Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Mar 08, 10:39 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    TV Licence article Discussion
    • 18th Mar 08, 10:39 AM
    TV Licence article Discussion 18th Mar 08 at 10:39 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 3:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
  • Mak786
    TV license renewal
    Reading Martins tip, it seems he is encouraging people to renew before the acutal time, to get a pre-increase discount.

Mine is due end of April this year. If I try to renew on their website using my credit/debit card, it says it is too early to renew ? do I have to wait 10 minutes before midnight on 31/03 ?
    • JimArnold
    • By JimArnold 26th Mar 08, 11:26 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    JimArnold
    I suspect that the answer is to buy a new license rather than renew an existing one
    TANSTAAFL !
  • MADCAT19
    Never had a TV before. I "inherited" one from a friend, who left the country. My flatmate, her TV & license moved out and now I'm left w/ the busted telly (has a stuck tape in it - the 6th sense, do you think it's trying to tell me something?) and a Virgin box that hasn't worked for 2 months. Just got a threatening letter from TVL and I really don't want to pay. To make things more complicated, even if I was gonna pay, I'm moving out in August and hopefully moving in somewhere where there is a license already. That's 4 months' worth of license away and they will only refund 3 months (for students, I read, which I'm not...). What is this thing about not being able to cancel a license? Once a license, always a license? What shall I do? I'm tempted to never open the door. I never do anyway unless I'm expecting visitors...
    • Swan
    • By Swan 26th Mar 08, 2:35 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    Never had a TV before. I "inherited" one from a friend, who left the country. My flatmate, her TV & license moved out and now I'm left w/ the busted telly (has a stuck tape in it - the 6th sense, do you think it's trying to tell me something?) and a Virgin box that hasn't worked for 2 months. Just got a threatening letter from TVL and I really don't want to pay. To make things more complicated, even if I was gonna pay, I'm moving out in August and hopefully moving in somewhere where there is a license already. That's 4 months' worth of license away and they will only refund 3 months (for students, I read, which I'm not...). What is this thing about not being able to cancel a license? Once a license, always a license? What shall I do? I'm tempted to never open the door. I never do anyway unless I'm expecting visitors...
    Originally posted by MADCAT19
    you don't need a license if you're not using the telly, so either write & tell them that or just ignore the letters

even if they do turn up on your doorstep & you should happen to open the door to them, they've no right of entry
  • MADCAT19
    The problem is that my current flatmate would like the Virgin box to work so that means we will be using it at some point...
    • special_k83
    • By special_k83 27th Mar 08, 10:48 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    special_k83
    I found this site just yesterday

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

Very interesting reading - I learned that TVL are in fact the BBC!! They are not a contracted out agency, they ARE the BBC! And that their sophisticated "detector vans" are empty

I am completely against the TV licence, it made sense once upon a time when you could only watch the BBC or even when 50% of channels on the box were BBC1 and BBC2. The concept of a TV licence is completely outdated.

Imagine having to pay your local car dealer EVERY YEAR for driving a car that they do not sell.

No sense whatsoever!!
    Last edited by special_k83; 27-03-2008 at 10:51 AM.
  • MADCAT19
    Seriously, have you read on their website about the detector vans/technology? It's laughable!
    "
    How do the detector vans work?

Our vans feature a range of detection tools. Some aspects of the equipment have been developed in such secrecy that engineers working on specific detection methods work in isolation, so not even they know how the other detection methods work. This gives us the best chance of catching licence evaders."

That website is interesting reading, indeed!

I'm NOT getting a TV License!
    Last edited by MADCAT19; 27-03-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    • KILL BILL
    • By KILL BILL 27th Mar 08, 11:09 AM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    KILL BILL
    i have not had a tv license for the past18 years and will not do so

although i have a tv and watch it very rarely i never watch bbc - why because there is never any intresting programes which are produced only alot of boring news programmes and sports-

people complain about the advertising that is on the other channels but if i compare channel 4 to the bbc it has more diveerse and factual programmes than the bbc

for example they deal with medical marvels and operatioons and other stuff. not to forget to mention that they have miles better films on channel 4 and although film 4 do repeat their films they have films at least whereaas bbc has crap none

my advice is dont get a tv licence - save yourself the money and if the tv license people call just shut the door in their face - you can do that its your own front door !!!!!!!
  • MADCAT19
    I WILL! I'm psyched up now...
    • special_k83
    • By special_k83 27th Mar 08, 1:11 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    special_k83
    If more people stopped buying they'd abolish it.

The BBC are not a government service so why should they get special treatment and take 130 odd pounds from us each year whether we earn or not.
  • moonrakerz
    Very interesting reading - I learned that TVL are in fact the BBC!! They are not a contracted out agency, they ARE the BBC! And that their sophisticated "detector vans" are empty
    Originally posted by special_k83
    TVL are not the BBC, they hived it off to a Company called Capita some years back:

http://www.capita.co.uk/about-us/Pages/BBCTVLicensing.aspx
  • moonrakerz
    Seriously, have you read on their website about the detector vans/technology? It's laughable!
    "
    How do the detector vans work?

Our vans feature a range of detection tools. Some aspects of the equipment have been developed in such secrecy that engineers working on specific detection methods work in isolation, so not even they know how the other detection methods work. This gives us the best chance of catching licence evaders."

