Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackeeBoy
    • By JackeeBoy 13th May 19, 3:26 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 42Thanks
    JackeeBoy
    Is there a bonafide way to stop cats and foxes coming into my garden?
    • 13th May 19, 3:26 PM
    Is there a bonafide way to stop cats and foxes coming into my garden? 13th May 19 at 3:26 PM
    It's one of the main things stopping me from enjoying my garden. It's now especially more disgusting now that I have artificial grass. I have tried using the sound blasters etc., but cats keep coming in and I swear then pick on my garden. I just wish owners were more considerate and kept their bloody pests inside.

I have put spikes around on the fence and though it did initially deter them from using certain entry points, the always find a way around or just get used to it. What can I do?

The only thing I can think of is getting very high fences (I can currently see over mine) and putting prison-style barbedwire all over.
Page 1
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 13th May 19, 5:28 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    • 13th May 19, 5:28 PM
    • 13th May 19, 5:28 PM
    If you have artificial grass, sprinkle a load of ground black pepper over it. They don't like sniffing it (who does!). It worked on a patch of gravel outside a flat I once lived in. Of course, if your patch is very big, you may need a lot of pepper
    • naf123
    • By naf123 13th May 19, 7:17 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    naf123
    • 13th May 19, 7:17 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:17 PM
    I've heard if you get the male of the house to urinate around the garden it would mark your territory from the cats and foxes
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 13th May 19, 7:19 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 13th May 19, 7:19 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:19 PM
    Pee and black pepper around the boundary lines. It actually feels quite nice peeing in your own garden
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 13th May 19, 7:24 PM
    • 6,051 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 13th May 19, 7:24 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:24 PM
    Get your own cat, this will keep the others away
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 13th May 19, 8:23 PM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    ka7e
    • 13th May 19, 8:23 PM
    • 13th May 19, 8:23 PM
    Get your own cat, this will keep the others away
    Originally posted by iammumtoone

Tell that to the moggie that keeps coming in my cat flap to pinch my cat's dinner!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • Johnhowell
    • By Johnhowell 13th May 19, 8:40 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Johnhowell
    • 13th May 19, 8:40 PM
    • 13th May 19, 8:40 PM
    get a chip detector cat flap to stop other cats getting in. We did this. Our cat likes sitting outside making the flap click open/click locked over and over... ;-) But no other cats getting in.

J
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 13th May 19, 8:44 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 2,109 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 13th May 19, 8:44 PM
    • 13th May 19, 8:44 PM
    Tell that to the moggie that keeps coming in my cat flap to pinch my cat's dinner!
    Originally posted by ka7e
    Had that happen at previous house, now the cat-flap only allows entry with the right embedded micro-chip.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th May 19, 9:58 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 7,067 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 13th May 19, 9:58 PM
    • 13th May 19, 9:58 PM
    Many years ago we had problems with the cats belonging to cat crazy neighbour. Used a sonic deterrent and they learned to avoid our garden.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 13th May 19, 10:07 PM
    • 6,051 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    You could try a water pistol every time you see one (just don't get a mega super blaster!).

My cats used to sometimes come home with a wet patch on them where someone must have sprayed them with water, I had no issue with this I understand not everyone likes cats and it doesn't do the cat any harm.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th May 19, 5:14 AM
    • 28,506 Posts
    • 100,298 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Your fence is too low and the top is probably too rigid if you can put spikes on it. Honestly, what would those or barbed wire do when cats can easily shin up and down prickly hawthorn trees?

You are restricted by law to a 2m fence, but if neighbours are OK with it, you might go a bit higher with some floppy polypropylene netting, angled inwards and held by something like mild steel bars and cable ties. However, 2m overall is high enough. If there is no purchase at the top of the fence, animals won't like it. You can get the netting in black, which is UV stabilised and less obvious visually.

I know this works, because it's kept foxes out of an orchard where I run hens for 9 years now. Cats go over mine because the posts aren't adapted as above and they just act as wonderful routes in/out, but then I want the cats in there to deal with any rodents the hens can't murder for themselves!
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 14th May 19, 7:45 AM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    loulou41
    I have tried everything you can think of to deter cats from pooing in my friont
    and back lawns. I cannot enjoy my garden because of these. There are about three cats who visited regularly and behave as if it is their own garden relaxing and sunbathing. I am also unlucky thatI have to put up with barking dog on one side and pigeons poos on the other side. Neighbour keeps racing pigeons and they like resting on the aerial brackets and poos on window sills and pavement. I paid an aerial man at a cost of 200 to resite aerial and installed bird spikes. Problem sorted at a cost. Regarding the cats I gave up and everyday I inspect the lawn and pick the poos. I find wilko cats deterrent ok but it can be costly if you have a large garden and you need to reapply often esp when it rains.
    • Rusty Shackleton
    • By Rusty Shackleton 14th May 19, 8:53 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Rusty Shackleton
    I just wish owners were more considerate and kept their bloody pests inside.
    Originally posted by JackeeBoy
    It's not inconsiderate of cat owners to let cats exhibit natural behaviours like roaming outside and hunting, the inconsideration is from people who expect the world to fit around them just so their garden is neater and tidier. Do you have a problem with the birds that invariably poo in your garden?

You're complaining about foxes too, who's 'consideration' do you think would solve that one? The good news is that foxes generally don't like cats, so the cats might be helping you in that regard at least!

If you have this much problem with wildlife, I'd suggest you'd be better of staying indoors.
    • stator
    • By stator 14th May 19, 9:10 AM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 4,938 Thanks
    stator
    A stiff fence will not put them off, you need something hard to climb

My recommendation is bamboo fencing. You need to fix it to something but it will be very difficult to climb

The other option is a motion sensor sprinkler system
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 14th May 19, 9:15 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Stratus
    I feel sorry for the OP. Finding cat poo in your garden is truly disgusting, especially near your vegetables. I find it incredibly disrespectful of people to buy cats knowing they will use their neighbours garden as a toilet. No one really needs a cat.

I'm fortunate that in my current house we don't have much of a cat problem although there is one that comes occasionally to leave its mark. If I see it, a handful of 20mm gravel or a log from the log basket hurled in its direction can be quite effective especially when they bang as they bounce off the shed side (the gravel and wood I mean, not the cat).

In previous houses I have had considerable cat problems and never found a reliable solution. I was hopeful of a sonic cat scarer but I could hear it too and found it quite uncomfortable to have turned on.

If I had a problem today I would have an experiment with one of the automatic water scarers. Amazon carry a few examples which, as you would expect, carry mixed reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Repeller-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B0153BJ7NQ?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_4224903031_5&pf_rd _r=PMAW7GY0P1N2M15R2Q9D&pf_rd_p=de30aaa1-3c3e-51da-a453-451fdb3aedaa&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=4224903031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5 A1OLE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Defence-119392-Pest-Control/dp/B01MTCA1KD/ref=sr_1_17?crid=14EPQYVUXCCUN&keywords=pest+contr ol&qid=1557824989&rnid=1642204031&s=garden&sprefix =Pest+Control%2Caps%2C312&sr=1-17
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 14th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    We use something called 'silent roar' it's a lion poo extract that comes in granules. The granules don't smell and are easy to apply. It's quite pricey but really does work for us and my parents and seems to last a while.

My neighbour has a cat and the cat only comes in our garden when it's time to reapply the granules.. it also keeps them away from the bird feeder in the front garden.

I tried the other cat repellent granules and they just didn't last very long.
    • carldaughtery
    • By carldaughtery 14th May 19, 11:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    carldaughtery
    Cats don't like the smell of rue, pennyroyal, lavender, and lemon thyme. So, you can plant some of these around your garden where cats are entering from. Also, to repel foxes, scent repellants will be effective.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 14th May 19, 12:19 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I feel sorry for the OP. Finding cat poo in your garden is truly disgusting, especially near your vegetables. I find it incredibly disrespectful of people to buy cats knowing they will use their neighbours garden as a toilet. No one really needs a cat.

I'm fortunate that in my current house we don't have much of a cat problem although there is one that comes occasionally to leave its mark. If I see it, a handful of 20mm gravel or a log from the log basket hurled in its direction can be quite effective especially when they bang as they bounce off the shed side (the gravel and wood I mean, not the cat).

In previous houses I have had considerable cat problems and never found a reliable solution. I was hopeful of a sonic cat scarer but I could hear it too and found it quite uncomfortable to have turned on.

If I had a problem today I would have an experiment with one of the automatic water scarers. Amazon carry a few examples which, as you would expect, carry mixed reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Repeller-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B0153BJ7NQ?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_4224903031_5&pf_rd _r=PMAW7GY0P1N2M15R2Q9D&pf_rd_p=de30aaa1-3c3e-51da-a453-451fdb3aedaa&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=4224903031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5 A1OLE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Defence-119392-Pest-Control/dp/B01MTCA1KD/ref=sr_1_17?crid=14EPQYVUXCCUN&keywords=pest+contr ol&qid=1557824989&rnid=1642204031&s=garden&sprefix =Pest+Control%2Caps%2C312&sr=1-17 [/QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Stratus

You might find you suddenly get a rodent problem if all your neighbors got rid of the cats.

I live in a rural area and a stream runs down the back of the houses on my lane, my neighbor hates cats but is still very grateful I have them as we don't have a rodent problem anymore due to them!

So yes, I think I do actually need a cat

I get stray cats around my house too, and I turn the hose on them

OP - are you sure it is cat poo on the grass - cats tend to go in soil where they can bury it?
    Last edited by Tammykitty; 14-05-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th May 19, 12:44 PM
    • 9,526 Posts
    • 31,983 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    A colleague of mine was going to give a kilo of lion poo to a neighbour who's cat annoyed him. We managed to persuade him to apply the poo to his own garden around the perimeter & give the dear lady of box of Roses. (The nicest people can have the Oddest 'blind spot's.)

Chester zoo no longer sell the lion poo on biohazard grounds but the Silent Roar stuff has mixed opinions. Got to be worth a try?
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 14th May 19, 12:53 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    couriervanman
    You could try a water pistol every time you see one (just don't get a mega super blaster!).

My cats used to sometimes come home with a wet patch on them where someone must have sprayed them with water, I had no issue with this I understand not everyone likes cats and it doesn't do the cat any harm.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    My supersoaker is locked and loaded with water and a little white vinegar........worked a treat and cats finally got the message although one tabby stills try's his luck,but iv'e got him in my sights
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,517Users online

Martin's Twitter