Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 11th May 19, 4:08 PM
    • 187Posts
    • 160Thanks
    APennySaved
    How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner in 2019?
    • 11th May 19, 4:08 PM
    How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner in 2019? 11th May 19 at 4:08 PM
    Hi

We are looking for a cleaner to help on a fortnightly basis with house celaning.

How much does it cost for a domestic cleaner, in the UK, in 2019?

(I found an old thread with the same subject - different year or course! ,) - at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5042153, but it has been closed. So I am starting this fresh thread re 2019 rates.)

We are looking to hire privately rather than through an agency, as my old cleaner - a lovely Polish lady - said the ladies never get a good part of what the client pays the agency.

Last time I had a private cleaner was about 10 years ago. So the rates then would NOT be the rates now!!

Any ideas?
    Last edited by APennySaved; 11-05-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . !

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
Page 1
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 11th May 19, 4:19 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    Bossypants
    • 11th May 19, 4:19 PM
    • 11th May 19, 4:19 PM
    12/13 p.h. seems to be standard in my area.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th May 19, 5:19 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 11th May 19, 5:19 PM
    • 11th May 19, 5:19 PM
    I have a cleaner, she started off at 10 per hour around 6 months ago, but she now charges 12.50
    A friend also does it, she charges 15 per hour, both in West Yorkshire

• Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th May 19, 5:25 PM
    • 26,918 Posts
    • 72,045 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th May 19, 5:25 PM
    • 11th May 19, 5:25 PM
    I pay 12 an hour
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th May 19, 6:28 PM
    • 13,402 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th May 19, 6:28 PM
    • 11th May 19, 6:28 PM
    15 an hour for our home and less for the holiday lets (12 from memory) but the house cleaner also oversees the holiday lets.
    • General Applause
    • By General Applause 11th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    General Applause
    • 11th May 19, 7:16 PM
    • 11th May 19, 7:16 PM
    I charge 15 an hour. I'm in North Yorkshire.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 11th May 19, 9:26 PM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 3,388 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 11th May 19, 9:26 PM
    • 11th May 19, 9:26 PM
    I get paid by mine

Had a charming young lady move in as a paying lodger just before Christmas. She is quite happy to spend a few hours each week doing a bit cleaning around the house.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Keith99
    • By Keith99 12th May 19, 10:19 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Keith99
    • 12th May 19, 10:19 AM
    • 12th May 19, 10:19 AM
    How many hours of cleaning a month do people get done?
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 12th May 19, 10:46 AM
    • 6,244 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 12th May 19, 10:46 AM
    • 12th May 19, 10:46 AM
    Anyone but rip off Molly Maids.
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 12th May 19, 11:14 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 1,391 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    10 - 12 an hour in London. I have mine done for 2 hours every two weeks, it's a two bed flat.
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 15th May 19, 4:25 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    APennySaved
    Thanks all
    Great advice - thanks!

So we reckon 11-12p/h might be the average price. It was approx. 7p/h the last time I paid for a private domestic cleaner. So the rate hasn't gone up that much since then! :-)

No offence to the poster General Applause, but I don't think we'd pay someone 15 to clean our house unless they were very good at the actual job as well as very reliable! That would minimise my management time of the job = good. In which case the money spent would be worthwhile. And sadly you don't find out how good & reliable staff are till they've done the job for a while.
    Last edited by APennySaved; 15-05-2019 at 4:27 PM.
    APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . !

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 15th May 19, 5:53 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    noclaf
    I had a reliable cleaner at 10 p/HR but due to an injury they are no longer able to come. There are so many agencies at higher prices which.I don't have an issue with as such but do worry about reliability/honesty esp when you are away at work and have a vunerable relative at home. I've relied on word of mouth so far but doesn't always work if nobody is aware.of anyone in the local area etc
    • General Applause
    • By General Applause 15th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    General Applause
    Great advice - thanks!

So we reckon 11-12p/h might be the average price. It was approx. 7p/h the last time I paid for a private domestic cleaner. So the rate hasn't gone up that much since then! :-)

No offence to the poster General Applause, but I don't think we'd pay someone 15 to clean our house unless they were very good at the actual job as well as very reliable! That would minimise my management time of the job = good. In which case the money spent would be worthwhile. And sadly you don't find out how good & reliable staff are till they've done the job for a while.
    Originally posted by APennySaved

No offence taken. Personally, I have over 10 years NHS experience, cleaning everything from offices to operating theatres.

I pick and choose the houses I want to clean and I have no shortage of clients, many of whom have offered to sing my praises to anyone wanting references.

At the end of the day, you pay an average price and you will get an average cleaner.
    • Oxid8uk
    • By Oxid8uk 15th May 19, 7:07 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Oxid8uk
    I pay my cleaner 13/hr (East Midlands) and she is self-employed. She does mine for 2.5hrs every 2 weeks (4 bed house). She is amazing and very thorough - I don't know what I would do without her!
    • Oxid8uk
    • By Oxid8uk 15th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Oxid8uk
    At the end of the day, you pay an average price and you will get an average cleaner.
    Originally posted by General Applause
    Completely agree with this. I pay more an hour compared to what other people on the street pay for their cleaners and they are always complaining about things being missed/forgotten, being unreliable etc. I have never had such issues with my cleaner. It's worth the extra fiver every two weeks to have the job done properly.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 15th May 19, 7:51 PM
    • 2,670 Posts
    • 3,883 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I pay my cleaner 13/hr (East Midlands) and she is self-employed. She does mine for 2.5hrs every 2 weeks (4 bed house). She is amazing and very thorough - I don't know what I would do without her!
    Originally posted by Oxid8uk
    Gosh she must be good. 2.5 hours a fortnight on a 4 bed house.

I live alone in a 2 bed house, I have my cleaner in for 2 hours every week, so 4 hours in a fortnight.

I pay mine 12 & I supply materials.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 15th May 19, 9:21 PM
    • 16,444 Posts
    • 22,731 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I pay 12.50/hour and my cleaner provides a lot of her own cleaning stuff too.

Reliability is more important that being thorough! My cleaner certainly isn't the greatest, but the main bits get done well, and she always turns up every week.

I used to live in Oxford and had an amazing cleaner, but she was SO unreliable! So annoying.

I'm in Oxfordshire.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th May 19, 8:09 AM
    • 3,747 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    Mistral001
    It is more important to get a good one than a cheap one.

I employed a cleaner a few years ago. The first thing she said to me when she answered my advertisement, was that she had references. I thought that was a bit strange as I had not asked for them.

She took two hours to clean a set of venetian blinds in a bay window - a job which usually took me half an hour. She could not do any hoovering because she had a bad back. AT the time I was seeing a chiropractor for my own bad back that I had injured a few years earlier and was coping with the hoovering by bending my knees and hoovering from side to side rather than back an forward. She would bring her daughter along sometimes because she said she could only work half the usually hours that day, but the daughter was even slower than her mother. The list goes on.

I put up with it for a couple of months as I was working (from home) about 12 hours a day and looking after a sick relative at the same time and could not take the time to get someone else.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 16-05-2019 at 8:12 AM.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th May 19, 8:19 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 6,595 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    My cleaner charges 13.50 per hour, so 2 hours costs me 27.

I'm just amazed at what she gets done in 2 hours!! Hoovers upstairs and downstairs + stairs, dusts ditto, washes kitchen floor and cleans the bathroom. I started using her because a bad hip meant lugging the hoover around was difficult. The hip has been better for a while now...
    • kkgree1
    • By kkgree1 16th May 19, 11:19 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    kkgree1
    My parents pay 12 per hour but that's reasonable for our area (Cambridge) where you can easily pay 15 - 18 per hour for cleaning. They have 2 hours a week for a 4 bed house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,547Posts Today

4,966Users online

Martin's Twitter