Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mlwillerton
    • By mlwillerton 19th May 19, 5:38 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mlwillerton
    EON smart meters
    • 19th May 19, 5:38 PM
    EON smart meters 19th May 19 at 5:38 PM
    I am with EON and i had a letter telling me my meter is out of date and must be replaced!!!!
    We contact the installers to arrange for them to install our "out of date" meter and they tell us, "oh no you can't have a new meter, you have solar panels" which yes we have solar panels.

So the meter can't be that pout of date!
    And i assume that was EONs attempt to give me a smart meter but they are unable to as i have solar panels.....which seems odd??
    Why no smart meter with solar panels?
Page 1
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 20th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 20th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 20th May 19, 10:16 AM
    I don't know as I have a smart meter and solar panels, no problem.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 20th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    thorganby
    • 20th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 20th May 19, 10:57 AM
    They are simply cherry picking easy jobs to meet their install quotas and may not yet be set up to pass on recorded exported energy data to the FIT provider.

Smart meters are not necessarily a good idea if you have solar PV, as exported power should be recorded by the smart meter and not assumed to be 50% of generation.

You need to know how much generated energy you actually use before rushing to get a smart meter if you don't want to lose out on FIT payments.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 20th May 19, 11:48 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 20th May 19, 11:48 AM
    • 20th May 19, 11:48 AM
    Smart meters are not necessarily a good idea if you have solar PV, as exported power should be recorded by the smart meter and not assumed to be 50% of generation.

You need to know how much generated energy you actually use before rushing to get a smart meter if you don't want to lose out on FIT payments.
    Originally posted by thorganby
    Yes, I can confirm this. I've just done the sums on my FIT.

Over the past 6 years (I had the smart meter fitted in 2013) my export figure on the meter equates to 206, whereas my actual FIT 50% export figure payment is 320.

Fortunately, at present, my FIT is paid by a different supplier to the one who currently supplies me - and luckily they don't talk to each other.

Mind you, now that my smart meter is dumb, it doesn't talk to anyone at the moment!
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    • 22nd May 19, 9:07 AM
    E.ON Meter Exchange
    • 22nd May 19, 9:07 AM
    I am with EON and i had a letter telling me my meter is out of date and must be replaced!!!!
    We contact the installers to arrange for them to install our "out of date" meter and they tell us, "oh no you can't have a new meter, you have solar panels" which yes we have solar panels.

So the meter can't be that pout of date!
    And i assume that was EONs attempt to give me a smart meter but they are unable to as i have solar panels.....which seems odd??
    Why no smart meter with solar panels?
    Originally posted by mlwillerton
    Morning mlwillerton.

At the moment, we can only fit smart meters when we're not the FIT supplier. We can't do this where we supply both the energy and the FIT as we don't currently have a suitable export billing solution. This is something we're working on.

As we've told you the current meter is nearing the end of its guaranteed lifespan, you should've been offered a classic meter and I'm sorry if this wasn't done.

Did you call the number on the letter? If you did, please try again as this is something we should've followed up more thoroughly when you first called.

Thanks mlwillerton.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

3,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin