Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 25th Sep 03, 5:02 PM
    • 8,115Posts
    • 42,285Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Martin's Broadcast Appearances Discussions
    • 25th Sep 03, 5:02 PM
    Martin's Broadcast Appearances Discussions 25th Sep 03 at 5:02 PM
    What's it all about?

This board is here as a discussion thread based to talk about my appearances in the media (gulp....)

Where can I find out about the appearances?

They're listed in a separate thread (so the discussion doesn't clutter the listing). Full details of appearances.

Martin

JUST CLICK REPLY TO JOIN IN.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 19-06-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Page 13
    • nilrem
    • By nilrem 25th Sep 12, 11:03 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    nilrem
    Thank god I am not the only one!

I found it almost impossible to watch, I did my best but could not make it to the end of the programme.

Definitely won't be watching again!

Whatever were they thinking? Any idea of making savings was lost with the most gimmicky programme I have seen on TV, IMHO it would be impossible to make a worse programme than this!
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 25th Sep 12, 11:32 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 2,588 Thanks
    JohnRo
    Just adding my voice to the calls to sack the cameraman / editor, the camera work was utterly disgusting, no other word will do.

Pop videos are bad enough with stroboscope images but this was in a league of its own. Utterly pointless and totally distracting.

I actually felt physically ill watching it, nauseous after about 5 minutes, it was horrendous.
    • oddbodd
    • By oddbodd 26th Sep 12, 10:35 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    oddbodd
    Same here. 10 minutes was all we could manage before getting headaches.

I started to count the number of seconds before there was a camera angle change or an edit. 1 to 3 seconds, for long periods.

This type of editing has been tried before, years ago, and was absolutely slated by viewers. Needless to say, it was stopped.

Please don't repeat the mistake!

We shalln't be tuning in again until it's watchable.
    • mystic_trev
    • By mystic_trev 26th Sep 12, 11:01 AM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    mystic_trev
    Same here. 10 minutes was all we could manage before getting headaches.
    Originally posted by oddbodd
    Both the Cameraman and Martin seemed to be suffering from what my old Mum used to call Saint Vitus dance! I used to think Martin had to talk quickly, due to time requirements. Now you've got your own Program Martin, just slow down, don't act like a rabid dog on Acid. I really was very disappointed, being a long time supporter I was really expecting much better.
    • Optimist
    • By Optimist 26th Sep 12, 12:15 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    Optimist
    What a terrible program. The producer should be sacked for letting that go on air.

I lasted 10 mins before I switched off
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Bella_b
    I didn't see anything wrong with The Martin Lewis money show. I knew about all the things he mentioned anyway so it was nothing new to me, but I realise it's about getting the word out to the masses & there are many people who haven't been on this site for years and haven't been brought up in frugal money saving type families! I didn't think it was as good as the show he once had on channel 5 .
  • MrSmartprice
    Martin has done a few programmes over the years with varying degrees of success. But the latest one is truly awful. He's trying to cram in far too much, so it's all superficial. And it's clearly aimed at a very dumbed-down audience, money saving for Sun readers! It just didn't work on any level.

The camerawork was dire, his sidekick was just plain silly, and he has done his reputation no good whatsoever with this stuff.

Martin - Do it properly or don't bother at all. I can't believe this is the best you can do.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 26th Sep 12, 3:52 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    I'm glad others think the same as me.Not just the jerky cameras but all that shouting!

WE ARE NOT DEAF !!

Sorry,we are not deaf

Shan't be watching agin,would much rather learn what i need to know on here.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 26th Sep 12, 3:57 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Martin has done a few programmes over the years with varying degrees of success. But the latest one is truly awful. He's trying to cram in far too much, so it's all superficial. And it's clearly aimed at a very dumbed-down audience, money saving for Sun readers! It just didn't work on any level.

The camerawork was dire, his sidekick was just plain silly, and he has done his reputation no good whatsoever with this stuff.

Martin - Do it properly or don't bother at all. I can't believe this is the best you can do.
    Originally posted by MrSmartprice
    I agree totally with the above. I had to look away as the camera work made me feel so sick! The constant camera moving and zooming in and out was unbearable.
    • kar999
    • By kar999 26th Sep 12, 4:12 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    kar999
    I didn't see anything wrong with The Martin Lewis money show. I knew about all the things he mentioned anyway so it was nothing new to me, but I realise it's about getting the word out to the masses & there are many people who haven't been on this site for years and haven't been brought up in frugal money saving type families! I didn't think it was as good as the show he once had on channel 5 .
    Originally posted by Bella_b
    It was wasn't the content that was at fault. If it appeals to the many less savvy viewers than the readers on here then that has to be good. I know a few people who hadn't heard about spilt fares or cashback credit cards.

The somewhat dumbed down content I can deal with.
    The awful video production/camera technique I can't.

7/10 for content
    1/10 for presentation.
    Last edited by kar999; 26-09-2012 at 4:14 PM.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
    • scooby123
    • By scooby123 26th Sep 12, 6:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    scooby123
    I was looking forward to the programme but had to switch it off after a few minutes because of the mad camera work, it was making me feel sick and headachy. Lots of shows have it now and again but this was relentless and, from reading other posts here it went on til the end. Don't they want people to watch it?
  • Marros
    Idiotic camera-work
    Ye, it DID go on RIGHT to the end.... I registered on here late last night in order to complain about it and I don't usually do that sort of thing!

I'm wondering why Martin hasn't been on here (yet) to answer all these comments about the ridiculous way his show was presented to the public...

Or does he really CARE what we think? Perhaps NOT!

...Irate viewer of his show, ('but won't get fooled again')

Marros.
    • nannyboo1
    • By nannyboo1 26th Sep 12, 11:23 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 5,947 Thanks
    nannyboo1
    I have been really looking forward to watching this as I loved the show that was on Channel 5. Am just about to go watch it but am no longer looking forward to it. Will stick it out as desperately want/need any info on how to get finances on track, but think reading posts on here will be the way to go rather than watching the programme
    Kate
    • halsteadk
    • By halsteadk 27th Sep 12, 8:40 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    halsteadk
    I have been really looking forward to watching this as I loved the show that was on Channel 5. Am just about to go watch it but am no longer looking forward to it. Will stick it out as desperately want/need any info on how to get finances on track, but think reading posts on here will be the way to go rather than watching the programme
    Originally posted by nannyboo1
    I don't think you'll learn anything you can't get from this site. Great website, great advice, but gutter TV. Seems to have been made to appeal to idiots (both in the camerawork but also in the way the presenters spoke - particularly Martin's sidekick in the lift), but idiots won't follow the advice will they...

If we didn't have a licence-funded broadcaster, all TV would be made like this....
    • halsteadk
    • By halsteadk 27th Sep 12, 8:47 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    halsteadk
    I'm wondering why Martin hasn't been on here (yet) to answer all these comments about the ridiculous way his show was presented to the public...
    Originally posted by Marros
    He has acknowledged on Twitter comments about the camera work.

"Hi folks thanks for all the great feedback on #itvMLshow. It rated really well 3.7m. And I will make your point about camera to producers"

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/251081906555346944

I would disagree that "rated well" is defined by viewing figures for a single week (perhaps in TV speak but not in common English) - surely by viewer appreciation, and I guess any change in viewing figures the 2nd week.
    • p00
    • By p00 27th Sep 12, 9:50 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    p00
    I thought it actually made Superscrimpers look good. At least on there its continual facts and tips for the whole program.

Unfortunately Martin only told us a few things ( were there only 3 points made) which were on the last show anyway and his continual shouting and jumping about is really annoying. If the next show is the same we wont be watching again.

Come on Martin we want new tips and money saving facts not a rehash of the old show
  • Marros
    Hi Halsteadk

Thanks for your link.
    At least he has acknowledged the many adverse comments...

Marros.
  • mj730
    I'm really glad to see that I'm not the only one who hated the camera work.
    What should have been a good program ruined by the camera. As others have said I'll stick with the website I can read that at my own speed without being on speed.
    • nannyboo1
    • By nannyboo1 28th Sep 12, 12:24 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 5,947 Thanks
    nannyboo1
    Have to admit I was really disappointed as my first viewing Martin on TV was his channel 5 show which I thought was really good of not.Will give this a couple of more goes before I give up but definitely not as good
    Kate
    • AndyT678
    • By AndyT678 28th Sep 12, 11:14 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyT678
    I just have to add my voice to the chorus. I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to turn over to get away from that bl00dy camera!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

844Posts Today

6,723Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin