Engine Coolant Light on a Vauxhall Astra 2002

Morning All, Advice please. This morning my coolant light came on, there is enough coolant in the bottle so not sure.

Last time this happened I think it was something as simple as a fuse or the fan hadn't kicked in. Can someone please help.

Thank you, Carol
LBM 10/9/13 £40,571 (SCARY). NOW DECEMBER 2016 £31,805.
PROUD AND STILL SCARED BUT PLODDING.

SPC 551

Comments

• reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it an "engine overheating" light? If so then open the bonnet and look for any evidence of overheating such as steam or excessive under bonnet heat. If no such evidence then it may be a defective coolant temperature sensor. Happened to me with our Jazz on the M11 last December but no evidence of actual overheating and I drove another 100 miles or so with no problems. Replacement sensor cured the problem.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    The coolant light kept lighting on my Jeep Cherokee although there was enough coolant. It would always come on after about a minute of driving so in the end I removed the plug, cleaned it with switch cleaner and replaced it. It seems to have worked.
  • carol1963_2
    carol1963_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Thank you. Where's the plug please and switch cleaner? Carol

SPC 551
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    carol1963 wrote: »
    Morning All, Advice please. This morning my coolant light came on, there is enough coolant in the bottle so not sure.

Last time this happened I think it was something as simple as a fuse or the fan hadn't kicked in. Can someone please help.

Thank you, Carol

Same thing happened to the wifes astra, it was a sensor in the coolant bottle was faulty (all one unit), the bottle was replaced and all good again
  • carol1963_2
    carol1963_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Hiya All, It was the engine coolant light (according to my owners manual booklet). No steam under the bonnet Temperature came up to 90%, light came on, carried on driving temperature came down but light still stayed on. Carol

SPC 551
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    carol1963 wrote: »
    Thank you. Where's the plug please and switch cleaner? Carol

I don't know about an Astra but it was obvious where the plug was on the Jeep - isn't there a coolant level plug on the bottle somewhere? It might be underneath?

As for switch cleaner - you should be able to buy it online or you could try a squirt of WD40.
  • Had the same problem 6 months ago, I simply gave the connector to the sensor a good squeeze though I could not see it. Never had a problem since.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    On my Vectra, if it was not at MAX, then the warning light used to come on in right hand bends (usually on DC or motorway a slip lane).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Fav on Astras is the auxillary fan on rad seizes up however if it hasnt got air con it wont have one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure