/
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I never touch the CCleaner reg cleaner as I've heard it busting some machines. All the other tools are fine. I use MBAM latest version free after turning down the persistent requests to pay. I also use Spybot S & D and Avast and Superantispyware all free and after scans rarely pick anything up nowadays.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am using Malwarebytes 3 free version. Seems an improvement on v2. But I use Avira as a free antivirus so don't feel I need MB's live protection and allowed that to expire.

I do find CCleaner useful to manage my cookies; it clears all out but makes it easy to select the ones you want to keep. It does seem to be a powerful tool, though, so I stay clear of most of its other functions.
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    Ccleaner has caused Registry corruption in the past , I've seen affected machines
    That's why Ccleaner prompts you to save a copy of the registry before running the routine on it.

I regularly clean the registry with it on a desktop and two laptops, in several years I've not had a single issue, but like all things computer related, a backup plan is a good one in case of problems.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 3:15PM
    Sicard wrote: »
    I never touch the CCleaner reg cleaner as I've heard it busting some machines. All the other tools are fine. I use MBAM latest version free after turning down the persistent requests to pay. I also use Spybot S & D and Avast and Superantispyware all free and after scans rarely pick anything up nowadays.
    the thing with Superantispyware is that once it pick up issues it will not clean them all up until you upgrade to their paid version, which i got free through trialpay
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Biggles wrote: »
    I am using Malwarebytes 3 free version. .

Is there any way of getting rid of daily pop up asking to upgrade to the paid version?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Terry98 wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting rid of daily pop up asking to upgrade to the paid version?
    Can't help, Terry, I've never got a pop-up. But it's only a 14-day trial, so I imagine they'll stop then?
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Biggles wrote: »
    Can't help, Terry, I've never got a pop-up. But it's only a 14-day trial, so I imagine they'll stop then?

No they will only stop if you buy the Premium.

If you go with the free version after 14 days they nag you every day to upgrade!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BTW, the free version of CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/get-ccleaner) will clean up the registry quite safely and is easy to use.

I was using the CCleaner registry cleaner to identify potential problems with software I'd removed. But I wouldn't consider it safe to remove registry entries without fully understanding what they do and why they exist.

Like anyone else, I modify the registry occasionally to alter system settings. But since XP was released, automated registry cleaners are generally not needed and can do more harm than good if you just accept the recommendations (although CCleaner is better than most).

And this is part of what has been driving me crazy about modern antiviruses (and the Comodo firewall)! I haven't had to hack my registry to restore the normal function of my PC after removing software since the days of Windows 98!

Is it just me? Why have all the free antiviruses around become so bloated and buggy that cause so many performance problems?!

Also, I don't think I've ever had an antivirus detect anything on my PC in over 20 years of owning one. My blocklists and script-blockers (and general caution) seem to work fine by themselves. So with the quasi-antivirus properties of this version of MalwareBytes... that sounds like more than enough security.

I've always found free alternatives, so it's weird to consider paying for MalwareBytes, but it seems to perform so well compared to a full antivirus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure