Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • antuk
    • By antuk 17th May 19, 9:37 AM
    • 272Posts
    • 43Thanks
    antuk
    Barclaycard - Reapplying
    • 17th May 19, 9:37 AM
    Barclaycard - Reapplying 17th May 19 at 9:37 AM
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if Barclaycard have changed their policy on the blackout period after cancelling before you can reapply?

I can't remember exactly when I closed my account, it was sometime last year. The credit file has backdated it to when I last used the card which was March 2018 but it wasnt closed until much later than that.

Im trying to work out when I can reapply, its not 6 months from that march date as they currently say I dont qualify....

Thanks,
    Anthony
Page 1
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th May 19, 9:57 AM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 17th May 19, 9:57 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:57 AM
    It's 6 months from the date the account was closed that you can reapply.

Who has said you don't qualify? Have you tried to make an application and it's been rejected?

If you call them up, they'll tell you the date you closed your account.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • antuk
    • By antuk 17th May 19, 10:24 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    antuk
    • 17th May 19, 10:24 AM
    • 17th May 19, 10:24 AM
    I used the eligibility checker and I meet all the other requirements so it must be the length of time since the card has been closed
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th May 19, 10:32 AM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 17th May 19, 10:32 AM
    • 17th May 19, 10:32 AM
    Did you use the eligibility checker on Barclaycard's own website or the MSE one?

Do you hold more than 1 Barclaycard? You are only allowed to have 1 now in total.

I would call them and see what they say.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 17th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    shiny76
    • 17th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:25 AM
    Did you use the eligibility checker on Barclaycard's own website or the MSE one?

Do you hold more than 1 Barclaycard? You are only allowed to have 1 now in total.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    I had the same issue as the OP. Both eligibility checkers said I wouldn't be offered a card despite not having a Barclaycard for >12 months.

I just chose an alternative provider.
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 17th May 19, 11:28 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    shiny76
    • 17th May 19, 11:28 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:28 AM
    I used the eligibility checker and I meet all the other requirements so it must be the length of time since the card has been closed
    Originally posted by antuk
    Not necessarily. They may view your credit history or other credit as not attractive to them.

Not suggesting you have negative history or exposure, just that it may not fit with the lending strategy BC are employing
    • Pablo2010
    • By Pablo2010 17th May 19, 1:15 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Pablo2010
    • 17th May 19, 1:15 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:15 PM
    Do you hold more than 1 Barclaycard? You are only allowed to have 1 now in total. Originally posted by Candyapple

Some customers may be allowed to have 2 cards, like me
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th May 19, 1:52 PM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 2,683 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 17th May 19, 1:52 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:52 PM
    Do you hold more than 1 Barclaycard? You are only allowed to have 1 now in total. Originally posted by Candyapple

Some customers may be allowed to have 2 cards, like me
    Originally posted by Pablo2010
    I think you misread what I meant. Existing customers who hold any number of Barclaycards are not affected, only if you are a new Barclaycard customer you are limited to only having 1 card. They do sometimes relax this rule and allow you to apply for a second card, but they havenít changed their rules for a few years now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,091Posts Today

6,422Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin