Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 14th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 160Posts
    • 26Thanks
    noclaf
    Sub 100 combi drill for DIY beginner
    • 14th May 19, 2:44 PM
    Sub 100 combi drill for DIY beginner 14th May 19 at 2:44 PM
    As above really, looking to 'invest' in a drill which is durable and can be used for a range for DIY jobs..mainly inside the house but something that can handle masonry too on the outside of house/in garage etc
    I always thought Bosch were the be all and everything but with so many other brands now it's paralysis by analysis. Makita seem a bit pricey..DeWalt look a good shout too.
    I am a DIY noob hence keeping it sensible with budget..cheaper the better really but not so bad that it falls to bits after a few uses.
Page 2
    • stator
    • By stator 15th May 19, 8:23 AM
    • 7,226 Posts
    • 5,007 Thanks
    stator
    My Ryobi stuff has never failed so far.
    I buy extra tools on gumtree so now I have a collection and they all use the same batteries.

The LIDL range is supposed to be good value for money, but they don't always sell it
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 15th May 19, 3:23 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    Depends if you just want a drill or then later add to it.

Lot of the premium brands do good offers on combi drills to get people in to buying other tools compatible with the battery platform.

Have a look at the Aldi Ferrex stuff as well. Look like they're made by the same company that makes a lot of stuff sold by Screwfix (Titan, Erbauer etc)
    • cybervic
    • By cybervic 16th May 19, 1:46 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    cybervic
    I bought this last year for renovating a flat. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L3XK06C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I absolutely love it, light weight and easy to use, Lithium-ion battery doesn't lose power for several month, good for general DIY.
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 16th May 19, 8:24 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    noclaf
    What about.something like this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7235548
    Not buying from Argos necessarily but as an example a 50 simple corded Bosch....should be able to easily manage the light stuff and tougher masonry while being durable in the long-term? I don't mind spending more.but curious how powerful this model would be and.whether it's better to spend a bit more etc
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 16th May 19, 8:34 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    troffasky
    I had originally wanted a corded drill as I didn't believe in all that battery nonsense but realised that corded combi drills pretty much don't exist and ended up with a Makita LXT DHP458 drill. And now I have LXT work lamp, impact driver and circular saw. Not exactly money saving advice, I know, but I am pretty sure I'll still be able to get batteries 10 years hence.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 17th May 19, 7:48 AM
    • 8,709 Posts
    • 7,575 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    What about.something like this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7235548
    Not buying from Argos necessarily but as an example a 50 simple corded Bosch....should be able to easily manage the light stuff and tougher masonry while being durable in the long-term? I don't mind spending more.but curious how powerful this model would be and.whether it's better to spend a bit more etc
    Originally posted by noclaf
    My 550w skil drill is very similar and in 20 years has only once failed to drill a hole which was in concrete but in 20 years I've only once needed to drill into concrete. I've got various green Bosch tools and have always found them very good for the price.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 17th May 19, 11:20 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    noclaf
    I think it's likely will go for something from Makita/DeWalt/Ryobi/Bosch...depending.on the deals that come up. They all offer solid options based on the reviews and feedback on here too.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 17th May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 7,524 Posts
    • 11,028 Thanks
    spadoosh
    If youre spending 100 on a multipurpose drill your just not really going to go far wrong. Just keep it towards the higher powers (18v+) and ideally get a second battery because inevitably when you want to use it youll find the battery flat or close to. This is particularly true with retail drills, they have a lower ah rating which is in relation to the capacity of the battery. A 2ah battery will hold half as much charge as a 4ah battery. Places like B&Q tend to sell the retail batteries usually around 1.3ah where as the trade batteries are more usually around 4ah. Youll probably pay more for a 4ah battery than you would 2 smaller retail ones.

Be careful with the batteries on li ion drills, they dont like being left on low charge, so give it a bit of a charge before storing it for a while.

SDS is almost certainly going to be overkill unless you plan on drilling core holes (mainly for installing waste pipes and extractor vents) or you have particularly dense brick like accrington. You can usually hire the relevant equipment should it be needed.

Ive got quite a lot of tools and have sold many many more, realistically theres much over muchness between brands, my combi is a makita but id be just as happy using a dewalt or a bosch drill (although i tend not to like the cosmetics of bosch power tools).
    Don't be angry!
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 17th May 19, 3:15 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    I think it's likely will go for something from Makita/DeWalt/Ryobi/Bosch...depending.on the deals that come up. They all offer solid options based on the reviews and feedback on here too.
    Don't discount Hitachi (now called HiKoki). They've been pushing the technology to get their head above the usual brand names. I'm very happy with their stuff.
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 17th May 19, 4:10 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    noclaf
    Don't discount Hitachi (now called HiKoki). They've been pushing the technology to get their head above the usual brand names. I'm very happy with their stuff.
    Originally posted by JimmyChanga
    They have been pushing their prices upto by the looks of it!!!
    • patman99
    • By patman99 18th May 19, 8:05 PM
    • 8,297 Posts
    • 9,907 Thanks
    patman99
    I think most of the main brands learned their lessons with regards to changing battery designs a few years back. Ryobi, Makita, Bosch etc have committed to keeping the same pack, even if the tech inside changes.

For instance, I can pick up a blue Ryobi with push-in NiCad pack and use my Li-ion packs on it with no issues.

The Ferrex range is made by Worx, so the batteries are interchangeable with Worx stuff.

As for weight not being an issue, try holding 2 bags of sugar at arms length for 5 minutes, then do the same with just one.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 13.74/ 1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF 0/3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 8,151 Posts
    • 54,038 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Meant to say, if you go to somewhere like B&Q, go round to their trade counter. The drill I particularly wanted was not with the Retail display it was on the Trade counter. The Retail sets looked the same but didn't have quite as powerful a battery as the Trade one which was the same price.
    No need to have any Trade card / proof to get it....or at least I didn't.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

274Posts Today

5,565Users online

Martin's Twitter