Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gingerboris
    • By gingerboris 18th May 19, 5:40 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 5Thanks
    gingerboris
    Remortgage worry after cut in salary
    • 18th May 19, 5:40 AM
    Remortgage worry after cut in salary 18th May 19 at 5:40 AM
    Hi

Our current mortgage deal is up in January. Since the last time we remortgaged weve had a baby and Ive returned to work part time. A reduction in salary of 16k. My husband and I have a combined salary now of 35k. Our debt position is now also much worse and totalling 30k! Im really worried about if we will be able to get a remortgage offer, or if well be repossessed.

We currently owe 160k of a 200k mortgage.

Just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar and advice about where to start. Not sure whether to approach current lender first or get some advice from s mortgage advisor.

My other worry is that even if we do get a new deal we will still have no disposable income so theres a risk out debt will increase further.

Thankyou for reading. Any advice is greatly received.

Ginger
Page 1
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 18th May 19, 5:54 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    julicorn
    • 18th May 19, 5:54 AM
    • 18th May 19, 5:54 AM
    Most lenders offer retention deals without any credit checks. We just got one last weekend with just a few clicks in our online account.
    Maybe you get let us know your current lender, so others who use that one can tell you whether that applies to them as well?

Repossession is only going to be a concern if you're not keeping up payments though. If you do nothing in January, you'd just end up on your lender's SVR instead (usually a fair bit higher than your fixed rate).
    Original mortgage: December 2017, 203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, 201,800
    Current: 169,350
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 18th May 19, 5:56 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    julicorn
    • 18th May 19, 5:56 AM
    • 18th May 19, 5:56 AM
    Missed your last paragraph. Maybe post a statement of affairs, so that people can help you with how to optimise your spending?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th May 19, 9:26 AM
    • 36,308 Posts
    • 22,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 18th May 19, 9:26 AM
    • 18th May 19, 9:26 AM
    retention deal most likely your best option.

which lender, what's your current mortgage, full amount, rate, term payment.

your real problem is you are spending too much.
    SOA
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    and Debt-Free wanabee
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

With around 2kper month coming in you need to work on where it is going.
    • gingerboris
    • By gingerboris 18th May 19, 10:07 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gingerboris
    • 18th May 19, 10:07 AM
    • 18th May 19, 10:07 AM
    Hi,

I will write a more detailed response shortly but just wanted to say Thankyou for your replies. Good to hear a retention deal may be possible. We’re with Nationwide. Re where the money is going, 600 a month is on debt repayments. Most are in 0 %. We’ve cut everything else back to the bone and cancelled any unnecessary spending..eg TV subscriptions.
    Not sure what a statement of affairs is! I’ll google .

Best wishes

Ginger
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 18th May 19, 10:14 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    julicorn
    • 18th May 19, 10:14 AM
    • 18th May 19, 10:14 AM
    getmore4less posted a statement of affairs/ SOA link above, that saves you the search
    • ACG
    • By ACG 18th May 19, 10:24 AM
    • 19,027 Posts
    • 10,616 Thanks
    ACG
    • 18th May 19, 10:24 AM
    • 18th May 19, 10:24 AM
    Providing you make your payments you will not be repossessed.

You may struggle to get a mortgage elsewhere so will be stuck with your current lender but there is no harm in looking elsewhere first.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 36,308 Posts
    • 22,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 18th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 18th May 19, 10:57 AM
    Nationwide are OK for retention deals might not be the best around at the time but won't be far off.
    • gingerboris
    • By gingerboris 18th May 19, 11:09 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gingerboris
    • 18th May 19, 11:09 AM
    • 18th May 19, 11:09 AM
    Thanks again. And for posting link to SOA.

Ideally Id like to extend our term so that we can lower the monthly payments for a few years while we tackle the debt. Husband wants us to borrow more to consolidate debt but I dont think there is much chance of that! And Id like to avoid having extra debt secured against home.

I will post SOA once my daughter is asleep!

Thanks again.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th May 19, 11:20 AM
    • 36,308 Posts
    • 22,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Best to move to the Debt board for the SOA.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 18th May 19, 11:43 AM
    • 63,554 Posts
    • 56,337 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Ideally Id like to extend our term so that we can lower the monthly payments for a few years while we tackle the debt. Husband wants us to borrow more to consolidate debt but I dont think there is much chance of that! And Id like to avoid having extra debt secured against home.
    Originally posted by gingerboris
    As difficult and challenging as the current situation is. Kicking the can down the road doesn't solve the issue. Merely defers it. Face everything head on. I recall the days when money was tight and walked around Sainsburys with a calculator in my hand. Had a budget and stuck to it. Amazing what can be achieved when one puts ones mind to it. Teaches oneself lessons that you'll never wish to repeat. Remember put the mortgage before unsecured debts.

Plenty of free advice and support at

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/

Which is a Government funded charity.
    The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient. Warren Buffett
    • gingerboris
    • By gingerboris 18th May 19, 5:07 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gingerboris
    Thanks everyone. I’ve posted my SOA in the debt free wannabe board and will look into retention deals with nationwide .

Best wishes

Ginger
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,499Posts Today

7,036Users online

Martin's Twitter