That website is interesting reading, indeed!

I'm NOT getting a TV License!
    Even if the vans did work the evidence would not be admissable in Court. It would be classed as "covert surveillance"; ie: the same as tapping your 'phone - which they are not allowed to do !
  • MADCAT19
    I guess, the question remains, how do they get away with all that?
    • special_k83
    • By special_k83 28th Mar 08, 4:44 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    special_k83
    I guess, the question remains, how do they get away with all that?
    By not letting TVL bully them. Just don't let then into your home, you are not legally obliged to. No evidence = no fine
    • oldMcDonald
    • By oldMcDonald 28th Mar 08, 7:02 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    oldMcDonald
    We have been thinking about stopping paying for the TV licence for a long time. In May our NTL subscription runs out, we are asking them to come and take the box - it is already unplugged from the TV and the others in the home are tuned in to VCR / DVD players only, with no ariels. We have not watched live TV for 3 months now, yet we are still paying the licence by DD. I am cancelling the direct debit for the TV licence on Monday.

I am not looking forward to confrontations on the doorstep - I live in an area that seems to be chosen for the TV dertector van (!) to do it's round in quite regularly (if the court round ups are anything to go by). Whilst I agree totally with those of you who are able to hold their own on the doorstep, I would turn to mush - I am cr*p in these situations. Someone on an earlier thread mentioned that you could probably manage to get them to leave you alone for a short amount of time if you filled in some form - does anyone know more about this?

I assume that as soon as I cancel the direct debit for May I will start to get threatening letters and knocks on the door. I am dreading it, but I suppose it is people like me, people who are not too confident in dealing with something like this, who end up in the position whereby it is easier to have a licence even if you don't watch TV (which is pretty much where we are now). It is really a stupid situation we have got into whereby we are paying for a licence when we no longer watch TV! It is only by reading this thread it has dawned on me that it is bullying tactics.

So do I cancel the DD, and write to the TVL or is there little point as I will get a visit anyway?

• Swan
    • By Swan 28th Mar 08, 8:04 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    I am not looking forward to confrontations on the doorstep - I live in an area that seems to be chosen for the TV dertector van (!) to do it's round in quite regularly (if the court round ups are anything to go by). Whilst I agree totally with those of you who are able to hold their own on the doorstep, I would turn to mush - I am cr*p in these situations. Someone on an earlier thread mentioned that you could probably manage to get them to leave you alone for a short amount of time if you filled in some form - does anyone know more about this?

So do I cancel the DD, and write to the TVL or is there little point as I will get a visit anyway?
    Originally posted by oldMcDonald
    hi oldMcDonald,
    I'm sure there'll be others along with different experiences & opinions, but here's mine ...

I didn't watch telly for around 2 1/2 years, I did have a telly, but it was only used for DVDs & gaming

I'd just moved to a new flat & got all the usual threatening letters, so I wrote & told TVLA how I was using my telly & they were perfectly fine about it, but said they might need to send someone round to check
    the letters stopped, & in 2 years no-one ever showed up, they left me alone. I might have just been lucky, or perhaps it was my location (small out-of-the-way town in Scotland)

I was prepared to let them in to see everything was above board, & to make the situation clearer I'd de-tuned the telly, disconnected the aerial & rolled up & taped the cable to the skirting board 8' away from the telly
    you don't have to do any of that, but it made me feel more comfortable
  • moonrakerz
    was[/i] prepared to let them in to see everything was above board, & to make the situation clearer I'd de-tuned the telly, disconnected the aerial & rolled up & taped the cable to the skirting board 8' away from the telly
    you don't have to do any of that, but it made me feel more comfortable
    by Swan;9697413
    I [I
    If you're happy to do this, then that is up to you, but I find the attitude of TV Licensing very disturbing.

Swan, who is a perfectly law abiding citizen has been "badgered" into proving to some completely non-legal entity that he is not breaking the law.
    I don't have to prove that I have not been speeding, or that I have not been shop lifting from M & S - so why should TV Licensing make people prove that they are not watching TV without a licence ?
    Isn't there something about being "innocent until proved guilty" ?

Plus - DNA samples, finger prints at Heathrow, it's a bit by bit erosion of our freedoms !
    • boybeck
    • By boybeck 4th Apr 08, 8:31 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    boybeck
    I am perfectly happy to pay for the TV licence. It is very cheap compared to the high monthly costs of Sky. I have watched TV in Australia, USA and Canada and the standards are much lower than here in the UK. BBC output is of a very high standard (granted, not all of it haha). If it weren't for the BBC our commercial channels wouldn't feel the need to keep up with them on quality. If the BBC funding disappears then prepare for a rapid decline in quality standards on all TV channels as shareholders demand more and more profit.
  • MADCAT19
    TV is rubbish anyway... I wouldn't miss it at all.
  • butterfingers40
    My son is going to Uni in September and he will need a tv license. I know we can apply for a refund as he will coming home in may and he will have three mnths left on the license. We are going to buy it for him . The question is can he apply for the license at home and pay for it on the cash payment scheme but leave the payment card here with us and we will pay it every week here?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

3,704Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin