Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 19th May 19, 4:40 PM
    • 129Posts
    • 23Thanks
    noclaf
    Bedroom flooring material - what's best for asthma/dust allergies
    • 19th May 19, 4:40 PM
    Bedroom flooring material - what's best for asthma/dust allergies 19th May 19 at 4:40 PM
    Due to change bedroom carpet soon, it's over 10 years old so well due for a change and the bedroom is to be redecorated anyway.
    My asthma is significantly worse than it used to be and more importantly dust has become a trigger too.

Looking for tips on good flooring options taking into account my allergies and the following:
    - don't mind carpet or hard flooring such as laminate/wood
    - durability is important
    - safety from the perspective of the flooring material being safe/suitable for a bedroom is also key.. both in terms of comfort and use of safe materials in the flooring that don't release toxins etc
    - easy to maintain/clean

Thanks
Page 1
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 19th May 19, 6:10 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    aliby21
    • 19th May 19, 6:10 PM
    • 19th May 19, 6:10 PM
    I would definitely go for hard flooring. Carpets just offer a hiding place for dust, with hard floors you will know when it is there. You will see lots of dust but it is much easier to sweep / hoover up IMO. You can always put down a (washable) rug if you want something cosier. I like engineered wood, though some LVT (luxury vinyl tiles) are nice too, you can get ones that look pretty convincingly like wood. Though this does depend on what look you want
    • jk0
    • By jk0 19th May 19, 6:29 PM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 26,504 Thanks
    jk0
    • 19th May 19, 6:29 PM
    • 19th May 19, 6:29 PM
    I have this problem too.

I have laminate flooring, a dustproof mattress cover, and traditional sheets & wool blankets.

The wool blankets have been quite a revelation to me, as they are washed in a wool cycle every fortnight, and my allergies hardly bother me now.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th May 19, 5:34 AM
    • 28,506 Posts
    • 100,298 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 20th May 19, 5:34 AM
    • 20th May 19, 5:34 AM
    Laminate or LVT will be tough enough as miuch of it is guaranteed for heavy domestic use, beyond what a bedroom experiences. If the bedroom is upstairs or on a wood floor, laminate will probably be cheaper and more suited to the situation.

Consider putting in a good thick 5mm underlay to reduce noise and also replacing skirting boards if you don't want to have scotia strip along the edges to hide the join.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter