Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 22,824Posts
    • 18,831Thanks
    agrinnall
    Charity doorstep collection
    • 17th May 19, 8:58 PM
    Charity doorstep collection 17th May 19 at 8:58 PM
    Do any of them actually do what they say they will?

I had a clear out of clothes a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have put them in bags provided by 3 different collectors, and put the bags out on the days they say they will collect, but not one of them has actually bothered to turn up. So all they're doing is shoving plastic through my letter box that ends up in landfill and the charity gets no benefit.

To name and shame, the 3 that have let me down are:

Treating Children with Cancer
    Clothes Aid (for NSPCC)
    Breast Cancer Research Aid
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 17th May 19, 9:08 PM
    • 17,297 Posts
    • 13,478 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 17th May 19, 9:08 PM
    • 17th May 19, 9:08 PM
    If they are the genuine bags, there are scammers who create bags and aren't the real charity.
    Would it be possible for you to drop directly to the charity, they make much more money that way.

https://fundraising.co.uk/2011/12/13/how-spot-bogus-charity-bag-collection/

http://www.charitybags.org.uk/treating_children_with_cancer_charity_tcwc.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/mobile/uk/7117646.stm

http://breastcancerresearchaid.org.uk/clothing-collection/
    Last edited by hollydays; 17-05-2019 at 9:20 PM.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 18th May 19, 3:23 AM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 18th May 19, 3:23 AM
    • 18th May 19, 3:23 AM
    Salvation Army did this to me - twice. After promising to send somebody after I phoned to complain they still never bothered.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 18th May 19, 11:52 AM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 18th May 19, 11:52 AM
    • 18th May 19, 11:52 AM
    Around here they rarely turn up on the day suggested by their leaflets. On at least one occasion when someone has turned up later and been told the bag has gone in the bin they have got quite stroppy and then resentful/sulky when I say they have just guaranteed that I won't use their bags in future whatever.
    • tgon
    • By tgon 18th May 19, 1:46 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    tgon
    • 18th May 19, 1:46 PM
    • 18th May 19, 1:46 PM
    I rarely put out filled charity bags because they are either not collected on the day or the full bag is just plain stolen. Charity bags that use 3rd party collection agents on the claim they donate a percentage the charity normally end up in my rubbish bin for kitchen waste because I don’t trust them and putting an unfilled bag out for reuse is never collected.

I take charitable items directly to a locally registered address and cut out the middleman or chance of theft.
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 18th May 19, 1:47 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Trina90
    • 18th May 19, 1:47 PM
    • 18th May 19, 1:47 PM
    They are often posted here and then never collected. More times they are left than collected.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    2017: £116,000
    2018: £105,000
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 18th May 19, 1:57 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 6,660 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 18th May 19, 1:57 PM
    • 18th May 19, 1:57 PM
    We usually donate to the British Heart Foundation, and our local collector is very good. We just have to ring him to arrange for a collection.

Sadly, he told us that they are no longer doing ad hoc bag drop offs/door step collections any more due to the number of times 'men in an unmarked van' have got to the bags first.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th May 19, 2:02 PM
    • 11,922 Posts
    • 10,411 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 18th May 19, 2:02 PM
    • 18th May 19, 2:02 PM
    I must be lucky! Bags here are always collected on the day stated.

The only problem I've had is when I've put books in a clothes collection bag, which did state "we now take books" and it wasn't collected whereas neighbours' bags with clothes were collected. E-mailed collection firm who did collect a few days later. I assumed someone had neglected to tell the van driver that they now accepted books.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 18th May 19, 2:13 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 18th May 19, 2:13 PM
    • 18th May 19, 2:13 PM
    When do you put them out. Most of the colelctors around here come around 5am.

I just use the bags they provide for rubbish.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 18th May 19, 2:13 PM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 7,229 Thanks
    sillygoose
    I rarely put out filled charity bags because they are either not collected on the day or the full bag is just plain stolen. Charity bags that use 3rd party collection agents on the claim they donate a percentage the charity normally end up in my rubbish bin for kitchen waste because I donít trust them and putting an unfilled bag out for reuse is never collected.

I take charitable items directly to a locally registered address and cut out the middleman or chance of theft.
    Originally posted by tgon
    Totally agree, my local charity shop gets the money for the items sold directly, they even email to say how much the stuff made and to say thanks. Most those collection bags are near a scam, charity get a pittance.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
    • elle may
    • By elle may 18th May 19, 4:54 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    elle may
    I take the good ones to our local charity shop and fill the bags with the crap ones you can't resell. I was getting fed up with vans not from the charities collecting them first.
    • Claddagh_Noir
    • By Claddagh_Noir 18th May 19, 5:33 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Claddagh_Noir
    I never use those bags for 'charity' because half the time, the charities are bogus. I use them as bin liners.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 19th May 19, 12:02 AM
    • 10,941 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I only ever put stuff out for the local Air Ambulance Charity as they are the only ones who collect themselves and the stuff goes directly to the shops. I’ve just given 6 big bags of stuff to the BHF who I arranged a collection with and they popped a docket through my door to confirm collection which I was impressed with.
    All of the scam bags as I call them are just binned.
    Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate; MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10/18, BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and DE100.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Our Civil Partnership is booked for 15/02/20
    Miss you always JV
    Elle
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 19th May 19, 7:32 AM
    • 17,297 Posts
    • 13,478 Thanks
    hollydays
    I only ever put stuff out for the local Air Ambulance Charity as they are the only ones who collect themselves and the stuff goes directly to the shops. I’ve just given 6 big bags of stuff to the BHF who I arranged a collection with and they popped a docket through my door to confirm collection which I was impressed with.
    All of the scam bags as I call them are just binned.
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    Just to let you know I once volunteered for an air ambulance charity, and it definitely didn't go directly to the shops.The staff weren't aware of it, in general, but it went to the ubiquitous sorting hub owned by a third party and the air ambulance got a pittance.They don't shout about this.

This is how they phrase it on one site
    Look out for one of our clothing bags dropping onto your doormat. Simply fill it up with your unwanted clothes, bags and shoes – we’ll collect it and turn it into cash to fund our vital services.

Some of the items you give will go on sale in our charity boutiques, and others will be sold on our behalf. We raise a fantastic £105 per tonne for everything collected.
    Last edited by hollydays; 19-05-2019 at 7:38 AM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 19th May 19, 7:40 AM
    • 17,297 Posts
    • 13,478 Thanks
    hollydays
    This explains it
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/aug/31/charity-bags-doorsteps-sold-abroad

"In some cases charities are getting £50 to £100 a tonne of goods collected when, in fact, the goods can sell abroad for anything up to £1,800 a tonne. This is now a lucrative industry, with householders inundated with charity bags as firms chase millions of pounds of profits from the trade.

The poll by the BHF showed 70% of the charity bags an average householder receives are from commercial companies.

But 65% of those polled were not aware these commercial companies exist and mistakenly thought all of the money raised goes to good causes.

When householders were told of the arrangement, the BHF said 85% of them felt "shocked, cheated and disheartened".
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th May 19, 8:18 AM
    • 22,618 Posts
    • 61,195 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I make sure the items I no longer want go to the charity of my choice (local hospice) by taking them in person.

I wish there was a way to stop these bags being pushed through my door.

I don't use them for anything as they are flimsy and have holes in so no good for bin bags.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 19th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Boohoo
    I make sure the items I no longer want go to the charity of my choice (local hospice) by taking them in person.

I wish there was a way to stop these bags being pushed through my door.

I don't use them for anything as they are flimsy and have holes in so no good for bin bags.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Last year my neighbour who thinks these collections are going to a good cause always puts something into these bags for collecting from her doorstep.

This time she put it out at midnight and about 8 am she noticed that the bag had been opened and the contents thrown all over her doorstep and part of the drive. She said it may have been foxes.

A neighbour over the road has cctv and i told him about her and he went through the footage and it turned out it 2 people at about 5:30am went tor her house and ripped open the bag and went through the contents and took 3 or 4 items and then they went 2 doors down and done the same.

After looking at the cctv he went and looked at the street and every one of the bags that were put out were opened and thrown all over the place.

She reported it to the police and after a month she called back and was told there was nothing they could do and the case closed.

Now 90% of our street will now put anything out in these bags but call BHF who come out and collect stuff from our street on the same day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th May 19, 10:04 AM
    • 22,618 Posts
    • 61,195 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Last year my neighbour who thinks these collections are going to a good cause always puts something into these bags for collecting from her doorstep.

This time she put it out at midnight and about 8 am she noticed that the bag had been opened and the contents thrown all over her doorstep and part of the drive. She said it may have been foxes.

A neighbour over the road has cctv and i told him about her and he went through the footage and it turned out it 2 people at about 5:30am went tor her house and ripped open the bag and went through the contents and took 3 or 4 items and then they went 2 doors down and done the same.

After looking at the cctv he went and looked at the street and every one of the bags that were put out were opened and thrown all over the place.

She reported it to the police and after a month she called back and was told there was nothing they could do and the case closed.

Now 90% of our street will now put anything out in these bags but call BHF who come out and collect stuff from our street on the same day.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    That's why I won't put clothes out on my doorstep.

I'm usually around the village most days so I just fill my shopping trolley and make the hospice shop my first port of call.
    • Februarycat
    • By Februarycat 19th May 19, 12:55 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    Februarycat
    I have not had any problems with them not collecting on the day, but they do collect them early, I usually put the bag out as soon as I get up and most times its gone by 8-9am.
    OnePoll = £40.00 11/3/16 - £40 28/12/17
    £25.00 11/10/18
    Pureprofile = £25.00 16/3/19
    PanelOpinion = £10.59 4.1.19
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th May 19, 4:08 PM
    • 34,391 Posts
    • 21,741 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Ive never seen a van come round for bags people leave out, granted I don't sit at the window but I can hear vans who have to turn round as its a cul de sac.

I don wonder if they collect them as indicated on the bag.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

613Posts Today

5,720Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin