Help! money barn wont cancel my finance agreement

lamcg
lamcg Posts: 6 Forumite
i am hoping to get some advice from anyone that can help, im at my whits end with this situation. my complaint has recieved my final response from money barn and is now with the ombudsman but can take upto 2 months just for them to appoint an advisor to me to help..

I purchased a vehicle (BMW 3 series 2.0TD M Sport business edition) from Evans Halshaw on 22nd December 2018. I traded my old car in as deposit of £1289.99. The cash price of the car was £5289.99 and total amount re-payable including APR £7478.34.

On 29th March 2019 the clutch started sticking in the car, it done this for approximately 5 minutes then the car broke down. It had to be recovered to a local garage at the cost of £35 and has remained there since. Once the car was at the garage it was inspected by the mechanic who quoted a repair price of £4271.65. I contacted Evans halshaw who advised me I was covered under warranty and could get it fixed free of charge. They sent me over the warranty which stated I was only covered for £500 of the payment through extended warranty. I again contacted Evans Halshaw who said there was nothing they could do and I would need to contact my finance company. It took until 17th April to get that far into resolving the issue.

I contacted money barn who advised me they would arrange for an independent mechanic from ACE (Automotive Consulting Engineers LTD) to inspect the car and see who was at fault, if it was Evans halshaw then they would fix the car at cost to them.

The mechanic visited the garage CJ Autosport on 29/04/2019. Money barn states that a full and thorough inspection was carried out to conclude their extensive report. The mechanic at CJ autosport advised me different and he said the mechanic from ACE spent no more than a few minutes under the bonnet of the car and said there was nothing he could do about it. The car was not thoroughly inspected, it was not placed on a ramp. The extent of his visit was opening the bonnet, looking in at the engine and closing it again.

Money barn sent me a final response on 13th May 2019 stating the car was damaged due to wear and tear and full responsibility for repair was mine.

I have currently paid £2002 towards this car with a further £178 being taken on 28th each month. I only managed to drive it for 13 weeks before it broke down with damage amounting to almost the cars worth. I contacted money barn again who refused to take the car back and refused to cancel my agreement. The call handler advised me that full repair responsibility was on me and I also had to continue my monthly payments for the next 3 years.

I am not well off, I purchased this car for security for my child and my job as my son attends school in a different town and my job requires me to drive to a suppliers twice a week an hours drive away. I am currently left with no car, I have to drive my disabled fathers car to get to work, supplies and my son to school. My father needs to be present in the car when I drive it and his mobility car terms only allow a small allowance for mileage per annum. The miles I am putting on the car are very stressful for myself and my father, the amount of time I need to have my father in the car is also stressful and damaging to his body as he isn’t allowed to sit for too long. On the days I can’t get the car I need to get buses and taxis at extra cost to me. The finance company advised me if I cancel my payments they will re posses the car and hold me liable for the remainder of my contract anyway. This will also affect my credit rating and my ability to finance a more reliable car in future.

This situation has been very expensive, stressful and damaging to my mental health. It is predicted to carry on for the foreseeable and I am struggling to afford payments for a car fit for the scrap yard along with payments to my fathers insurance, petrol, bus and taxi expenses.

has anyone else had a similar experience that can tell me what to do? all i want is my agreement cancelled and my money returned to purchase a more reliable car without this hassle and my credit rating being affected.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 May 2019 at 5:25PM
    Are moneybarn just the finance company?

If so isn't your issue is with Evans Halshaw, the people who actually sold you the car? The finance company just lend you the money, it's not their problem whether its working or not?
    What was the length if the warranty when you bought it if you've only had it a few months and they're talking about the extended warranty?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • lamcg
    I thought this initially but apparently because my car is on hire purchase, the car is owned by the finance company and Evans Halshaw are refusing responsibility..
  • lamcg
    the warranty was for 3 months and extended warranty for 10 or 20 thousand miles ill need to double check the warranty. I will call evans halshaw again tomorrow to try and get more info but as far as its gone for the past month or so, theyre refusing responsibility and said the complaint needs to be made through the finance company, which I done and they investigated and said they couldn't uphold the complaint because the mechanic has provided a report in favour of evans halshaw..
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    lamcg wrote: »
    . I am currently left with no car, I have to drive my disabled fathers car to get to work, supplies and my son to school. My father needs to be present in the car when I drive it and his mobility car terms only allow a small allowance for mileage per annum. The miles I am putting on the car are very stressful for myself and my father, the amount of time I need to have my father in the car is also stressful and damaging to his body as he isn’t allowed to sit for too long. ....

You are misinformed. Inter alia, Motability require that;

The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit

https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/how-your-car-can-be-used/

In using the car for your benefit, you are in breach of Motability's t&cs, irrespective of your father's presence in the car, so you might as well leave him at home, and spare him the stress involved.
  • lamcg
    Thankyou for that information. The mobility company informed us my father must be present so I’ll need to make a call to them too to ask if I was mis informed. It I was it solves a huge problem with my father but leaves me in a more difficult situation with the car if I’m breaching t&c
  • benbay001
    benbay001 Posts: 408
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thankyou for that information. The mobility company informed us my father must be present so I’ll need to make a call to them too to ask if I was mis informed. It I was it solves a huge problem with my father but leaves me in a more difficult situation with the car if I’m breaching t&c
    Stop on the way home and buy your dad a pack of chewing gum. That way he is benefiting from your journey. Yes, im totally serious.
    Im A Budding Neil Woodford.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    benbay001 wrote: »
    Stop on the way home and buy your dad a pack of chewing gum. That way he is benefiting from your journey. Yes, im totally serious.

Why not?:)

I've never heard of plod pulling over a car because it's pinged on ANPR as Motability. I'd guess that Motability would only find out if somebody grassed up the OP, or the car was involved in an accident and it was obvious.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We have a motability car for our daughter. She does not need to be present for every journey. It just wouldn't be possible. We couldn't pick her up from school if it was the case, as she wouldn't be in the car while we drove from our home to her school!
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • lamcg
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Changes a lot for the short term issue with my father so that’s something. Chewing gum though lol?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    What exactly is wrong with the car? The only thing you mention is the clutch and a new clutch doesn't cost £4271.65.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure