PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 13th May 2019

Valli
Valli Posts: 24,759 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 16 May 2019 at 9:22PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ Nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ Person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ Miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK - here goes this week...

Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers/Dining Room

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
Replace what lives there, wiping as you go
Empty bin and clean it out too
Wipe sill, sockets, door handles and switches
Clear and clean sink and accessories - don't forget those out-of-sight places - under plugs and under draining racks
Clean/polish table - wipe mats/change cloth
Check fruit and wash bowl
Throw away your manky dish cloth and replace with a new one!

Level 2

Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, not forgetting handles and tops and bottom as well as fronts!
Clean hob - thoroughly. Wash all detachable parts too.
Sort fridge and wipe seals; weave stuff that needs using up into your meal plan
Dust dining area/room

Level 3

Clean oven - don't forget lamp covers - remove them and wash them if you can
Sweep/mop/vacuum floor
Wipe out or wash out whiffy bins
Clean windows - and wipe the frames inside and out as far as you can

Extras
HHI
Mad Half Hour
Binbag dance

Triffic Tuesday - living room loveliness

Level 1

Open the window
empty bins
discard (recycle) out of date newspapers and magazines
Vacuum or wipe sofas etc and plump cushions - don't forget to clean under seat pads!
Tidy/dust/wipe coffee table

Level 2

Clean the window
Dust the fireplace/mantel
Dust any ornaments in/around/on fire
Remake fire
Wipe sockets/switches and handles
Clean remotes

Level 3

Dust everything else
Sweep/mop floor, moving any furniture you're able to
Wash any throws

Extras

S&S bathroom
S&S kitchen (but it will be the list tomorrow so don't worry)
HHI
MAD half hour

Hump Day - Wipy Wednesday
(Bathrooms and en suites)

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain - get it on the line!
Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
Scrub bath
Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
Clean shower tray
Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
Flush loo again
Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo
With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
Wash loo brush and holder and dry them outside in the sun - death to all germies!

Level 3

Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
Bleach the drain
Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
S&S kitchen
Cook a 'double' meal and freeze the spare ready for when you need/deserve a lazy evening
Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
Go through your odd socks - if any of them have been there a l-o-n-g time bite the bullet and bin them!
MAD half hour

Thursday Thrills - the boudoir. You deserve a clean, tidy, restful bedroom - and you NEED it too, to re-energise

Level 1

Open windows w-i-d-e
Strip bed
Allow to air
Turn mattress if (a)necessary (b)you have assistance or (c) muscles
Remake bed

level 2
Clear floordrobe and chairdrobe
Clean windows
Vacuum, sweep or mop floor

Level 3
Dust all sides and shelves
With a just damp cloth wipe all your lotion and potion bottles, hairdryers (especially if you use product while blow drying) etc. and put all perfumes away in a drawer. Take it from a former lab. tech.
Polish mirrors

Extras
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
HHI
MAD half hour - hit that TOOTS

Friday Flourish - Hall, stairs, landing, lobby, porch...whatever gunky passageway needs some TLC

Level 1

Clean windows - this includes wiping frames and sills
Bang mats outside
Take a feather dusty to all those nooks and crannies and tickle out those eight legged fiends
Put as much as you can away out of sight - if necessary fling old coats
Polish any wooden balustrades or bannisters
Wipe sticky door plates and handles
Dust everywhere
Clean light shades
Check outside lights are working
Dust skirtings
Vacuum, sweep or mop floors as appropriate
Wash down doors - inside and out
Polish door furniture
Clean icky cat flaps

Extras

Bin bag dance...you know you want to
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
HHI
Spend that me time on you!
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes please, I’m in. Thank you for all the threads and all the work that goes into keeping us in line. Much appreciated.
    It’s another busy week ahead and GCSEs kick off tomorrow in the Fayolle household. Fun, fun, fun.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi and ty for Fred.

Girls all in bed .. it's been a long long day.
    OH is off Tuesday, Thursday and Friday this week.

I've been naughty and bought some more new clothes.. I seem to like being less fat.. I even bought a jumpsuit.. it will probably be way too big because I am short.. but we will see! I got a couple of pairs of jeans, 2 jumpers because I am absolutely FREEEEEEEEEEZING all the time. and a glittery skirt.

The garden is getting watered and regrassed tomorrow.. it was too dark by the time I got beasties to bed.

I still have half a line of washing to bring in too... it is truly NEVER ending!

Have a lovely week all xx
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Morning all.
    Combination of staying at the parentals (who need darker curtains in the room I sleep in) and a work conference this week means I'm not home to even contemplate flying until Saturday.
    Mum is a superstar and dealing with the washing for me.
    Leaving me with nothing to worry about apart from work.

Love my mum.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello

Can I join you all? I have been following along for a while but always seem to get stuck and end up with loads to do on the weekend leaving less time for ‘me’ time and family time.

I am working from home today and the house was cleaned yesterday but will try to do at least Level one of kitchen and some daily things to keep me accountable.

Thank you for having me!
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    Welcome Badcat. Morning all and thanks for the list.

I have things that must be done today, so no procrastinating. The first of which is reading my How to be a good councillor handbook ahead of my first meeting.

I also hope that DH will be home soon so I can have a bath instead of a shower. I can only do that when he's in the house now as I no longer have the strength in my right side to lift myself out of the bath.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,890 Forumite
    Good morning
    Welcome Badcat.
    It’s a full day at the paid stuff today but I’ll try to tick off some level 1 this evening after dinner. No idea what dinner is as I have forgotten to meal plan. A job for this evening. Wm loaded with towels so that DH can set it running when he gets home.
    Have a lovely day all.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    morning all

hope you all have a good day

welcome badcat
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Hi Badcat :)
    I pretty much fluffed it last week, so I'm going for a new strategy.
    Im going to do the list in the morning, before I do anything else. When there's anything I can't manage I'll know exactly what it is, and I can ask my dad or son to help when they visit. I'm much happier when my house is nice, so it should be the first thing I do each day, because being happy is important.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • Mademoiselle
    Mademoiselle Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all

Lovely sunny day here so WM is already on. Had a good weekend across the water for step mothers birthday. Nice but quite hard work so very glad that I'm only working Tues & Wed this week.

Got a load of stuff to try and get done this week as out new boat arrives on Friday so having day off to go and see it and I want to get all the stuff that goes back on it thoroughly cleaned (We've had since December to do this but guess what!) First load of boat crockery in the DW. It was clean but I like to give it a thorough clean before start of season.

House reasonably straight and hoover was put round on Friday. Shower cleaned before I got out of it this morning.

Out this evening with freind so looking forward to that, just hope it is not a late night.

Don't forget to look after yourselves and SMILE
  • Hi everyone :hello:

I need to ramp up more of an effort now to keep on top of things every day, as I interviewed on Saturday for a part time job at the weekends, and got the call to offer me it yesterday. It's to bring in a bit more money for me to pay OH more towards the costs of the house as we are a bit skint from bills at the moment and our respective debt repayments until his house is sold, so I will have less time at home over the weekend to catch up on things I haven't done in the week!

Not starting with a clean slate this week as I still have ironing to do that I ran out of time for on Saturday as I had some pamper stuff I wanted to do for myself, and couldn't be bothered to do last night once we had got back from visiting my family by the coast for the day - luckily some of the few things I did iron were my work trousers and a shirt :rotfl: I will endeavour to get most of the levels done after work this evening, and plan to start a wash early in the am tomorrow to go out on the airer outside whilst I am at work :)

Hope you all had a fab weekend xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport