Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gem03
    • By gem03 13th May 19, 1:18 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gem03
    How to get workmen to finsish work
    • 13th May 19, 1:18 PM
    How to get workmen to finsish work 13th May 19 at 1:18 PM
    Had a new drive and patio. The work was poor and I was miss sold drainage which a friend says didn't do anything and wasn't needed. I asked that the work be put right and for a refund for the miss sold drainage.
    He said he would put the work right and do additional work rather than refund for the drainage, which I agreed to.
    Although he left someone with me for a couple of days the work was still poor; not done with skill or care. The whole experience with them was not good as he was belittling.

The work has not been completed and he said he was having trouble getting the right colour slabs to complete the patio.
    I emailed to ask when he would return to complete but had no reply. I rang and he said he does now have the slabs but he wont return due to someone threatening him.

He did tell me that a guy dove up to him when he was parked outside my house and told him not to do anymore work at my house, that if he saw him in the area again he would smash his face in. Not nice for him I know.

He reported this to the police. He is telling me that the police have told him not to venture in the area until the matter is resolved.; this is the reason he is giving me for not completing the work.

What to do? The work has been paid for and I would like it to be completed.
Page 1
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 13th May 19, 1:41 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Tallaght
    • 13th May 19, 1:41 PM
    • 13th May 19, 1:41 PM
    Was it a local business doing the work ?
    • gem03
    • By gem03 13th May 19, 1:53 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gem03
    • 13th May 19, 1:53 PM
    • 13th May 19, 1:53 PM
    Yes it is a local business near to me.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th May 19, 2:04 PM
    • 17,302 Posts
    • 13,480 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th May 19, 2:04 PM
    • 13th May 19, 2:04 PM
    Had a new drive and patio. The work was poor and I was miss sold drainage which a friend says didn't do anything and wasn't needed. I asked that the work be put right and for a refund for the miss sold drainage.
    He said he would put the work right and do additional work rather than refund for the drainage, which I agreed to.
    Although he left someone with me for a couple of days the work was still poor; not done with skill or care. The whole experience with them was not good as he was belittling.

The work has not been completed and he said he was having trouble getting the right colour slabs to complete the patio.
    I emailed to ask when he would return to complete but had no reply. I rang and he said he does now have the slabs but he wont return due to someone threatening him.

He did tell me that a guy dove up to him when he was parked outside my house and told him not to do anymore work at my house, that if he saw him in the area again he would smash his face in. Not nice for him I know.

He reported this to the police. He is telling me that the police have told him not to venture in the area until the matter is resolved.; this is the reason he is giving me for not completing the work.

What to do? The work has been paid for and I would like it to be completed.
    Originally posted by gem03
    Speak to the police and ask if they can rule this out as it sounds like made up story
    • gem03
    • By gem03 13th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gem03
    • 13th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 13th May 19, 2:34 PM
    Thats what I was thinking. I will talk to police but not sure if they will be able to give information to me.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th May 19, 2:41 PM
    • 6,814 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 13th May 19, 2:41 PM
    • 13th May 19, 2:41 PM
    Id contact him again mentioning that as he isnt fulfilling the contract agreed he will be liable for any remedial work needed to complete the job. Get 3 quotes from local trades people to put it right and forward them on to him asking which he would prefer you picked (not suggesting you listen to him but him seeing the quote amounts will hopefully kick him in to gear).

Hopefully hell come back, if he doesnt, providing you have an adress and suspect he can afford to pay for it pursue him through the courts.
    Don't be angry!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 17,302 Posts
    • 13,480 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 13th May 19, 3:16 PM
    Thats what I was thinking. I will talk to police but not sure if they will be able to give information to me.
    Originally posted by gem03
    They will if you phrase it right.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 13th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 13th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:12 PM
    Did you get 53 quotes and go for the cheapest?
    • Mrs Arthur Crown
    • By Mrs Arthur Crown 13th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Mrs Arthur Crown
    • 13th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 13th May 19, 7:37 PM
    Unfortunately, as you have paid up front, you may never see the workmen or your money again. Before I read to the end of the post, I was going to say "threaten not to pay the balance" as that should have worked.

I hope he is honest enough to return and complete the work to your satisfaction.
    • gem03
    • By gem03 13th May 19, 7:47 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gem03
    3 quotes and went with the best reviews. He wasn't the cheapest, wish I'd gone with the cheapest and saved myself some money.

I was just wondering if others would think the same as me, that he is spinning me a tale. (he certainly has in the past, he's not turned up a few times with some story or another).

It's not nice to have workmen treat you badly and also do a bad job.

I will follow this up but I was hoping he would finish work first.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 14th May 19, 7:35 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    mobileron
    I had a similar problem,told him if he didnt complete that social media is very powerful.
    He laughed and then pleaded for me to remove all my comments,i said i would when he completed the job. He finished it the next day.
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 16th May 19, 10:28 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    TripleH
    I think for me, unless I know the person doing the work, I would always expect to keep a retainer and pay in installments. Any firm refusing that and/or demanding payment in full up front will not get my custom.

I know not much use to the op. but more so for other users.

Failing all that, a cattle prod? (to answer the question raised)
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 19th May 19, 12:34 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 909 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Well, evidently he's motivated by threats of violence. Call him up and say if he doesn't complete the job, you'll smash his face in?

(Joke!)
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,265Posts Today

7,789Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mr_S_David: @MartinSLewis I don?t have a lot, but feel I?m more fortunate than a lot so hit the HAVE button, it?s not rocket science or?

• It's fascinating how some seem almost angry with me for "not defining haves and have-nots." Yet that's not the p? https://t.co/2gC22t7YAJ

• RT @melanie__King: @MartinSLewis ?Haves? to me isn?t financial or materialistic, it?s mainly about freedom of mind, not being oppressed and?

• Follow Martin