Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 14th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 160Posts
    • 26Thanks
    noclaf
    Sub 100 combi drill for DIY beginner
    • 14th May 19, 2:44 PM
    Sub 100 combi drill for DIY beginner 14th May 19 at 2:44 PM
    As above really, looking to 'invest' in a drill which is durable and can be used for a range for DIY jobs..mainly inside the house but something that can handle masonry too on the outside of house/in garage etc
    I always thought Bosch were the be all and everything but with so many other brands now it's paralysis by analysis. Makita seem a bit pricey..DeWalt look a good shout too.
    I am a DIY noob hence keeping it sensible with budget..cheaper the better really but not so bad that it falls to bits after a few uses.
Page 1
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 14th May 19, 3:24 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 14th May 19, 3:24 PM
    • 14th May 19, 3:24 PM
    This is supposed to be OK though I've never used it or anything else by the brand

https://www.diy.com/departments/erbauer-ext-cordless-18v-4ah-lithium-ion-brushless-combi-drill-1-battery-ecd18-li-1/3663602798552_BQ.prd

This is way way over your budget but does come with a shedload of bits and other stuff if you were planning on buying them anyway

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453smwx-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill-101-accessories/8194j
    • naf123
    • By naf123 14th May 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    naf123
    • 14th May 19, 3:29 PM
    • 14th May 19, 3:29 PM
    Titan from screwfix is great. The key is to buy the correct drill bits for masonry etc.
    • Rusty Shackleton
    • By Rusty Shackleton 14th May 19, 3:52 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Rusty Shackleton
    • 14th May 19, 3:52 PM
    • 14th May 19, 3:52 PM
    when I bought my first house a couple years ago I went with a Ryobi one+ drill as it was on offer with the batteries. Funnily enough, B&Q have got the drill, battery and charger on sale for 62, which is a steal (for comparison Amazon have the drill, no battery or charger for 53) if it's in stock near you.

I've used it extensively and it's still going strong, and Ryobi batteries regularly appear in Amazons sales, I've picked up a 4 and 5 amp at points to go wtih my circular saw, jigsaw etc. that I've added to my collection. I've been v happy with the Ryobi stuff
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 14th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 14th May 19, 4:13 PM
    • 14th May 19, 4:13 PM
    A Dewalt Combi drill from B&Q will suit you very well. They are currently selling two models: 75 with one battery and 100 with two batteries. The motors aren't brushless and the chucks are plastic coated rather than the all-metal construction found on more expensive models, but for personal use these drills are very good. A second battery comes in useful if you are trying to use them professionally, but the batteries last so long that for any home DIY job, you won't run a battery down.

They are quite heavy though, so harder to use for delicate work than the smaller format units where the battery fits up inside the handle.

Ryobi kit is also good value and quite robust for DIY.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 14th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    noclaf
    • 14th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 14th May 19, 4:22 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a smaller el cheapo basic drill which is fine inside the house but unsuitable for masonry, concrete etc.
    Im not from the building trade..let's just say DIY was never my forte however starting to.appreciate it a bit more and both saves.money and is quite satisfying doing the basic jobs yourself.
    I have mixed feelings about Ryobi quality and some of the 'own brands' however not averse to considering them so will see what's out there. I am quite familiar with DeWalt and Makita..both v solid brands but with the Makita you certainly.pay for it!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th May 19, 4:38 PM
    • 10,521 Posts
    • 14,788 Thanks
    -taff
    • 14th May 19, 4:38 PM
    • 14th May 19, 4:38 PM
    I've got a green Bosch 18v one, it's done every surface in the house without any problems - bought when on offer in B&Q to replace another one when I broke the motor. so now I have two batteries for the former] I have got a particular brand of masonry bits though, which make it a lot easier...Can't remember what they're called but they have a v shaped end not a blunt end.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 14th May 19, 4:42 PM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 14th May 19, 4:42 PM
    • 14th May 19, 4:42 PM
    If you already have a basic cordless drill, I would spend the money on a corded SDS drill. I bought the Bosch GBH 2-26 a couple of years ago, and it is fantastic. You can get the 240v model for 80 delivered, and a set of Dewalt SDS bits from Screwfix for less than 20.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 14th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    noclaf
    • 14th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 14th May 19, 5:46 PM
    If you already have a basic cordless drill, I would spend the money on a corded SDS drill. I bought the Bosch GBH 2-26 a couple of years ago, and it is fantastic. You can get the 240v model for 80 delivered, and a set of Dewalt SDS bits from Screwfix for less than 20.
    Originally posted by tacpot12
    You raise a good point..though wondering if an SDS will be overkill? I assume SDS need SDS-specific drill bits or is it interchangeable?
    • stuart45
    • By stuart45 14th May 19, 5:59 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    stuart45
    You can get an adapter for as little as 5 from Toolstation so your SDS can take wood and metal bits, as long as you don't use masonry bits with the hammer on. I saw a corded SDS Parkside in Lidls the other day for 40.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 10,103 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    You raise a good point..though wondering if an SDS will be overkill?
    Originally posted by noclaf
    Not for any work in masonry. SDS with a good bit will go through house brick like a knife through butter. Through engineering brick or concrete like a knife through very hard butter.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • James1968
    • By James1968 14th May 19, 8:14 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    James1968
    Aldi's Workzone Titanium are worth a look. If you are intending to expand your tool collection as your DIY skills improve, and you intend to go cordless then the Ryobi range are worth a look with their 3 year warranty. Makita are expensive in comparison and based on tradesmen i know, not as well built as they used to be and they only have a1 year warranty.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th May 19, 8:50 PM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 4,034 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Aldi have a new range of cordless tools using 20/40 volt batteries [checks] called Ferrex. I bought the hedge trimmer and angle grinder and have already used the former. They seem well made and the hedge trimmer worked well and have a 3year warranty (2 years for the battery). Might be worth a look. The bare drill is 20, battery charger 15 and batteries are 15 (20v) or 30 (dual 20/40v).
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 14th May 19, 9:46 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    Problem with cordless is future availability of replacement batteries - I had to bin 3 Axminster White perfectly good combi drills as I could not longer get replacement batteries, and re-celling each pack would cost over 50 - I had 7!!

For your use I'd highly recommend the Metabo 10.8V combi - I have both that and the 18V version - which I have hardly used since I got the 10.8V one, and also bought one for my SIL which he loves (and he also has a Makita 18V). Metal gears, and availability of replacement batteries for many years to come - plus compatability with other Metabo 10.8V tools (I have a sabre saw as well!). Keep an eye on the FFX website for deals.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th May 19, 9:48 PM
    • 8,147 Posts
    • 54,016 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Slightly over your budget but I upgraded to this from a cheapo Argos one, so far it's been great though haven't challenged it too much.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776d2t-gb-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-cordless-combi-drill/899cf

As well as the drill, the drill bits can make a massive difference, a very competent DIYer recommended me these, being multipurpose you don't need to change if you're drilling through multiple materials

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-multipurpose-drill-bit-set-4pcs/95958
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th May 19, 7:21 AM
    • 8,705 Posts
    • 7,567 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Pointless buying a second cordless drill for occasional diy work. An equivalent corded drill will be much cheaper, always ready to use and won't need to be thrown away when its battery fails.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th May 19, 7:22 AM
    • 67,255 Posts
    • 394,206 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm sure you're big/strong enough, but, before you buy, just try holding it at shoulder height, then above, for 2-3 minutes.... I bought a drill, got it home, out of the box, couldn't even pick it up
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 15th May 19, 7:30 AM
    • 5,872 Posts
    • 13,583 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    For drilling brick / block you want a corded SDS. A normal hammer action drill will do it, but very slowly on the harder materials - frustratingly slowly at times.

I'm doing major refurbishment on my house which pretty much hadn't been touched in over forty years and have a 3kg Makita which cost just over 100 and has served me well after the 5kg "Titan" bargain basement special packed up.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 15th May 19, 7:48 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    noclaf
    Point taken guys on long-term benefits of corded/SDS rather than cordless so will look into those. Not massively fussed about weight but ideally don't want anything with hernia inducing mass
    Im hoping given the.popularity of cordless there might be some.good deals on corded models so will keep a lookout.
    • naf123
    • By naf123 15th May 19, 7:49 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    naf123
    For drilling brick / block you want a corded SDS. A normal hammer action drill will do it, but very slowly on the harder materials - frustratingly slowly at times.

I'm doing major refurbishment on my house which pretty much hadn't been touched in over forty years and have a 3kg Makita which cost just over 100 and has served me well after the 5kg "Titan" bargain basement special packed up.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    It may be bargain basement but how can you go wrong with the 2 year guarantee by Screwfix?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

6,518Users online

Martin's Twitter