Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 25th Sep 03, 5:02 PM
    • 8,115Posts
    • 42,285Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Martin's Broadcast Appearances Discussions
    • 25th Sep 03, 5:02 PM
    Martin's Broadcast Appearances Discussions 25th Sep 03 at 5:02 PM
    What's it all about?

This board is here as a discussion thread based to talk about my appearances in the media (gulp....)

Where can I find out about the appearances?

They're listed in a separate thread (so the discussion doesn't clutter the listing). Full details of appearances.

Martin

JUST CLICK REPLY TO JOIN IN.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 19-06-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Page 14
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 30th Sep 12, 7:54 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    Wyndham
    Just wanted to add my voice to the votes against the camera work. Martin, you are wonderful, but this was at best annoying, and at worst seems to have made people feel ill. Please, please, please sort this out.

I was once told that you haven't communicated unless the other person has got the message - for me, the camera detracted from the message so much that even the toy trains lost their appeal - and that's really bad!
    • GiraffePC
    • By GiraffePC 7th Oct 12, 11:16 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GiraffePC
    I start to feel disorientated/nauseous when the camera work is jerky (being polite here!) - even Saira didn't make up for it.
    The whole thing was reminiscent of those cheap ads where they try to cram the info into 10-quids' worth of air-time.
    Great pity - I was really looking forward to serious knowledge on a serious subject.
  • Skip67
    Tuesday 27th November - eBay feature on ITV
    I watched the ITV 1 show last night and noticed that nothing was mentioned re eBay selling fees when comparing online auction sites to car boot sales - I'm a full time eBay seller and the selling fees can average out at approx 12-13% when Paypal receiving fees are taken into account (eBay final value fees are generally around 9.9% and Paypal receiving fees are around 2-3%) - I feel that your programme misled some people by not mentioning these significant costs.

Also, when it was mentioned about the jumper being returned, nothing was said about losing out on the postage costs and possibly having to pay the buyers return postage costs - another significant overhead of selling online.

Equally nothing was mentioned about fees for partaking in car boot sales. I've never been to one so don't know if there are any, but again this wasn't made clear.

I would presume Martin has researchers who should have found all this information out - maybe I should apply to be one?
    Last edited by Skip67; 28-11-2012 at 2:06 PM.
  • greenalien
    Totally agree with Skip67 regarding Ebay and Paypal fees - but there's more - although Paypal fees are deducted when the payment is made, Ebay fees are taken from your designated account up to a month later - can be a nasty surprise if you haven't budgeted for them!
    Furthermore, Paypal can claw back the money paid to you if there is a dispute over the sold item - this can particularly be a problem if the item is damaged during shipping, when you get a 4-way dispute between you, as the seller, the buyer, Paypal and the carrier. These disputes can be acrimonious and can drag on for months, and even if you have done nothing wrong, you may be unlucky and have the money taken off you.
    Ebay works well 99% of the time; when it doesn't, it can be a costly nightmare - one which you can mitigate by carefully wording your posting, ensuring goods are accurately described, making it clear that any in-transit damage is the buyer's responsibility, but insuring the goods for their full value anyway (although this isn't always possible - carriers have long and extensive lists of 'excluded items' which they will not cover.).
    I'm a great fan of Ebay - but a car boot sale is much simpler!
    • Essenchill
    • By Essenchill 29th Nov 12, 4:15 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Essenchill
    I also agree with skip67 and greenalien - even if these points were not included to make the piece shorter and snappier, you are misleading people into thinking they can make more than they actually can. Fees when it comes to using Ebay and PayPal are not an insignificant part you can skip over, they are a very big part of using the websites and should have been mentioned.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Dec 12, 4:33 PM
    • 29,220 Posts
    • 62,034 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I caught Martin's slot on the Jeremy Vine show at lunchtime - his argument against unnecessary spending at Christmas was spot on. Made me feel a bit bah humbug too, but is point was that you're much better off having a happy New Year than an excessive Christmas Day. Listen from 1:08:53 - you can't argue with the logic, but since when was having fun being logical?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mrsmouch2013
    Ideal home exhibition
    Hello Martin,

I was lucky enough to print out the free tickets for the Ideal Home exhibition for week commening 18th - 22nd March.
    I remember reading you are to make some appearances but now I can't find the dates, could you help and list the days.

• kauma
    Could you guys help me, i am looking for some tips to do online shopping. I bought a mobile phone which written dual sim but now when i used it, only one sim works at time and when anyother person call me on another number it say either out or reach or coverage area. When i talked to website customer service they said we cannot take it back. What to do??
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 3rd Aug 13, 4:29 PM
    • 14,072 Posts
    • 72,257 Thanks
    I luv cats
    09/08/2013 BBC Radio 4Any Questions?

Duration: 48 minutesFirst broadcast:Friday 09 August 2013
    Nick Robinson presents political debate and discussion from Broadcasting House, London with Professor Sir Hugh Pennington Emeritus Professor of Microbiology at Aberdeen University, poet Benjamin Zephaniah and Martin Lewis the founder of moneysavingexpert.com.

I normally catch it on a Saturday and for those that like the show might be interested that Martin is on this coming week!
    • Jenna Appleseed
    • By Jenna Appleseed 7th Aug 13, 12:11 AM
    • 2,186 Posts
    • 7,857 Thanks
    Jenna Appleseed
    ^ still getting free advertising for the site on the BBC? *raises eyebrows*
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 21st Sep 13, 1:23 PM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,226 Thanks
    mattytun
    Tina Malone is a mess........ Feel sorry for the kid she's having http://www.itv.com/thismorning/hot-topics
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 2nd Oct 13, 10:17 AM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,226 Thanks
    mattytun
    I see Christopher Biggins will be making a guest appearance when you grill him in the vault I remember you interviewed him about his money etc on that good Ch5 program you done a few years ago I wonder if he actually took note of what you advised him ................... or do you think it went in one ear and out the other............ Biggins will never be strapped for cash his buddy's Joan Collins..
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 18th Oct 13, 3:53 PM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,226 Thanks
    mattytun
    Charlotte Crosby what a waste of space................. In one ear out the other...... Had to switch offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
  • HayAH
    Hi. New to the forum and I really can't work out if this the place to ask a question but...
    Is it possible to get a copy / download the 12 saves of Christmas show? I run budgeting sessions (through Christians Against Poverty) and think this show would be a great session in September / October. I would also like to play the section with the ArchBish at my church. All in all a brilliant show. Thank you!
  • Vict
    Terrible new TV show on ITV
    Watched the new TV show on ITV last week. Appalled. Switched off at first advert break. It came across as a child's programme, talk about "dumbing down". Dressing up as Inspector Clouseau?, pathetic attempt at humour. Why cannot you treat your audience with some intelligence. Stick with clear facts and forget trying to "entertain" us. Why on earth revisit that couple that were given a house only to end up in massive debt? They clearly were clueless and don't deserve any sympathy.
    Why not a TV programme stuffed full of facts and advice instead of this stupid froth?
  • bcbamber
    Mental Health and Debt
    I have a bad mental health problem and I being mercilessly persued by Wells Fargo Bank for money I owe. I heard Martin on two occasions claiming that my debt can't be referred to a debt collector because of my mental health. This is only true if they are signed up to the Lending Code. Now I am bnajxed as I ignored one of their letters and they took me to court and added all the interest they agreed to freeze. Can't get any legal advice or representation as the gov has cut legal aid down to the bare minimum. Can't get into court to represent myself as I am too ill. Any ideas?? Martin please don't keep saying the above. Not all banks are signed up to the Lending Code!!!!!!
    • vm2pensioner
    • By vm2pensioner 8th Feb 14, 4:04 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    vm2pensioner
    Watched the new TV show on ITV last week. Appalled. Switched off at first advert break. It came across as a child's programme, talk about "dumbing down". Dressing up as Inspector Clouseau?, pathetic attempt at humour. Why cannot you treat your audience with some intelligence. Stick with clear facts and forget trying to "entertain" us. Why on earth revisit that couple that were given a house only to end up in massive debt? They clearly were clueless and don't deserve any sympathy.
    Why not a TV programme stuffed full of facts and advice instead of this stupid froth?
    Originally posted by Vict
    Yes, there are important messages to get across to as wide an audience as possible. The dumbing down, embarrassingly poor humour and gurning from presenters only detract from the message.
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 8th Feb 14, 9:12 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    Yes, there are important messages to get across to as wide an audience as possible. The dumbing down, embarrassingly poor humour and gurning from presenters only detract from the message.
    Originally posted by vm2pensioner
    Sadly I agree.
    Is the programme in fact now intended for the err shall we say, less alert amongst us?
    I wish Saira would stop flirting with Martin, it's sick making.
    Martins poor wife!
    I'm afraid I am not a fan of Saira anyway, think she detracts from the message.
    Do you not care anymore Martin, now you've made your money?

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
    ― John Wooden
  • LFP1973
    Martin, Thanks for the freebie tickets to the Ideal Home Show. Caught your session on 26th March and enjoyed it greatly. Hope your cold is better. Thanks for the great advice.
    • Newlook
    • By Newlook 19th Aug 14, 3:23 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Newlook
    Hi Martin,
    Are you having further discussions involving Capital Repayment and Overpayment for mortgages. I found your site very helpful about choosing Capital Repayment and Overpayment options to pay towards mortgages. However my situation is slightly different as I have been awarded Land Compensation 3500 from my Local County Council. I would choose overpayment if given the option as I only owe 9000'ish, over 6 years 8 months, monthly payments set at 195.00 at 4.54% interest which is worked out monthly. Compensation has to be paid straight to the Mortgagee NRAM.

Four weeks ago and again two weeks ago I called NRAM to discuss my situation. I was advised that I could choose either Repayment or Capital repayment, I explained that when the situation was concluded and the 3500 compensation was paid I wanted the Repayment option so that the net effect would reduce the term which will result in us paying of the mortgage quicker. This was agreed over the phone with notes put on my file.

Yesterday evening 18.08.14 at 22.00 hrs, I phoned again and explained my situation to another agent. He explained that my compensation payment was paid in on the 14th August and couldn’t understand why a letter wasn’t sent out to confirm this. I explained how angry I was that I hadn’t been informed by letter and even worse they had completed the payment through a Capital Repayment Argh! The agent double checked about the letter and apologised to me, then explained he was the debt department and to phone back tomorrow, 19.08.14 to speak to an advisor, apparently only the debt department was open after 5.30 pm.

After calling back today and speaking to two different agents, as they both gave conflicting advice- argh, I was told by an agent, as I couldn’t speak to his superior or the mortgage department directly due to company policy, that my Land Compensation award can only be paid by the Capital Repayment option as it is classed as Insurance and this rule is clearly stated in my contract. However I don’t think I have ever been given a contract since the changeover from Northern Rock to NRAM, or maybe I have lost it.

They did say however, if I made another optional payment then the optional part would be classed as my preferred option, the cheek! I feel this is unfair especially as my request is on file and it is their agents who made a mistake in advising me wrongly in the first place.

Later today 19.08.14, 2pm, I received the letter dated 18.08.14 which I would not have even received if I hadn’t contacted them yesterday after 5.30 pm for an up-date.

In summary, I wondered if you would feel the same, if it is common for NRAM to be money grabbers in any which way they can, how I can get it out there to warn others about NRAM and if there is any advice that you can give me about this situation ?

Thank you for your valuable time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,505Posts Today

8,948Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin