Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greenenergy
    • By Greenenergy 19th May 19, 1:36 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Greenenergy
    Smart meters
    • 19th May 19, 1:36 PM
    Smart meters 19th May 19 at 1:36 PM
    I am due to move to a new energy provider. EDF have advised they will install a v2 meter, but British gas confirm if will be a v1 or v2.

Is it the case that different providers still install v1 meters or would British Gas be a v2 also?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 12,552 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:45 PM
    Two different companies EDF and BG .
    Who knows if they are still installing V1.

PS what is a V1 .
    • Greenenergy
    • By Greenenergy 19th May 19, 1:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Greenenergy
    • 19th May 19, 1:58 PM
    • 19th May 19, 1:58 PM
    My understanding is they are both SMETs but V1 cannot easily be moved between providers whereas the V2 can.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th May 19, 3:07 PM
    • 12,552 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th May 19, 3:07 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:07 PM
    Ah V1 is Smets 1.
    Yes Smets 1 may not be movable .
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 19th May 19, 3:10 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 19th May 19, 3:10 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:10 PM
    You are quite correct

V1 = SMETS1
    V2 = SMETS2

Apparently some of the later SMETS1 meters will get a software update to enable them to become smart again with any (most) supplier. When this is likely to happen, no one really seems to know, including the DCC!

A SMETS2 meter should retain its smart capabilities between supplier changes.
    • atticgirl2003
    • By atticgirl2003 19th May 19, 3:36 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    atticgirl2003
    • 19th May 19, 3:36 PM
    • 19th May 19, 3:36 PM
    Any idea when Bulb Energy are rolling out smart meters.
  • Smart Energy GB
    • 20th May 19, 9:56 AM
    • 20th May 19, 9:56 AM
    If you have a smart meter the process for switching suppliers is exactly the same as it is if you have a traditional meter, and you donít need to get new smart meters if you switch suppliers. SMETS 2 meters allow customers to switch suppliers and keep full smart functionality.

We know that many people with a first-generation smart meter retain some or all of their smart function when they switch suppliers. At this point in the rollout you may find that if you switch supplier your smart meter could temporarily lose smart function, and you may need to send in your meter readings in order to get an accurate bill (just as you would with traditional meters).

If your meter loses smart functionality this can be frustrating, but this is a temporary situation. First-generation smart meters which have already been installed will soon be enrolled into the new secure smart data network 'over the air' without needing a visit from an installer. This process is due to start in summer of this year, and is due to be completed by the end of the rollout. These smart meters will then be able to deliver all the benefits of smart, with any supplier.
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Smart Energy GB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 20th May 19, 10:19 AM
    • 4,523 Posts
    • 3,080 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 20th May 19, 10:19 AM
    • 20th May 19, 10:19 AM
    Its summer now !. There are forum members on here who have cast doubt as to the possibility of SMETS1 smart meters being capable of OTA upgrade to SMETS2.
    We eagerly await the first news of this actually happening.
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 20th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Bark01
    • 20th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 20th May 19, 11:58 AM
    Suppliers are no longer allowed to install new S1 meters, do you should get an S2 meter no matter who you are with.

There is a derogation that allows some S1 installs to continue in the north as there are network issues that impact early S2 meters connectivity, but newer S2 meters don’t have that issue so the derogation will end soon
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 20th May 19, 2:38 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    badmemory
    Suppliers are no longer allowed to install new S1 meters, do you should get an S2 meter no matter who you are with.

There is a derogation that allows some S1 installs to continue in the north as there are network issues that impact early S2 meters connectivity, but newer S2 meters donít have that issue so the derogation will end soon
    Originally posted by Bark01

Do you have this in writing - as in will not fit 1st gen meters & must fit 2nd gen meters? Does this mean that any 2nd gen meter fitted must actually work AS a 2nd gen meter?

If you think I don't trust "them" then you would be right. So prove me wrong!
    • Chino
    • By Chino 20th May 19, 9:54 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Chino
    Its summer now !.
    Originally posted by Houbara
    In which country?

"When is summer?
    Summer in the meteorological calendar covers the duration of June, July and August, or by the astronomical calendar it begins around 21 June on a day referred to as the summer solstice.
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/seasons/summer
    • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    • By nxdmsandkaskdjaqd 21st May 19, 5:52 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    If your meter loses smart functionality this can be frustrating, but this is a temporary situation. First-generation smart meters which have already been installed will soon be enrolled into the new secure smart data network 'over the air' without needing a visit from an installer. This process is due to start in summer of this year, and is due to be completed by the end of the rollout. These smart meters will then be able to deliver all the benefits of smart, with any supplier.
    Originally posted by Smart Energy GB
    Smart Energy GB. I initially had installed Landis Gyr smart meters, but had a failure of my electric smart meter which resulted in a Liberty meter being installed. As a result of the change the communication hub used by Landis Gyr was also removed.

Given that I have 2 different types of smart meter and no communications hub, how would propose that I get this issue sorted such that the smart meters function as they should.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 21st May 19, 6:11 AM
    • 10,267 Posts
    • 15,947 Thanks
    worried jim
    Smart people have dumb meters, dumb people have smart meters.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 21st May 19, 6:44 AM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    dogshome
    With the post from Smart Energy GB, I'm sure that everyone is happy that the problems with SMET1 meters will be resolved as SMET2's are introduced, except me that is.

Instead of meters that communicate with just the installing supplier, SMET2 readings will go to a central hub that passes them on to the individual supplier concerned

So who has the Govt selected to run this vital service? - Why Capita of course, that well known service agency who c*cked up Army recruitment, put benefits to the disabled in peril and fouled up Local Authority accounts.

There have been plenty of posts on this site where customers have questioned a bill, to be told "The meter readings are right, PAY THE BILL !" Only for further investigation to show it's The Wrong Meter / Failing Meter / Wrong Account / etc.

With Capita as a third party in the mix, heaven help us all
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 22nd May 19, 3:12 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Bark01
    Do you have this in writing - as in will not fit 1st gen meters & must fit 2nd gen meters? Does this mean that any 2nd gen meter fitted must actually work AS a 2nd gen meter?

If you think I don't trust "them" then you would be right. So prove me wrong!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    https://smartenergycodecompany.co.uk/latest-news/beis-response-to-consultation-on-smets1-end-date/

It just governs the meter, so they can install an S2 in dumb if there are for instance signal issues, but energy suppliers need to prove by the end of 2020 that have taken all reasonable steps to get the meter communicating.

To be clear they can install an S2 in dumb but won’t be able to count it in next years install figures unless it communicates at least once. S1 meters installed during 2019 in dumb or smart mode can not be counted. Except for those covered by the northern region derogation.

It’s in no ones interest to install a dumb smart meter now and then have to rip it out once more advanced S2’s (ie with stronger signal strengths) become available. So I doubt anyone will be installing S2 meters where the signal is low. The DCC provides smart meter signal strength maps for the uk. So suppliers have an idea whether smart will work or not prior to letting the customer book a job.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 22nd May 19, 3:31 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 2,871 Thanks
    matelodave
    They are allowed to still install SMETS1 meters, they just cannot include them in their rollout statistics so you still dont really know what you are going to get.
    Likewise the fact that you've got a SMETS2 meter doesn't actually mean that a new supplier will actually take it on, it just means that it will be communicating with the DCC rather thah the suppliers own legacy network.

The situation regarding enrolling SMETS1 into the DCC is still someones idea of a dream and as far as I can see it will take a lot longer than a year or so to get the millions of SMETS 1 meters, upgraded (even with an over the air software upgrade) especially as not all of them have been certified.

Those that are currently working in a smart mode with their original supplier will get done first because they are already in communication with the supplier so an OTA upgrade should be fairly straightforward.

However, those millions that have changed suppliers (some many times already) will have to have them reactivated, upgrades and enrolled as and when the supplier gets around to it. I cant see that being a top priority unless significant pressure is imposed on the suppliers to get on with it.

Even the dimmest bulb on the xmas tree can see that reconfiguring and swapping 10 million or more meters over isn't a trivial task, especially if there are a good proportion of them that have effectively been "lost".
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 22nd May 19, 7:52 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Bark01
    Why would anyone waste money installing an S1 meter that they can't count towards their Install target? Its difficult enough to get appointments as is, let alone to waste one installing a meter that can never be counted.

If a supplier installs an S1 now (with out derogation) they will be expected to replace it with an S2 before the end of the roll out. To make matters worth they would also have to pay the MAP they leased the S1 from for the premature removal of the S1 meter.

The DCC are sending out the updates to the S1 meters that will enrol them into the DCC not the suppliers and the enrolment is phased based on meter manufacturer, so we should get a good idea how hard change of supply meters will be by the end of the first phase (Aclara and Itorn meters are the first phase)

Can't argue with the fact that it won't be trivial though. Of the meters that have been installed and lost most of them, due to ramp up, should be fairly recent so will hopefully be on newer firmware
    • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    • By nxdmsandkaskdjaqd 24th May 19, 6:26 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    nxdmsandkaskdjaqd

Originally posted by Smart Energy GB
    Smart Energy GB. I initially had installed Landis Gyr smart meters, but had a failure of my electric smart meter which resulted in a Liberty meter being installed. As a result of the change the communication hub used by Landis Gyr was also removed.

Given that I have 2 different types of smart meter and no communications hub, how would propose that I get this issue sorted such that the smart meters function as they should.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 24th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 4,339 Posts
    • 2,766 Thanks
    Robin9
    The Liberty meter has its own hub and should communicate OK with the LG.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • wild666
    • By wild666 24th May 19, 7:55 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    wild666
    I got a Landis Gyr not so smart meter when I went on the free time tariff from British Gas when I changed supplier it still put the free time period reading onto a different read "ACT 2" and the new supplier f**ked up the readings eventually putting the free time reading as my reading but charging me for the other units from the non free time read. I left them and I am still getting units going into a free time read with my newest supplier, Bulb.

I have been asked by Bulb to send a photo of my meter, hopefully Bulb will sort out the readings and might even suggest I have the meter changed for their Smart meters
    Someone please tell me what money is
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,555Posts Today

8,094Users online

Martin's Twitter